Pass It On-Outdoor Mentors Camp Atterbury Pistol Event (Sept. 30, 2017)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

gopher

Sharpshooter
    Feb 13, 2013
    Zionsville, IN
    DATE: Sept. 30, 2017
    TIME: 8:30 AM to NOON
    VENUE: Range 15 at Camp Atterbury
    COST: $150 (20 tickets available; we will make another 20 tickets available for an afternoon session if the morning session fills up)
    LUNCH: $10/person (OPTIONAL; consists of pulled pork BBQ, baked beans, chips)
    URL (tickets and event details): https://www.outsidementors.org/event/2017-sept-30-camp-atterbury/

Pass It On-Outdoor Mentors will be running another event at the Camp Atterbury "pop-up target" pistol range on Sept. 30, 2017. This is a unique range that has computerized pop-up targets that can be programmed to raise/lower in a myriad of sequences and with varying degrees of difficulty for the shooter. This range is not normally accessible to the general public and is used for US Army as well as Special Forces training.

This is NOT a training event but rather an opportunity to put your previous training to the test. There will be NRA certified pistols instructors present to give LIMITED informal instruction; participants are expected to be able to safely handle their pistol. The event is setup to maximize your time on the firing line and putting rounds downrange. You will get computerized score sheets that report your hit/kill ratio ("kill" is a hit in the center of mass or head area of the target; "hit" is a hit anywhere else on the target). At our June event at this same range, we ran the US Army Military Police qualification course of fire.

Drawing from a holster will be allowed (but not required) with previous training on how to do so safely (there will be limitations on the type of holster allowed; see the event listing on the Pass It On-Outdoor Mentors website). If the RSOs determine that your holster or draw technique is unsafe, you will be asked to discontinue drawing from a holster and to fire from the "low ready" instead.

Limited movement will also be allowed (e.g., stepping "off the X" when drawing); however, due to the nature of the firing line, movement beyond a step to the side is unsafe and will not allowed.

Not sure what this event entails? Check out one of the video's from our June event at this same range:

[video]https://youtu.be/qizXjlE-ORE[/video]

More photos and videos from the June event are available at our photo and video galleries. You can also read the AAR from the June event at the INGO thread here: https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...-camp-atterbury-pistol-event-6-10-2017-a.html

Jackson

Master
    Mar 31, 2008
    West side of Indy
    no “appendix” holsters will be allowed—there are 10 firing positions at the range we will be using and it is nearly impossible to use these types of holsters without “flagging” someone else either on or behind the firing line.

This statement is not at all true with regard to proper draw stroke from Appendix holsters.

TheJoker

Expert
    Mar 9, 2010
    Shelby County
    Oh, I'm in. The last event was officially the most fun that can be had with one's cloths on! I'd better order another case of 9x19mm.

Last edited:

308jake

Master
    Feb 5, 2010
    Brownsburg
    This statement is not at all true with regard to proper draw stroke from Appendix holsters.
    You left out part of the quote.

Drawing from a holster:
    drawing from a holster will be allowed at this event. However, there will be some limitations on the holster:
    • the holster must fit your handgun—this means that your handgun should correctly fit in the holster and that the trigger is completelycovered when your handgun is holstered.
    • no “appendix”, “small of the back”, “cross draw” or “shoulder” holsters will be allowed—there are 10 firing positions at the range we will be using and it is nearly impossible to use these types of holsters without “flagging” someone else either on or behind the firing line. The holster you use for the event should position your handgun in the 3 to 4 o’clock position on the strong side of your belt.

Last edited:

308jake

Master
    Feb 5, 2010
    Brownsburg
    Just one so far! Kathy's ankle is healing nicely. The Doc gave her the okay to ride her motorcycle. So, she will probably come out to play this time. I'll need to buy her two or three more magazines for her Lady Smith.

I think she will fall in love. She liked the steel, but this is far superior. Midwayusa is having a free shipping over $99 sale today. Stack the mags deep.

Jackson

Master
    Mar 31, 2008
    West side of Indy
    You left out part of the quote.

Drawing from a holster:
    drawing from a holster will be allowed at this event. However, there will be some limitations on the holster:
    • the holster must fit your handgun—this means that your handgun should correctly fit in the holster and that the trigger is completelycovered when your handgun is holstered.
    • no “appendix”, “small of the back”, “cross draw” or “shoulder” holsters will be allowed—there are 10 firing positions at the range we will be using and it is nearly impossible to use these types of holsters without “flagging” someone else either on or behind the firing line. The holster you use for the event should position your handgun in the 3 to 4 o’clock position on the strong side of your belt.

I sure did. I didn't disagree with the other parts. It makes it sound like the reason to disallow appendix carry is fear of sweeping other participants. If that isn't the reason, what is the concern about appendix carry at the event?

308jake

Master
    Feb 5, 2010
    Brownsburg
    I sure did. I didn't disagree with the other parts. It makes it sound like the reason to disallow appendix carry is fear of sweeping other participants. If that isn't the reason, what is the concern about appendix carry at the event?

The concern is not everyone can do it safely, and with a limited staff, it's easier if everyone is carrying the same way. The line is 100 yards long and each shooter is approximately 10 yards from each other. A couple RSOs at each end and an overwatch RSO can watch everyone draw in a safe manner from the 3 or 9 o'clock position. If 20 people are doing 20 different things, many more volunteer eyes are necessary. This is not a training course, but rather a shooting course with some personalized instruction. As a result, there is not time to cover and drill drawing from a holster. We hope everyone has that mastered ahead of time, but if not, the RSOs will make the low ready option available.

TheJoker

Expert
    Mar 9, 2010
    Shelby County
    Okay, Kathy and I are in for the event and the post event feast. We are checking on the grand kids. I think Matthew is the only one that's not busy with marching band or color guard. Are the young folks free again this time?

ETA: Oh, why didn't I have to list serial numbers this time?

Last edited:

308jake

Master
    Feb 5, 2010
    Brownsburg
    Okay, Kathy and I are in for the event and the post event feast. We are checking on the grand kids. I think Matthew is the only one that's not busy with marching band or color guard. Are the young folks free again this time?

I will get back to you regarding the youth. The base didn't require it this time. They've changed a bunch of their rules lately so we're all learning together.

bthomp9

Plinker
    Jan 26, 2013
    tipton

The Army used to have a requirement on getting the serial number, they changed some policies and it is no longer a requirement. So we removed the requirement as well. We had to jump through a lot of hoops to get movement allowed it was over a ten page report. It is one step to the right or left. So that should make this even more fun than last two times which were a blast.

308jake

Master
    Feb 5, 2010
    Brownsburg
    The website for registration will be down Monday and Tuesday as we migrate to a new server. You will be able to sign up Sunday, and hopefully we're back on line Wednesday. The morning session is 3/4 full, and once it is 100%, we will open the afternoon session. Feel free to PM me with any questions.

gopher

Sharpshooter
    Feb 13, 2013
    Zionsville, IN
    The website migration is complete. If you access any outsidementors.org links they should automatically redirect to the same page on pifn.org ("Pay It Forward Now", the name of our new organization). Not all outsidementors.org URLs have a corresponding pifn.org URL, but the important ones do (e.g., the Camp Atterbury Pistol Event).

If you purchased tickets to the Atterbury Pistol event in September, you do NOT need to purchase again. All the ticket purchase and account information from the old website has been migrated to the new website.

If anyone experiences any issues with the new website or purchasing tickets, let me know at webmaster@pifn.org.

The website for registration will be down Monday and Tuesday as we migrate to a new server. You will be able to sign up Sunday, and hopefully we're back on line Wednesday. The morning session is 3/4 full, and once it is 100%, we will open the afternoon session. Feel free to PM me with any questions.

Last edited:

gopher

Sharpshooter
    Feb 13, 2013
    Zionsville, IN
    This event is approaching a sell-out: we have 4 total tickets remaining to be sold for the morning session (1 of these tickets can be an "under 18" ticket). If you want to get in on the morning session, you should be buying your ticket soon.

Once the morning session sells out, we will open up the afternoon session (another 20 tickets).

Don't forget to buy your lunch ticket if you'd like some pulled pork, BBQ beans and chips. Brett will be making all of this himself; just ask any of the guys that went to the June Atterbury Pistol shoot and they'll tell you Brett's pulled pork is not to be missed!

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom