Pass It On-Outdoor Mentors Camp Atterbury Pistol Event (Sept. 30, 2017)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

308jake

Master
    Feb 5, 2010
    Brownsburg
    There is one free youth spot still available for the afternoon and several regular admission spots. The morning is sold out.

TheJoker

Expert
    Mar 9, 2010
    Shelby County
    I am glad to see this filling up quickly. Kathy and I are looking forward to putting down some of those sneaky, popup sons of guns. I know that was very popupist of me. Sorry!

obijohn

Master
    Mar 24, 2008
    Terre Haute
    The concern is not everyone can do it safely, and with a limited staff, it's easier if everyone is carrying the same way. The line is 100 yards long and each shooter is approximately 10 yards from each other. A couple RSOs at each end and an overwatch RSO can watch everyone draw in a safe manner from the 3 or 9 o'clock position. If 20 people are doing 20 different things, many more volunteer eyes are necessary. This is not a training course, but rather a shooting course with some personalized instruction. As a result, there is not time to cover and drill drawing from a holster. We hope everyone has that mastered ahead of time, but if not, the RSOs will make the low ready option available.

If you expect such a disparity in ability, then you should standardize. If all can't draw, then don't let anyone. If you want everyone doing the same thing, it only makes sense. Plus, how do you know the level of ability? A statement by the participant?

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    If you expect such a disparity in ability, then you should standardize. If all can't draw, then don't let anyone. If you want everyone doing the same thing, it only makes sense. Plus, how do you know the level of ability? A statement by the participant?

Drawing from OWB strong side only - keeps the muzzle away from the gooey parts more than other method correct?

I've taken a couple of your classes but can't remember what all types of holster draw we covered. What's the method you recommend to someone just progressing out of basic pistol?

I guess contact Brett to see what all is involved to get other carry / draw methods approved.

Would love to see you there John. It was a blast!

obijohn

Master
    Mar 24, 2008
    Terre Haute
    Strong side, OWB is the easiest to administer, imo. For those that are beginning their training journey, fumbling the draw is very easy to do. I've seen seasoned shooters jack up a draw. The thing to watch out for in particular is reholstering. The only AD's I've seen in my classes were going back into the holster. Exciting to say the least. My point is, if you are going to try to maintain a high tempo, the safest way would be to shoot from a ready position such as high compressed ready or a traditional low ready. I would want to draw from concealment to test myself, but would not be upset if I was required to start any evolution from a ready position.
    Your show, just my thoughts on the subject.
    I'd love to come, but I'll be finishing medical class that weekend.

obijohn

Master
    Mar 24, 2008
    Terre Haute
    I don't want anyone to misunderstand my comments. Just got off the phone with Jake, and we are all on the same page. I think that this activity is an incredible opportunity and should be attended if you are able. If for no other reason than how often can you say that you shot on the same range, same courses of fire that the military uses?
    Again, wish I could be there.

gopher

Sharpshooter
    Feb 13, 2013
    Zionsville, IN
    13 tickets left for this event (all the youth tickets are sold). Let's fill the line for this event; your ticket purchase goes towards funding Pay It Forward Now's youth programming like Dad's Camp. Don't forget the optional pulled pork lunch that Brett will be cooking up; I had it at the June event and it's worth every penny of $10.

308jake

Master
    Feb 5, 2010
    Brownsburg
    There are a few afternoon slots still available. Also, the overall top shot will receive a grand prize courtesy of A&A Optics. This is the last pistol shoot we will be holding at Camp Atterbury in 2017 so get your tickets now.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Boy I'm not sure how I missed this thread! It came across my Facebook feed just now but I'm too late to the party. Sold out. Hopefully next time. I'd have loved to come to something like this.

308jake

Master
    Feb 5, 2010
    Brownsburg
    Boy I'm not sure how I missed this thread! It came across my Facebook feed just now but I'm too late to the party. Sold out. Hopefully next time. I'd have loved to come to something like this.

There are still some afternoon slots available unless I've miscounted. I will check and report back.

gopher

Sharpshooter
    Feb 13, 2013
    Zionsville, IN
    There are afternoon tickets still available (morning is indeed sold out, though).

Subscribe to the Pay It Forward Now email newsletter (sign-up form in the footer of the PIFN website) to get notifications of upcoming events so you don't miss future PIFN events. We also send out a list of upcoming events sponsored by a select list of other Indiana outdoor organizations.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    There are afternoon tickets still available (morning is indeed sold out, though).

Subscribe to the Pay It Forward Now email newsletter (sign-up form in the footer of the PIFN website) to get notifications of upcoming events so you don't miss future PIFN events. We also send out a list of upcoming events sponsored by a select list of other Indiana outdoor organizations.

Thanks. I subscribed but they are showing out of stock on everything but lunch.:)

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom