• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Phase2

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    I refuse to blame “someone” not responsible for the problem. The fact is the Japanese don’t control the shipping and ordering methods of US based companies. That is liberal thinking at its finest. The problem lies solely with [STRIKE]the corporation(s)[/STRIKE]"elite" MBA programs that promoted it.

FTFY

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I refuse to blame “someone” not responsible for the problem. The fact is the Japanese don’t control the shipping and ordering methods of US based companies. That is liberal thinking at its finest. The problem lies solely with the corporation(s).

Well, we seem to have adopted those practices. Every supply house I have dealt with operates on that basis and is they do not sell "X" pieces in a period of time that item, is "Order" only.

Just saying and no, it is the way of things these days. They had a system, we liked it and now we are subjected to it.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    An interesting (and reasonable) explanation of the great TP shortage of 2020...it's not all about the panic.

https://marker.medium.com/what-everyones-getting-wrong-about-the-toilet-paper-shortage-c812e1358fe0

And based on that article, it would explain why there is suddenly a new cheap generic brand of TP at Walmart. Small single ply looking rolls. simple black label with white lettering. And I bet its the same thing we see at institutions. They figured out how to re-tool the commercial mills with recycled fibers and are now shipping the commercial quality stuff to walmarts to fill the void.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Well, we seem to have adopted those practices. Every supply house I have dealt with operates on that basis and is they do not sell "X" pieces in a period of time that item, is "Order" only.

Just saying and no, it is the way of things these days. They had a system, we liked it and now we are subjected to it.

Back in the day (over 20 years ago) when I was still a Supply Troop in the USAF... the "Toyota Way" and "Just in Time" were all in vogue. There were those of us who realized the true mission of the USAF (death from above, basically) and had serious issues with this. We called it "just too late" and pointed out the differences between large retail entities and those whose mission is to kill bad guys, and break their stuff. I'm a Cro-Magnon and I don't know what the **** I'm talking about... unless I do.

Last edited:

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    now i'm wondering if that was intentional?

what 'void' dost thou speaketh of? is there a cheek on either side of said void?

probably not. The article says they just cant keep up with home demand and now commercial demand is falling. So repurpose commercial grade and get it into the homes so we can have ANYTHING.

And the next mystery that needs solved. What the hell is up with Margarine/flavored hydrogenated oil spreads? Are people making sh** tons of cookies or grilled cheese sammiches? Naked Crisco Twister parties? All I can find is stick butter and spreadable (butter+canola) butter in the coolers. Its nuts.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    probably not. The article says they just cant keep up with home demand and now commercial demand is falling. So repurpose commercial grade and get it into the homes so we can have ANYTHING.

And the next mystery that needs solved. What the hell is up with Margarine/flavored hydrogenated oil spreads? Are people making sh** tons of cookies or grilled cheese sammiches? Naked Crisco Twister parties? All I can find is stick butter and spreadable (butter+canola) butter in the coolers. Its nuts.

Really? I only use real butter and I've had the opposite experience. All the butter gone (though it's coming back now) and only the margarine/olive oil/canola oil spreads and sticks left in stock.

Buzz Saw

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 20, 2012
    Southeast IN
    Cameramonkey;8258425 And the next mystery that needs solved. What the hell is up with Margarine/flavored hydrogenated oil spreads? Are people making sh** tons of cookies or grilled cheese sammiches? Naked Crisco Twister parties? All I can find is stick butter and spreadable (butter+canola) butter in the coolers. Its nuts.[/QUOTE said:
    As one who grew up on a dairy farm...buy the butter, you'll never go back to the fake stuff.:cheers:

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I got away from the margarine's some time ago. Wasn't the more recent research pointing to hydrogenated fats being bad vs what they told us 20 years ago? Been using only real butter for a few years, long before it was keto cool.

This year I've been researching shelf stable "butter" for cooking, bulletproof coffee, etc. Research led me to ghee, the pretty expensive "butter" that doesn't require refrigeration. For a couple three months, been using ghee/clarified butter for butter exclusively.

I've been making butter into ghee in the Instant Pot. It's stored in pint jars in the pantry. A working jar, with a spout, is stored on the shelf with other cooking oils.

Time will tell how this holds up and works through the hot months in the kitchen along with packing around smaller quantities for cooking and coffee in the field.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I got away from the margarine's some time ago. Wasn't the more recent research pointing to hydrogenated fats being bad vs what they told us 20 years ago? Been using only real butter for a few years, long before it was keto cool.

This year I've been researching shelf stable "butter" for cooking, bulletproof coffee, etc. Research led me to ghee, the pretty expensive "butter" that doesn't require refrigeration. For a couple three months, been using ghee/clarified butter for butter exclusively.

I've been making butter into ghee in the Instant Pot. It's stored in pint jars in the pantry. A working jar, with a spout, is stored on the shelf with other cooking oils.

Time will tell how this holds up and works through the hot months in the kitchen along with packing around smaller quantities for cooking and coffee in the field.

Yeah, I'm hesitant to hop on anything that they tell us is "bad" for us (like real butter). Same thing with eggs... Eggs bad! Cholesterol! Oh wait... it's "good" cholesterol.. nevermind. :rolleyes: In general, I go by the rule that if it occurs naturally (like real butter, made from real milk), chances are it's better than anything man made (like hydrogenated oils or trans-fats). I've never tried making ghee (although when I make hollandaise sauce, that's exactly what I'm making with clarified butter), but I see it at Aldi all the time, stored in jars at room temperature.

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    Yeah, I'm hesitant to hop on anything that they tell us is "bad" for us (like real butter). Same thing with eggs... Eggs bad! Cholesterol! Oh wait... it's "good" cholesterol.. nevermind. :rolleyes: In general, I go by the rule that if it occurs naturally (like real butter, made from real milk), chances are it's better than anything man made (like hydrogenated oils or trans-fats). I've never tried making ghee (although when I make hollandaise sauce, that's exactly what I'm making with clarified butter), but I see it at Aldi all the time, stored in jars at room temperature.

And even the bad stuff ain’t gonna kill you in moderation. If I eat large quantities of bacon and eggs seven days a week it’s probably not good for me. But if it our Saturday morning treat it’s no big deal.

dprimm

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 13, 2013
    Just West of Indianapolis

i will have to look up this method. Seen the stovetop method. Been thinking of it as a way to long term store vs powdered butter (that just seems wrong)

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    i will have to look up this method. Seen the stovetop method. Been thinking of it as a way to long term store vs powdered butter (that just seems wrong)

I do 4 1/4 pounds of sticks in my pot in pot, covered. 8qt Instant Pot for 12 minutes. Turn off "keep warm" setting.

Let it cool for a while to make handling easier. Ladle off the "butter oil" into pint ball jars.

Milk solids are saved in their own jar in the fridge to work into dishes and recipes. No waist.

Last edited:

Nazgul

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2012
    Near the big river.
    Back in the day (over 20 years ago) when I was still a Supply Troop in the USAF... the "Toyota Way" and "Just in Time" were all in vogue. There were those of us who realized the true mission of the USAF (death from above, basically) and had serious issues with this. We called it "just too late" and pointed out the differences between large retail entities and those whose mission is to kill bad guys, and break their stuff. I'm a Cro-Magnon and I don't know what the **** I'm talking about... unless I do.

Ditto, was never in supply but if the manure impacts the rotary air accelerator you better have LOTS of ammo/grenades/bombs to utilize. Marines use a bunch.

Don

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Seyboldbryan
    Top Bottom