PEOPLE, PLEASE STOP FOR SCHOOL BUSES!!!!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    I don't say this to sound like I'm attacking you Doc... but....

If someone died under your care.
    And it was determined to be 100 percent your fault, you made a mistake..
    Would your job say, "Well, he was distraught. It's okay."????

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    An expression of sorrow for the family is not virtue signalling. It's humanity.

Internet published outrage, anger, threats....or decrying other as cruel, mean, heartless, etc. by people who's only involvement with the story is what they saw on the news and social media....that's virtue signaling.

I guess that was my point as to this being emotion driven. I got lost in my own emotions when trying to describe.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    How will her time in prison affect her children?

Again, I am not fully aware of the situation behind this, if it was purely a case of a distraught women rushing to see her dad and distracted by kids in the car, I would not want her in prison.

Knowing I could keep their mom in the lives of these children I think would bring me comfort.

You are a good and decent man Doc.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    I don't say this to sound like I'm attacking you Doc... but....

If someone died under your care.
    And it was determined to be 100 percent your fault, you made a mistake..
    Would your job say, "Well, he was distraught. It's okay."????

I see it as different. Let’s say i’m Working on a scaffolding 30’ up. My partner slips and I go to grab him and drop my hammer. It lands on someone and kills them.

is that manslaughter? Prison?

but trust me, I fully understand having someone die who I was responsible for

Last edited:

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    Sometimes, after justice takes it's course, it can leave everyone with a deep sadness, seeming like the punishment didn't fix anything, but just added more sorrow to other's lives.

But that doesn't necessarily mean that justice wasn't done correctly.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    I see it as different. Let’s say i’m Working on a scaffolding 30’ up. My partner slips and I go to grab him and drop my hammer. It lands on someone and kills them.

is that manslaughter? Prison?

but trust me, I fully understand having someone die who I was responsible for

Well, since I work "aloft" I know that your hammer was supposed to be strapped to your wrist.
    So yes, you were responsible.
    That's why construction companies started slinging nets under work done "aloft".

singlesix

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, In
    Responsible, yes. But is prison appropriate?

i’m not Saying she’s nkt responsible for hitting the kids. Of course she is
    Yes. From the News report the school bus had the arms extended, every bus I've seen has red flashing lights when the arm is extended. She didn't stop. Don't care if she was making coffee in her car or was detracted, if you are driving then it's your responsibility to follow the traffic rules. What good does prison time do? For one it sends a message the passing a School Bus has serious consequences, sending an offender to prison is not just about punishing that person, it's also about sending a message.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    Question for the people saying she needs to go to prison...

What about the bus driver who saw the vehicle approaching and still waived the kids across the street? Shouldn't his negligence have consequences?

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Question for the people saying she needs to go to prison...

What about the bus driver who saw the vehicle approaching and still waived the kids across the street? Shouldn't his negligence have consequences?

The mistakes go all the way up the pole from the driver of the bus for his actions, the woman who hit the kids and the school board/county for the failure to listen when many complained about the location of the stop.

NKBJ

at the ark
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2010
    Maybe buses should have those side extending legs like mobile cranes. But with spikes.

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    It is that time of the year.

Sure is. At least 3 times a week the wife catches somebody going thru my daughter's stop. Haven't had any cops following her bus this year either, which would be easy money if they did.

They ran a bus stop blitz to start the year and handed out 82 tickets in about 15 school days. 1 to an ex sheriff. 1 to some other .Gov employee and several to nurses. But once the grant for it ran out I only see them follow the buses on 1 major road, and then they block the road so people can't pass the bus v/s when they had the grant and actively sought out violators

Wife complains all the time about my daughters stop but apparently not important enough I guess.

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    School my spouse works for is slowly getting arm cameras.

I will gladly donate money once they run out. I don't even have kids riding the bus, but I have watched more than a few vehicles blow thru like they were passing on the freeway.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Maybe buses should automatically deploy stop strips (spikes) at all bus stops. I'd be good with that. I'm pretty sure the tire shops would be good with that too. :)

singlesix

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, In
    School my spouse works for is slowly getting arm cameras.

I will gladly donate money once they run out. I don't even have kids riding the bus, but I have watched more than a few vehicles blow thru like they were passing on the freeway.

Can they be issued a ticket based on a picture not taken by a LEO?

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Can they be issued a ticket based on a picture not taken by a LEO?

They can if they want to. There’s nothing magic about a picture taken by one person versus another, or by a device. You just need a witness to establish, at the least, that the camera was properly calibrated, better yet, the bus driver to testify that the photo accurately shows what happened.

Top Bottom