• ...and so much more!
  • JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Actually, the contrary is true. The closer you are to the equator, the more value DST has. This is because there's less daylight hours to work with in the summer on the equator than locations farther away.

Why does Alaska have DST? There's no need from a daylight perspective. Now if they could save that daylight for winter...
    Nope, you've got it completely backwards. When the sun comes up at 6am in December and in June, there is no reason to adjust your clock, other than the fact that its handy to be on the same schedule as the rest of the world.
    Well, when the sun comes up at 6am and sets at 6am there's no need either.

This is funny, and I smile when I read it, and it completely makes the point FOR DST. Blankets should be moved down when our feet feet get cold! If you are too stubborn to adjust a clock when the seasons change OR a blanket when you are cold, I just don't know what to say.
    Or just get up earlier. :dunno: Seems to work for livestock.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    I just want to add that this was true when I posted it two years ago and it still remains true today:

Every six months we have this same exact thread. Isn't it about time that Hoosiers either got over it, or started campaigning on a national level to eliminate DST altogether? Stop blaming Mitch for aligning our clocks with the rest of the country.

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    Prior to changing to DST, Indiana businesses have lost an incalculable number of hours of productive time and revenue with out-of-state businesses, simply because the time quirks are just too confusing to keep track.

First question: are these quirks you note caused by the changing of schedules and clocks or leaving them alone?

Second question: Did we adopt said quirkiness because it makes any sense or simply because all the other kids were doing it?

No need to answer, you've already supported my point fairly well. :)

ATM

Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    I just want to add that this was true when I posted it two years ago and it still remains true today:

I rant every year, here's one from the spring of 2009:

It has always seemed ridiculous to me. :n00b:

Why do we even bother to switch back during the winter any more?:dunno:

I'm with Ron Propeil on this one... Set it and forget it.

...Every six months we have this same exact thread. Isn't it about time that Hoosiers either got over it, or started campaigning on a national level to eliminate DST altogether? Stop blaming Mitch for aligning our clocks with the rest of the country.

Campaigning at a national level for something which makes rational rather than emotional sense is currently a lost cause.

I'll just keep doing the same thing and expecting no results, thanks. :yesway:

445supermag

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2012
    Rising Sun, IN
    I LIKE DST. WHEN INDIANA WAS ON CENTRAL TIME I WAS ON DST. I LIVE NEAR CINCINNITA WE WATCH THAT CITY TV STATIONS BECASE OHIO WAS ON DST. OHIO & DEARBORN CO. WAS ON DST. WE ALWAYS CALL IT FAST TIME & THE OTHERS COUNTYS SLOW TIME. IF INDIANA GOES BACK TO CENTRAL TIME I WILL STAR ON DST. THERE ARE SOME COUNTYS HERE IN INDIANA ARE ON CENTRAL TIME NOW.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    I rant every year, here's one from the spring of 2009:

I still think all of Indiana should be off of DST except for the area localized entirely around your house. There should be a special timezone there and it should be UTC -2:37 in the summer and UTC -6:58 in the winter.

mdemetz

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 27, 2009
    NW Elkhart Co.
    Prior to changing to DST, Indiana businesses have lost an incalculable number of hours of productive time and revenue with out-of-state businesses, simply because the time quirks are just too confusing to keep track.

Incalculable = unproveable?

And they are not confused by going West from St Joe County into Laporte/Lake County and being an hour behind and then North into Michigan and being an hour ahead?:rolleyes:

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Incalculable = unproveable?

And they are not confused by going West from St Joe County into Laporte/Lake County and being an hour behind and then North into Michigan and being an hour ahead?:rolleyes:

The difference is that it's always the same hour. It's not two hours ahead for six months and then one hour ahead the other six months. Part of my job involves setting up technical conferences with parties all over the country, and I can (anecdotally) tell you that having everyone change their clocks but Indiana almost always created confusion. Now, I can't assign a dollar value to that, but I was happy to see Indiana finally start following the same DST rules that everyone else was following. As I said before, it should be everyone or no one, but half and half doesn't work.

10Forward

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 7, 2013
    Greenfield
    The difference is that it's always the same hour. It's not two hours ahead for six months and then one hour ahead the other six months. Part of my job involves setting up technical conferences with parties all over the country, and I can (anecdotally) tell you that having everyone change their clocks but Indiana almost always created confusion. Now, I can't assign a dollar value to that, but I was happy to see Indiana finally start following the same DST rules that everyone else was following. As I said before, it should be everyone or no one, but half and half doesn't work.

Same here! I'm IT staff, and there are other staffers in every time zone, a mainframe here, offices in multiple states, and a corporate HQ on the east coast. A pain in the rear end when we didn't participate in DST.

I do remember during the original debate FedEX and UPS put a price tag on on how much Indiana not participating cost them, it was tens of millions per year if I remember correctly.

Simply put, DST is good for business.:yesway:

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Simply put, DST is good for business.:yesway:

I'd argue that "consistent time zones" is good for business rather than simply "DST". The concept of DST is as nutty as a rubber sack full of wet mice. But since DST isn't going away nationwide anytime soon, then Indiana should keep it. I don't care which timezone we're in, just so we're consistent with everyone else.

ATM

Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    I'd argue that "consistent time zones" is good for business rather than simply "DST". The concept of DST is as nutty as a rubber sack full of wet mice...

Exactly.

And what could be more consistent than one time - everywhere? Simplicity! :rockwoot:

First, we ditch the widespread folly of DST clock fiddling, then... we phase out time zones altogether. :yesway:

If everyone just enjoys changing their schedules twice a year, I'm fine with that. No need for all the associated shenanigans if that's all folks really want to do. :nuts:

XMil

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    Columbus
    Exactly.

And what could be more consistent than one time - everywhere? Simplicity! :rockwoot:

First, we ditch the widespread folly of DST clock fiddling, then... we phase out time zones altogether. :yesway:

If everyone just enjoys changing their schedules twice a year, I'm fine with that. No need for all the associated shenanigans if that's all folks really want to do. :nuts:

Until I saw your post, I'm the only one I've ever known that thought one world time is the best solution. I work with people in China and India on a regular basis, and this time shifting fiasco only adds to the confusion.

Imagine the following (almost) actual conversation:

[Rajesh]: Can we have a call at 6:30PM?

[Me]: My 6:30 or your 6:30?

[Rajesh]: Yours.

[Me]: Ok, let's see you're 10 hours ahead of me, so that's 8:30, yeah, that works for me.

[Rajesh]: No, we are 10.5 hours ahead of you, so 8 o'clock.

[Me]: 8 is a bit early.

[Rajesh]: Ok, 9?

[Me]: Oh, right, sure 9 works for me.

[Rajesh]: Very well, we'll call you at 9.

[Me]: Wait, daylight savings time starts next week so that'll be what, 10AM for me, does that work for you?

[Rajesh]: What is daylight savings time?

[Me]: Oh balls! I'll just send an email...

[Rajesh]: What means "Oh balls"?

[Me]: (head on desk)

Now, replace it with this:

[Me]: Can I call you guys at 10PM

[Rajesh]: No, that is a little late for us, can you make it 8PM

[Me]: Sure, sounds good. I'll talk to you next week.

When we get that sorted, we'll talk about using the Julian Calendar...

Top Bottom