Philosophical question: Should women have the right to vote?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    I believe voting rights should be restricted to either or:
    1.) Land ownership (paying property taxes; obviously adjusted to prevent political organizations from selling people 1" plots to gain the ability to vote.)
    2.) Military service

I think property ownership alone is a bit too excessive, but if you're willing to fight and die for our country, you most certainly deserve the right to pick your commander in chief.
    I also believe military service should be an immediate path to citizenship with a long enough commitment.

Herr Vogel

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2018
    Rossburg
    Seconded. Only real estate? How much? Because I've got land I'll parcel into 1x1" square lots for the right money.
    In Rhodesia it was an annual income greater than (some arbitrary amount), or owning real estate property worth more than (some other arbitrary amount). Both of those numbers got lower the more education you had.

Edit: As long as we're on the topic, might we debate the merits of the Heinlein-ian ideal mandating a certain number of years in a public service (military, police, DoD bureaucrats, whatever) as a prerequisite for suffrage? Of course that has its own problems, either the government is going to spawn a whole bunch of make-work positions to secure votes OR the process will create a martial ruling class. Or both. Or something else entirely.

Last edited:

Spear Dane

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 4, 2015
    Kokomo area
    This should not be a serious question. Every citizen of proper age, of sound mind and with no restriction to their natural rights, should absolutely be eligible to vote.

Why? Do you have the first idea how utterly moronic the average modern voter is now? The term 'low information' as applied to the electorate is a real thing. Voters should be 'certified'...literally there should be a test requiring a person to prove they have at least a clue about the current issues. At any given time most people couldn't tell you who the VP is or even their state governor. Why the hell should such people be allowed to wield political FORCE?

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Way to step up INGO and give proof that Conservative gun owners are as backwards as Liberals claim. The mere fact that this question was asked without joking is actually quite sad.
    It does no such thing. Well. Maybe it does if you’re looking for confirmation of what you want to believe about people those people. But that’s on you if that’s the case. (Rhetorical “you” of course.) It’s just a philosophical question. The thread title literally says that. It’s not to seriously discuss changing policy. Just to get at why some people think that and to see what rationale is used.

I’d really like to hear from women who think that. As I said, 88GT mentioned that at least once and I was really astonished by that. I’m really curious what those people think. And I’m not going to impugn people’s character or infer immoral motives just because they have opinions different from mine. I haven’t heard any such people say they wanted to change the constitution. TT even said that much.

I have to ask. Why post this? Why be sad? It’s just discussing ideas in a sandbox. I think you may be taking it too seriously.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    So you’re thinking the whole topic is describing actual plans and not just spitallin’ some off the wall thoughts? Interesting.
    I think some personalities like to stay in the concrete world. Nothing wrong with that. But don’t think ill of people who are comfortable veering off away from the concrete world into the realm of ideas.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Any adult, or any citizen?
    Voting should be limited to citizens of a nation. So the test should be limited to citizens. And I agree with limiting the age. I’m not sure that the age limit should be the same for everyone. But it’s more practical that it is.

Top Bottom