• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • eric001

Vaguely well-known member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 3, 2011
    Indianapolis
    My Tacoma still gets ~18-20mpg on average, though it could be said that I have a *tad bit* of leadfootitis... Kind of like the Hindenburg had a *tad bit* of flammability issues. I'm sure for any "normal" driver, it'd be much much better mileage.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I had a Toyota Camry for a company car and now I have a Rav4. Due to my lead foot, my lifetime average over 90,000 miles on the Camry was 28 MPG. So far with only 5000 miles on the Rav4 I'm at 17.5.

To get optimum mpg out of a 4 cylinder, you can't be wringing every drop of power it has and even driving expressways at 75-80 mph hurts mileage. It's just working that engine too hard.

If I puttered around town and cruised the freeways at 60 mph, I bet my Camry would have been well into the mid 30's, maybe higher. Freeway mpg should have been 40.

But I really don't care. I have always been one that wanted to get up speed quickly. I may not always put the pedal to the metal, but I push it pretty hard.:)

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    Have owned a 2017 Tacoma for 3 years now and still thrilled with it. Primarily a city truck but performs like a truck when I need it too. All the bells and whistles inside the cab just like a car and comfortable to drive on the highway. My 5’0” wife can even drive it. I don’t drive for mpg’s so probably get 1.0 - 1.5 mpg less than sticker. Can get close to highway mpg if I baby the throttle and obey the speed limit.

Just drove 2,000 miles to Florida and back and the drive was easy. Handles great in winter although I use snow tires and add sand bags in the bed.

Been screwed by crappy products from Ford, GM, and Chrysler and will never let the big three steal my money again. We have owned Honda’s a couple of decades now and this Toyota seems on par with the Honda’s. My wife’s parents are still driving her 1997 CRV.

Smaller bed size so think about what you may need to haul. Whatever you plan to haul regularly make sure it fits well for you weight and size wise. I regularly haul bicycles with ease. With that said I have hauled:

A canoe.
    Sheets of plywood and lumber for office windows during this spring’s riot season.
    A mid size UHaul trailer from Florida.
    Mulch and gardening stuff for my wife.
    Miscellaneous other crap.

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    You know there are lots of people around here who could take you to task for calling your Pickup a Truck too. My dad used to point out how citified I'd become when I called my Ford a Truck. He'd take me out to the shed and point out the grain hauler and say, that is a small truck, the Semi and trailer over there is a bigger truck. We could say that if you aren't driving a box truck with a 20' bed, then it isn't a real truck.

Then if you look overseas, you will find many "real trucks" in use delivering freight every day that are much smaller than your ideal, but yours couldn't even fit down the street.

Yeah, talking smack to close friends is cute, but coming into a thread with this type of attitude puts people off. I don't care that you have almost 10K posts vs my hundreds, it still puts people off.

--Rick

Point is, why buy something that might not do all you need it to every time you need it to? And then have to rent or buy a trailer in order to get the job done. Mine is only a 1/2 ton and my last one had a single cab and a short bed. 1st and LAST short bed I will ever own. There was no significant difference in fuel mileage from one to the other. I did own a smaller new toyota back in 1980 that put me off toyota's ever since. Put 2 new center differentials in it b4 I sold it 2 years later. And I still want a 78 Land Cruiser. Figure that out. Wanted one since I graduated from high school.:n00b:

And as for real trucks, I'm over 2.5 million safe miles in a semi. Aiming for 4 mil b4 I retire.

My apologies if you were put off. My post, my opinion. You don't HAVE to like it, but you don't have to take it so seriously either.;)

maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana
    I didn't really see a budget, or age, or whatever requirement, so...

What you're actually asking for here is exactly a '98-'03(?) Chevy S10 with the 2.2, 2wd, and a stick. My standard cab would get 30mpg with the AC on. Didn't matter if it was city or highway, it pretty much got 30mpg. My extended cab gets like 24-25. I have no idea why a small amount of extra weight and length hurts the economy so much on those trucks, but it did on mine. The extended cab is noticeably slower too.

So, exactly what you've asked for is a 20 year old Chevy S10. Find the cleanest, lowest miles, truck you can find in the south, fly there with your 3500 or fewer dollars, and drive it home. Dead easy to work on too. I suggest '98-'00 if you get your pick of exact years. '01+ has some extra weirdo emissions garbage that you don't need, but it's not that bad either.

...and don't let anyone tell you those aren't trucks. I've worked S10s in ways that were beyond legitimately abusive and they just kept taking it and taking it. I've considered moving on to a Colorado, but every time I look they still want more for them than I'd like to pay and they don't seem to get the same mileage.

I'm sure the other suggestions here are good too, but that's my vote. I'm also cheap, so I wouldn't pop the cash for any truck mentioned here so far, but that's just me.

STAGE 2

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 26, 2019
    Fishers
    Tacoma, but stick with 2015 and older. Newer engines are gutless and have problems and the transmissions are equally as poor.

bobzilla

Mod in training (in my own mind)
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    I didn't really see a budget, or age, or whatever requirement, so...

What you're actually asking for here is exactly a '98-'03(?) Chevy S10 with the 2.2, 2wd, and a stick. My standard cab would get 30mpg with the AC on. Didn't matter if it was city or highway, it pretty much got 30mpg. My extended cab gets like 24-25. I have no idea why a small amount of extra weight and length hurts the economy so much on those trucks, but it did on mine. The extended cab is noticeably slower too.

So, exactly what you've asked for is a 20 year old Chevy S10. Find the cleanest, lowest miles, truck you can find in the south, fly there with your 3500 or fewer dollars, and drive it home. Dead easy to work on too. I suggest '98-'00 if you get your pick of exact years. '01+ has some extra weirdo emissions garbage that you don't need, but it's not that bad either.

...and don't let anyone tell you those aren't trucks. I've worked S10s in ways that were beyond legitimately abusive and they just kept taking it and taking it. I've considered moving on to a Colorado, but every time I look they still want more for them than I'd like to pay and they don't seem to get the same mileage.

I'm sure the other suggestions here are good too, but that's my vote. I'm also cheap, so I wouldn't pop the cash for any truck mentioned here so far, but that's just me.
    My 00 Sonoma 2.2 spd could barely get 27 pure highway. It was gutless, slow, inefficient and cramped as hell for a big guy. Would not recommend.

maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana
    My 00 Sonoma 2.2 spd could barely get 27 pure highway. It was gutless, slow, inefficient and cramped as hell for a big guy. Would not recommend.

I'm 6'4" and drove standard cab S10s for 7 years (an '89 and a '98) and got by alright. Both trucks had the '98+ solid bench seat in them which I find is more roomy than the other options. However, there's a reason my '01 is an extended cab. It is a radically more comfortable truck for a bigger guy, no question about it. In fact, it's probably the most comfortable vehicle I own.

Can't argue with gutless and slow. It's 120hp(?) vehicle with brick aero. But, I couldn't complain about the economy on mine. I wasn't trying to run it at 80 mph though. Cruise set at 70 most days as back when I had them the limit was still 65. Most of my highway driving was up 27 between Richmond and FTW so it was more like 60-65. I did regear my '89 from 4.10s to 3.08s though, which made it insanely gutless, but it would run 80mph at 30mpg all day... unless there was a hill. :laugh: I made a lot of money running that truck on company missions, which is why I regeared it to begin with.

My extended cab frequently pulled an 1100lb trailer + an 800lb tractor (so pretty much the maximum tow rating) "OK" for what I needed it to do. My comfortable top speed doing that was about 60 and I was out of brakes before anything else. I did decide that trailer was too heavy for the truck and moved it on though. I'd say about 1000lb tow or cargo rating is about the true comfort zone for one.

So, as far as what the OP is asking for, I'm still seeing it as ticking pretty much all of the boxes. Small truck, good economy, can punch above what it has any right to (pulling 2000lbs with a truck that size is impressive, IMO), and at least for me they've been economical to operate both in maintenance and fuel. My S10s have done 95% of everything I've ever needed a truck to do and for the 5% that they can't it just wasn't worth the penalty of doing something else, to me.

Anyhow... Very few people with any sanity at all are going to go seek out a 20 year old vehicle to daily drive no matter what anyone says, so this is all likely moot. It's just another data point to consider depending on where the budget stops.

J Galt

Expert
    Rating - 93.3%
    14   1   0
    Mar 21, 2020
    Indianapolis
    While I appreciate the specs and suggestion for a '98-'00, S10, I tend to agree with maxwelhse. There is no way I can rationally look for then purchase a 20+ year old truck; even if my sanity is questioned sometimes. :):

maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana
    While I appreciate the specs and suggestion for a '98-'00, S10, I tend to agree with maxwelhse. There is no way I can rationally look for then purchase a 20+ year old truck; even if my sanity is questioned sometimes.

A wise decision, even though I had one foot on the throttle and one on the brakes on that one. :laugh:

It took me 3 years to find my current '01 S10 (I wanted weird options), that was 10 years ago, and it was crazy to most people then... and I paid too much for it.

I don't have any experience with Colorados, but the few I've been in are nice and surprisingly roomy and I know there is a 4 cylinder stick option. If it's basically a 90% S10 with maybe more power and similar economy, and prices are reasonable, I'd look at those too.

Way back when I was still in that market, all of the import trucks were just too expensive. Not sure if it's the same way today or not.

J Galt

Expert
    Rating - 93.3%
    14   1   0
    Mar 21, 2020
    Indianapolis
    Does anyone have a suggestion on where to buy? I'm going to check the usual places online - Craig's list, Carvana, Marketplace, Ebay, etc. - locally I don't have any idea on where to start.

Mark-DuCo

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2012
    Ferdinand
    Does anyone have a suggestion on where to buy? I'm going to check the usual places online - Craig's list, Carvana, Marketplace, Ebay, etc. - locally I don't have any idea on where to start.

My last 2 vehicles were found on cars.com. I personally prefer cars, and have a 95 gmc k1500 for truck purposes like pulling my popup and hauling wood. I just couldn't justify the terrible mileage, rougher ride, insanely higher used price, higher insurance for something that i only use as a truck a few times a year. So i will always have a car as my daily driver, and keep my old GMC for truck purposes when I need it.

maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana

I only buy my stuff from private sellers. I'll take an amateur scumbag over a trained, seasoned, professional liar any day of the week.

Marketplace, Craigslist, etc. I've even bought one on eBay before... That one was a parts car so the risk we pretty low. Something as new as you're after, I might even be tempted to try the auctions on the "public" days. I think the one in Fort Wayne does public auctions on Thursdays. I've know a few guys who bought stuff there and being late model there's only so much that can go wrong, generally.

Also, why not try the classifieds here? INGO has farther reaching fingers than I would have even imagined and I'd trust a member (even a used car salesman member :laugh:) about 100x more than just a random salesman.

J Galt

Expert
    Rating - 93.3%
    14   1   0
    Mar 21, 2020
    Indianapolis
    I only buy my stuff from private sellers. I'll take an amateur scumbag over a trained, seasoned, professional liar any day of the week.

Marketplace, Craigslist, etc. I've even bought one on eBay before... That one was a parts car so the risk we pretty low. Something as new as you're after, I might even be tempted to try the auctions on the "public" days. I think the one in Fort Wayne does public auctions on Thursdays. I've know a few guys who bought stuff there and being late model there's only so much that can go wrong, generally.

Also, why not try the classifieds here? INGO has farther reaching fingers than I would have even imagined and I'd trust a member (even a used car salesman member :laugh:) about 100x more than just a random salesman.

Good call! Thanks!

Waldojr

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 22, 2020
    West

Last year when I bought my Flex, I thought the salesman was going to take my wallet and run the card himself. It was a terrible week, Can you fill out a survey for me. NO!

maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana
    Last year when I bought my Flex, I thought the salesman was going to take my wallet and run the card himself. It was a terrible week, Can you fill out a survey for me. NO!

I've bought exactly one car from a dealer and that was my experience as well. Never did it again and don't plan to unless it's new. If it's new, I can call any dealer in the country and buy it from whoever I want. I wouldn't buy a Chevy in Fort Wayne if you paid for it...

(well... maybe if you're buying :laugh:)

Nathanaf8388

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2020
    Montezuma
    I bought a used 2003 ram 1500 (not mid sized) high mileage 4 door with full-size bed and hard bed cover, air conditioning, v8, 2 wheel drive, and remote start. Best 800$ I’ve ever spent on a truck.

But, Tacoma is a solid choice and I think the older ridgelines are nice.
    Go with the v6 unless most of it will be highway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

eric001

Vaguely well-known member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 3, 2011
    Indianapolis
    I'd still recommend O'Brien Toyota. Good family owns it, and really good folks in the service department. I've already planned on going back when the wife's car is due for replacement.

J Galt

Expert
    Rating - 93.3%
    14   1   0
    Mar 21, 2020
    Indianapolis
    I've bought exactly one car from a dealer and that was my experience as well. Never did it again and don't plan to unless it's new. If it's new, I can call any dealer in the country and buy it from whoever I want. I wouldn't buy a Chevy in Fort Wayne if you paid for it...

(well... maybe if you're buying :laugh:)

I can't say how much I dislike dealers.

A Mazda dealer tell me that "rust doesn't hurt metal." :poop::poop::poop::poop::poop:

A Chevy dealer tell me that the reason one wheel was making a loud "klunk" when going over speed bumps at low speed was because all of the lug nuts on all 4 wheels were incorrect. I was the original owner and had over 100,000 miles on the vehicle before it started making that noise. He was either so incompetent he believed that, or so crooked he had no problem trying to pass off a bad lie. :poop::poop::poop::poop::poop:

I feel like I need a shower every time I talk to a car salesman.

Top Bottom