• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • J Galt

Expert
    Rating - 93.3%
    14   1   0
    Mar 21, 2020
    Indianapolis
    Base price they're more expensive, yes. But optioned out they're often cheaper. I got a 2020 Tundra from O'Brien Toyota (good honest dealer imo) for $39k and some change after discounts. Sticker was $42k. A similarly optioned Chevy and GMC I was looking at was in the low 50s. And if you go all out, the top tier Tundra is around 55 while you're close to 70 for a Denali or High Country. Not sure about the mopar. To the OP, I went with the Tundra over the Taco for the extra space. Price on the same trim level is like 5k more than the Taco and 5 or so fewer mpgs. Downside is the full size is harder to fit in a tight parking space and it drives like a truck where as the taco drives more like an SUV

Good info! Thanks!

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Base price they're more expensive, yes. But optioned out they're often cheaper. I got a 2020 Tundra from O'Brien Toyota (good honest dealer imo) for $39k and some change after discounts. Sticker was $42k. A similarly optioned Chevy and GMC I was looking at was in the low 50s. And if you go all out, the top tier Tundra is around 55 while you're close to 70 for a Denali or High Country. Not sure about the mopar. To the OP, I went with the Tundra over the Taco for the extra space. Price on the same trim level is like 5k more than the Taco and 5 or so fewer mpgs. Downside is the full size is harder to fit in a tight parking space and it drives like a truck where as the taco drives more like an SUV

Good information.

But I only buy used, 1 to 3 years. My $10k estimate of the premium is what I have seen under these circumstances.

eric001

Vaguely well-known member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 3, 2011
    Indianapolis
    Good information.

But I only buy used, 1 to 3 years. My $10k estimate of the premium is what I have seen under these circumstances.

And if you look at used Taco's, you're paying darned near new $$ for them more often than not. That's one of the reasons I just went ahead and got a new one. Tacomas in particular seem to hold value more than any of the other smaller trucks. The bigger one was because I really wanted a manual transmission, and those are about as rare as it gets. I had to wait almost 4 months for the factory to build one to my specs. Still, absolutely worth it.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    And if you look at used Taco's, you're paying darned near new $$ for them more often than not. That's one of the reasons I just went ahead and got a new one. Tacomas in particular seem to hold value more than any of the other smaller trucks. The bigger one was because I really wanted a manual transmission, and those are about as rare as it gets. I had to wait almost 4 months for the factory to build one to my specs. Still, absolutely worth it.

Some vehicles hold their value so well, you may as well buy new and get exactly what you want, be one model year newer and get that new car smell!:)

Jeep Wranglers often fall into that category and if you want a stock, factory one used, good luck.

J Galt

Expert
    Rating - 93.3%
    14   1   0
    Mar 21, 2020
    Indianapolis
    Thanks for the info and opinions. :cheers:

I like the Tacomas but not at the current prices. Not even for 10 year old trucks with over 100,000 miles. Especially not when it will be a work truck and likely get banged up.

FWIW I did look into the frame rust issue and if you own, or are thinking about buying, a Tacoma, a local Toyota dealer I called said that it is possibly under warranty depending on VIN and miles. Any dealer can check, or there may be something on the Toyota web page.

I decided on a used Frontier for about $6,000 less than the Toyota. Not as nice, but also not a daily driver.
    I guess I can't sit at the cool kids' table. I'll console myself by using that $6,000 saved and buy gun related things. :rockwoot:

jsx1043

Master
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Apr 9, 2008
    Napghanistan
    I picked up a 2015 Nissan Frontier SV a couple years ago for just over 15k. I average 18 MPG. It fits me great at 5‘ 10.5”. It’s been a very solid truck with great tow capacity and strength in the body for pulling and mild off-roading. So far my only maintenance has been brake pads and rotors, oil changes and wipers. It’s been rock steady with just the right amount of bells and whistles but not enough to cause systemic or possibly expensive problems down the road. (The most high-tech thing on it is Bluetooth.)

My only two complaints about the Frontier is the gas mileage, as I thought I would get better out of a V6 (my wife’s old GMC Acadia used to get at least 20 MPG) and the turning radius. The frontier steers a little bit like a schooner or deuce and a half, but nothing world ending. It’s only noticeable to me because I drive a new Durango for work and my wife’s Kia Sorento on occasion.

Frontiers can be had for a pretty good price and are usually a bit cheaper than Tacomas. Frontier owners call them “a poor man’s Tacoma.”

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Any truck table that allows Toyotas will allow Nissans! Enjoy it and don't look back and second guess yourself. You saved some serious coin.

I can't sit at any truck table since mine died.:(

J Galt

Expert
    Rating - 93.3%
    14   1   0
    Mar 21, 2020
    Indianapolis
    Nah, no second guessing on my part. I'm solid with my decision. :D

It was based on an honest breakdown of what the mission (use)will be,and what products are available at what price.The mission drives the gear.
    I appreciate the thought though!

OK, so random question. Where can I take this for some light off-roading? Around Indy? Again, this will be my first truck.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Nah, no second guessing on my part. I'm solid with my decision. :D

It was based on an honest breakdown of what the mission (use)will be,and what products are available at what price.The mission drives the gear.
    I appreciate the thought though!

OK, so random question. Where can I take this for some light off-roading? Around Indy? Again, this will be my first truck.

Badlands in Attica is the only place I know of. And I heard of a place called Redbud, I think. Not sure if those are as close as you would like, but look them up.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    Beware of used F150s. They have frame rust issues but unlike Toyota, Ford does not stand behind their products. My new looking 2007 F150 was sold at a massive loss last fall when the inner frame rust issue happened. I had been diligent in spraying the underside with LPS and Waxoil and the frame looked good from the outside. The inner frame rails have a bad heat treat, IMHO, that causes them to corrode from the inside out, so it all looks normal until cross braces and suspension mounts pull free of the frame.

I think this impacts mainly 2006 to 2008 F150s but it could be that the newer ones have just not corroded through yet. There’s a reason that Ford offers complete new frames for under $2K. They won’t warrant the replacement or buy back bad vehicles like Toyota did. They won’t even acknowledge the issue.

As much as I loved my F150, I’ll never buy another Ford newer than 1990’s era vehicles. It’s a Tacoma in the driveway now

J Galt

Expert
    Rating - 93.3%
    14   1   0
    Mar 21, 2020
    Indianapolis
    So I went to get the Frontier. I had my spare key and title in hand. Also cleaned out my (soon-to-be) old car and brought an empty box for miscellaneous stuff still in it.

The truck has some extensive frame rust - it was flaking off.

There's always a catch.

I'm back on the search again.

[FONT=&quot]
    kL4dnbN.jpg
    [/FONT]

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    So I went to get the Frontier. I had my spare key and title in hand. Also cleaned out my (soon-to-be) old car and brought an empty box for miscellaneous stuff still in it.

The truck has some extensive frame rust - it was flaking off.

There's always a catch.

I'm back on the search again.

[FONT=&amp]
    kL4dnbN.jpg
    [/FONT]
    I'm no expert, but if that's what you consider "extensive", my truck (97 Dodge Ram) would scare the hell out of you. :): Maybe it should scare the hell outta me too.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I'm no expert, but if that's what you consider "extensive", my truck (97 Dodge Ram) would scare the hell out of you. :): Maybe it should scare the hell outta me too.

Yeah, the circled part is exhaust. They get pretty nasty looking but can still be intact. Plus, it's easy enough to replace.

I don't like rust anywhere on a vehicle but you will get it unless you do what I did for years. Get under it once a year, clean it and spray paint on it. I gave up on that. Too old and too busy.

I can't tell for sure by the pictures, but that looks like typical rust on an older vehicle. What year is it and how many miles? The frame is rusty on the welds. I have seen that a lot.

If it was mine, I'd clean it off with a wire wheel and shoot it with some pro grade chassis black.

But I also learned a long time ago: if you have doubts about purchasing a certain vehicle, walk. Those doubts have a bad habit of haunting you the entire time you own it. There are plenty of vehicles out there. They build 17 million a year, after all.

J Galt

Expert
    Rating - 93.3%
    14   1   0
    Mar 21, 2020
    Indianapolis
    I knew better than to post a picture. People do what they do with pictures on the news, make huge inferences. :facepalm: No offense.
    This is just one picture. The rust is flaking off on places and involve a lot of the bolts. To me, this means that any possible repair will involve dealing with bolts that are rusted. :alcoholic:

The camera doesn't lie; it also doesn't tell the whole story.

I still appreciate the suggestions. The next new vehicle I buy I plan on putting silicone over the bolt heads.

I had my mechanic bolt a small strong box to the back floor of my old car. They put silicone on the exposed part of the bolt. When they took it off 10 years later, it looked almost new.

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    But I also learned a long time ago: if you have doubts about purchasing a certain vehicle, walk. Those doubts have a bad habit of haunting you the entire time you own it. There are plenty of vehicles out there. They build 17 million a year, after all.

^^^this^^^

You don’t want to spend the next X years second guessing yourself.

Top Bottom