• ...and so much more!
  • maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana
    I can't say how much I dislike dealers.

A Mazda dealer tell me that "rust doesn't hurt metal." :poop::poop::poop::poop::poop:

A Chevy dealer tell me that the reason one wheel was making a loud "klunk" when going over speed bumps at low speed was because all of the lug nuts on all 4 wheels were incorrect. I was the original owner and had over 100,000 miles on the vehicle before it started making that noise. He was either so incompetent he believed that, or so crooked he had no problem trying to pass off a bad lie. :poop::poop::poop::poop::poop:

I feel like I need a shower every time I talk to a car salesman.

To paint with a broader brush so I'm not just picking on car dealers, I just don't like salesman in general. Generally speaking if I'm in the market for something that costs more than $500 I've done hours or even days of research before I ever show up to buy it... and that's what I'm there to do: buy.

The salesman is just a hindrance to my desired process of exchanging money for goods at that point. This x1000 if it's in a professional setting where I have to obtain quotes. I get 6 quotes and there's 1 winner, but guess what 5 guys are going to annoy me for the rest of my life now? Guess who I can't tell to simply FO and stop bothering me because I have to remain professional?

I've had those guys hound me for years after requesting a single quote. I'd go out of my way to not quote future business with them just because they bug me.

So...Humbug, blah, blah... :oldwise:

J Galt

Expert
    Rating - 93.3%
    14   1   0
    Mar 21, 2020
    Indianapolis
    To paint with a broader brush so I'm not just picking on car dealers, I just don't like salesman in general. Generally speaking if I'm in the market for something that costs more than $500 I've done hours or even days of research before I ever show up to buy it... and that's what I'm there to do: buy.

The salesman is just a hindrance to my desired process of exchanging money for goods at that point. This x1000 if it's in a professional setting where I have to obtain quotes. I get 6 quotes and there's 1 winner, but guess what 5 guys are going to annoy me for the rest of my life now? Guess who I can't tell to simply FO and stop bothering me because I have to remain professional?

I've had those guys hound me for years after requesting a single quote. I'd go out of my way to not quote future business with them just because they bug me.

So...Humbug, blah, blah... :oldwise:

Agree completely.

maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana
    Nothing personal. I do realize that not all salesmen are scum. It's just that, like in a pond, the scum rises to the surface and draws your attention.

Exactly right. I can still name, and recommend, a dozen or so good sales guys I've worked with. The other several hundred? Not so much...

The good news is that we do remember the good guys so that's who we like to work with. Be a good guy and no problems. The best sales guy I ever worked with actually got frustrated with "us" being stupid and basically told us we're on our own if we won't listen to good advice. He was exactly right and he earned being able to say that by having sweat pouring in his eyes and handing me wrenches as we both learned just how stupid my employer at the time was.

That guy tried to hire me away from that job... I should have let him.

therewolf

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 9, 2013
    United States
    Hard to beat the Tacoma on durability. My 13 year old Silverado with a V8 gets about the same mileage, though.

I'd go with Toyota. I'll say this, I've got a Colorado,(much to my regret) they didn't really need to put a hood on this thing, every job you do in the engine compartment involves jacking up one of the front wheels, and removing the fender skirt, to access the engine compartment from the side. Every. single. little. job. SMH...

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    I'd go with Toyota. I'll say this, I've got a Colorado,(much to my regret) they didn't really need to put a hood on this thing, every job you do in the engine compartment involves jacking up one of the front wheels, and removing the fender skirt, to access the engine compartment from the side. Every. single. little. job. SMH...

I get it...but in 10 years with the Silverado...and almost 194,000 miles at this point, I've never done anything under the hood other than regular maintenance. I've replaced both front hubs and done front brake jobs a few times and the rear once and replaced a purge valve, but that's it over that time.

Still gets 21 mpg on the highway.

J Galt

Expert
    Rating - 93.3%
    14   1   0
    Mar 21, 2020
    Indianapolis
    I'll pass on the domestic trucks. It seems that overall their reliability is ........... hit and miss. There's always stories of individual vehicles doing well.

It seems like it's similar to stories of entry level guns, there's always specific examples of one that is doing well. Overall the chances of getting one that is nothing but problems is significantly higher than a brand that is established based on overall reliability.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Like I said, you can't beat a Tacoma for durability.

Trucks that were left in the dryer too long just won't work for me. I'm sure a Tacoma would be a great truck.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Here's the thing: the 80's were the dark age of the automobile. The manufacturers were looking for fuel efficiency and new technologies abounded. Initial quality was poor and mfr. only asked for service part availability for 5-10 years max. Today the minimum we have to provide service parts is 15 years. Some are moving to 20 years.

Fast forward to today: most vehicles are "good". Pretty much anything will run well past 200K with normal, reasonable service. Cars have much more stringent quality requirements than cars of the past.

Couple this with knowledge and some history of technology, and we don't even blink when our vehicles roll over 100K miles.

Sure, I and others will recommend a Toyota and I know from working with them that they produce a well engineered and executed product. But at some point, as is with anything, you hit a point of diminishing returns.

Stay away from particular models that have issues and whether you choose a Toyota or a Silverado, you will get as much life out of it as you want.

Most people in this age get tired of their vehicles before they "wear out".

It almost comes down to which vehicle you like the looks of, the ride quality, the intended use and how it fits your personality. Some people will only have a full size, diesel powered pick up and other's a Honda Ridgeline. Neither is wrong, unless you bought the Honda to work in the oil fields.:)

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Yep.

I have no trouble admitting that a Tundra would work for everything I need it for and probably last to 350k miles or more.

I won't keep it that long and the $10K (or more) premium over a Chevy or Ford just isn't worth it to me.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Yep.

I have no trouble admitting that a Tundra would work for everything I need it for and probably last to 350k miles or more.

I won't keep it that long and the $10K (or more) premium over a Chevy or Ford just isn't worth it to me.

Bingo! You understand my point.

Sorta like how a stock 10/22 will work just fine for the average marksman.:)

thelefthand

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 8, 2008
    Here's the thing: the 80's were the dark age of the automobile. The manufacturers were looking for fuel efficiency and new technologies abounded. Initial quality was poor and mfr. only asked for service part availability for 5-10 years max. Today the minimum we have to provide service parts is 15 years. Some are moving to 20 years.

Fast forward to today: most vehicles are "good". Pretty much anything will run well past 200K with normal, reasonable service. Cars have much more stringent quality requirements than cars of the past.

Couple this with knowledge and some history of technology, and we don't even blink when our vehicles roll over 100K miles.

Sure, I and others will recommend a Toyota and I know from working with them that they produce a well engineered and executed product. But at some point, as is with anything, you hit a point of diminishing returns.

Stay away from particular models that have issues and whether you choose a Toyota or a Silverado, you will get as much life out of it as you want.

Most people in this age get tired of their vehicles before they "wear out".

It almost comes down to which vehicle you like the looks of, the ride quality, the intended use and how it fits your personality. Some people will only have a full size, diesel powered pick up and other's a Honda Ridgeline. Neither is wrong, unless you bought the Honda to work in the oil fields.:)

By law, the mfg used to have to provide service parts for a minimum of 10 years. In the early 2000's congress increased that requirement, but I don't recall by how much. It might have been 20 years. Amazing how so many vehicles now last nearly 20 years when they used to only last 10....

thelefthand

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 8, 2008
    The OP left out some critical information. Budget, how many miles/year driving, how many passengers it needs to hold, how long do you normally keep a vehicle, where do you plan on keeping it, where do you need to be able to park it? I drive an F350 long bed crew cab because it fills all of my needs (4 people + 3 dogs, holds all my camping gear, pulls my travel trailer AND my loaded 10K equipment trailer), but it drinks fuel like a teenager guzzles mountain dew, and its nearly impossible to park it anywhere in downtown Indy (thankfully I live FAR away from there).

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    The OP left out some critical information. Budget, how many miles/year driving, how many passengers it needs to hold, how long do you normally keep a vehicle, where do you plan on keeping it, where do you need to be able to park it? I drive an F350 long bed crew cab because it fills all of my needs (4 people + 3 dogs, holds all my camping gear, pulls my travel trailer AND my loaded 10K equipment trailer), but it drinks fuel like a teenager guzzles mountain dew, and its nearly impossible to park it anywhere in downtown Indy (thankfully I live FAR away from there).

*Tim Allen grunting noises* ;)

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Actually I'm in the market for a cheap Honda drive back and forth to work. At over 25,000 miles a year, I need two different tools for two different jobs.

I hear ya. My old rustbucket '97 Dodge Ram 4x4 is my truck (for boat hauling, mulch hauling and that's about it). Had the transmission rebuilt back in 2015, and since then, I think I've only put around 1500 miles on it. It used to be my daily driver, but now my daily driver is a Hyundai Elantra Touring (little station wagon thingy) bought new in 2011, and now has about 83K on it. Gets about 30 mpg.

UnbeatenPath

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 23, 2013
    Fort Wayne
    Yep.

Base price they're more expensive, yes. But optioned out they're often cheaper. I got a 2020 Tundra from O'Brien Toyota (good honest dealer imo) for $39k and some change after discounts. Sticker was $42k. A similarly optioned Chevy and GMC I was looking at was in the low 50s. And if you go all out, the top tier Tundra is around 55 while you're close to 70 for a Denali or High Country. Not sure about the mopar. To the OP, I went with the Tundra over the Taco for the extra space. Price on the same trim level is like 5k more than the Taco and 5 or so fewer mpgs. Downside is the full size is harder to fit in a tight parking space and it drives like a truck where as the taco drives more like an SUV

Top Bottom