• ...and so much more!
  • Pistol Hold

• Total voters

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Other: I lock down my strong thumb with my weak thumb, like many revolver shooters do. I have tried thumbs forward and thumbs high, but my thumb is in the perfect spot to hit the slide stop on my XD, and it causes malfunctions (slide locks back during recoil). As a result I have one grip for all handguns.

Layering can work for pistols with wierd grip angles like Glocks.

G_Stines

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 2, 2010
    Central Indiana
    Other: I lock down my strong thumb with my weak thumb, like many revolver shooters do. I have tried thumbs forward and thumbs high, but my thumb is in the perfect spot to hit the slide stop on my XD, and it causes malfunctions (slide locks back during recoil). As a result I have one grip for all handguns.

Layering can work for pistols with wierd grip angles like Glocks.

I do that to for the revolvers... I have a friend who layers everything. He doesn't shoot a lot of revolvers, and he is comfortable as such, but he even layers on the 1911, which I marry thumbs on my semi autos.

snowrs

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 4, 2011
    Evansville
    I marry my thumbs on a Semi Auto dominant thumb rides the "safety" I lock my dominant thum under my support thum on a revolver.

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    like this:

69782_480701468527_681323527_6054044_2976383_n.jpg

Garb

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 4, 2009
    Richmond
    I marry them on semi-autos and layer them on revolvers. I had an itchy trigger finger on the keyboard though and voted only marrying the thumbs. :dunno:

Master
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    Hamilton County
    I hold two at once. Both sideways. And I never run out of bullets, just live the movies!

Ok, seriously...depends on size of gun. A bit different on my full size 1911 then my ruger LCP. Never the "cup and saucer" hold though, thats horrible!

sbcman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana
    I hold two at once. Both sideways. And I never run out of bullets, just live the movies!

Ok, seriously...depends on size of gun. A bit different on my full size 1911 then my ruger LCP. Never the "cup and saucer" hold though, thats horrible!

The only time the "cup and saucer" method is prudent is when your taking a rested shot off something like field post. Or, if you go shooting after having tea with the queen of England.

I will say this about the thumbs forward style many semi guys use. Do not translate that to a revolver unless you desire to have said thumb torn in two by the equivalent of a plasma torch. I was in a class in the spring and the instructor taught the class to shoot revolvers that way. I couldn't believe it and privately spoke to him about it.

Jtgarner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Oct 5, 2010
    Bloomington
    I shot a buddy's 44 Mag with thumbs layered (I call it thumbs forward). and it hurt my thumb and blew a hole in the gloves I was wearing. (I feel pretty lucky)
    I now shoot revolvers thumbs overlaped, and all autos (including my P11) with thumbs layerd. With a Magpul approved 100% grip with both hands the little p11 doesnt move when fired.

Jay

Gotta watch us old guys.....cause if you don't....
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2008
    Near Marion, IN
    Layered, for both revolver and pistol. I'd question the proper fit of a revolver that allowed thumb/fingers to be in front of the cylinder.

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    Thumbs married as long as the frame size and grip allows for it. I think sometimes my support thumb does creep up a bit towards the muzzle, but in my mind the thumbs stacked on top of each other seems more correct.

Or as my friend did with his first pistol-shooting experience, place your off-hand thumb on the BACK of the slide.... let's see how that works out for you. Or maybe rest it on those "cool grooves" that are near the back of the slide, those look comfy. (BTW this part is supposed to be sarcastic)

shortyforty

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 1, 2011
    middlebury
    i use 1 hand on each gun and 2 gun it yosemite sam style,sorry i mean depends on the pistol my keltec 380 i almost cup under my support hand on most others i use a layered grip

Hornett

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    Bedford, Indiana
    I voted layered since I mostly shoot autos.
    I started shooting revolvers so I shot married all the time.
    I was amazed how much quicker I could get second shots when I changed to layered on the autos..

But for revolvers, I shoot with the thumbs married and bent.
    That powder stings a little of you get that forward thumb too far out there. ;)

Top Bottom