69782_480701468527_681323527_6054044_2976383_n.jpg

This^^^^ Hickman has it right!!

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    In a lot of Allen County Practical Defense League matches, the non-firing hand is not available because it is being used for a myriad of other simulated uses. Moving children or spousesbehind you or fighting off an attacker are just a couple of uses for the non-firing hand.

It is what we do, try to train all kinds of scenarios.

Hopefully practical stuff.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    I actually cross my thumbs. Bad form I know but hard to overcome the habit. Since I basically grew up shooting revolvers and .22s I think the grip just sort of worked for me. I admit that I need to work on my grip to improve my speed with an auto.

goColt

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 3, 2008
    Boone County
    I actually cross my thumbs. Bad form I know but hard to overcome the habit. Since I basically grew up shooting revolvers and .22s I think the grip just sort of worked for me. I admit that I need to work on my grip to improve my speed with an auto.

Why is this bad form? Like Que and some others have posted, I too have my support hand thumb over and holding down my strong hand thumb not just for revolvers but also autos. This is primarily to keep either thumb from being sliced open by the slide. I also find that this gives very good control over the pistol since it allows me to have my strong hand thumb wrapped around the pistol better than other holds I've tried. This helps me with recoil control and probably would be the best for retention in any altercation.

Ahgo

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 1, 2009
    New Haven, Indiana
    I do slow shooting on a pistol league. Since I use a revolver, I use the cup and saucer method. The support hand cups the bottom of the grip. Since I am use to this, I usually shoot my semi-autos the same way.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    I cross my thumbs, but until very recently, I discovered that I instinctively placed my dominant thumb over my support thumb. I don't know when this started or if I just never considered it to be an issue. I noticed it because I found that my grip would slip after each discharge and I had to either grip tighter or re-grip. After alternating the positions of my thumbs, I noticed that I didn't have to hold with as much pressure; I didn't have to re-grip; and my round placement held truer.

Why is this bad form? Like Que and some others have posted, I too have my support hand thumb over and holding down my strong hand thumb not just for revolvers but also autos. This is primarily to keep either thumb from being sliced open by the slide. I also find that this gives very good control over the pistol since it allows me to have my strong hand thumb wrapped around the pistol better than other holds I've tried. This helps me with recoil control and probably would be the best for retention in any altercation.

Well, when I'm wrong, I'm wrong. After going through Force-on-Force training yesterday, I see why the grip used by Hickman and others is much better in altercations. It covers more of the gun, keeping the bag guy from being able to grip nothing buy the front of the barrel and my hands. If also gives me leverage to make stronger and more broad movements to free myself and gun from a bad guy.

Now, I will definitely have to try this out and see how this feels when I shoot; however, as I learned, it matters not how many bullets I can put in a hole when I'm calm, cool, and collected. What matters is being able to properly engage a moving offender at very close distances. It was also reiterated that many shooting champions use this grip, as well, so I will definitely give it a try.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour

Well, when I'm wrong, I'm wrong. After going through Force-on-Force training yesterday, I see why the grip used by Hickman and others is much better in altercations. It covers more of the gun, keeping the bag guy from being able to grip nothing buy the front of the barrel and my hands. If also gives me leverage to make stronger and more broad movements to free myself and gun from a bad guy.

Now, I will definitely have to try this out and see how this feels when I shoot; however, as I learned, it matters not how many bullets I can put in a hole when I'm calm, cool, and collected. What matters is being able to properly engage a moving offender at very close distances. It was also reiterated that many shooting champions use this grip, as well, so I will definitely give it a try.

I agree that crossing the thumbs keeps them out of the way so they don't get hit by the slide. I always assumed that placing the thumbs on side by side allowed for contact with the gun and a more natural point of aim. I could be wrong.

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    After reading through this thread, I went & got my Beretta and compared my natural grip and the pics.

I am a novice pistol shooter, I've never competed nor taken any sort of formal training. That being said, I find that my natural grip is cross-thumb with weak thumb pinching down strong. It seems that is the case because I have big hands (yes, thank you lord). I cannot comfortably replicate the other holds shown, it just doesn't feel natural.

My :twocents:.

goColt

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 3, 2008
    Boone County

Interesting. Can you elaborate more on this? I am not saying it's wrong but I don't understand how having your thumbs "up in the air" can give you better control or better retention in an altercation. I mean, the opposable thumb is what makes possible the use of tools.

Taylorz71

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 21, 2011
    Central IN
    I layer (changed to this style this winter and really improved my groups). The revolvers feel real different now, but hold dominant thumb down with non (left in my case) so that it doesn't get burned from the cylinder.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    I agree that crossing the thumbs keeps them out of the way so they don't get hit by the slide. I always assumed that placing the thumbs on side by side allowed for [more] contact with the gun and a more natural point of aim. I could be wrong.

thumbs forward by far gets you more contact with the gun, and the grip is more neutral (equal pressure on all sides) which allows for better recoil control.

I cannot comfortably replicate the other holds shown, it just doesn't feel natural.

No, it doesn't because you are used to something else. Just because a method feels "natural" doesn't make it ideal. Training and repititions will make the new way feel natural in short order.

Interesting. Can you elaborate more on this? I am not saying it's wrong but I don't understand how having your thumbs "up in the air" can give you better control or better retention in an altercation. I mean, the opposable thumb is what makes possible the use of tools.

your thumb is on the side of the gun either way, not wrapped around it. There is no difference from that standpoint. Having your thumbs forward puts considerably more of the weak hand in contact with the gun, the entire "heel" of your hand actually. This is why it is better for recoil control as well. Also, the weak hand grip is considerably higher with this method, and the higher you can grip, the more you effectively lower the bore, which also helps recoil control.

Grip the gun as you would w/ thumbs crossed, and then remove the strong hand and see how much leverage you have on the gun with the weak hand alone. Now do the same w/ the thumbs forward.

-rvb

twostepadin

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 26, 2011
    Rockville Indiana
    i certainly wont tell anyone "this is the be all end all. do it or ill rage cannon on you." but this is what works for me. :twocents:

picture.php
    i refer to this as hand finds hand/thumb over thumb. because coming from the draw the support/weak hand comes from the chest/abdomen. finds the primary hand and locks the thumbs in. for the directly forward drive of the presentation.

picture.php

this is the other side of the same grip, what i do here. is the index finger hooks from under the trigger guard and acts as an anchor for my left hand. because i have fairly meaty palms, but skinny fingers. i use as much as that positive contact as i can. and no it does not make me miss low left.

i voted for my slide action grip, as i shoot slide action probably 75% of the time, compared to wheel gun.

having said that my revolver grip is entirely different, i still hook the support hand finger, but i keep those thumbs away from that cylinder, because ive seen some meat get smoked right off the thumbs of some unlucky large caliber shooters. just my personal pref. this is more of the thumb marrying thing as said above, just hooking them down and locking them to the grip.

picture.php

i dont believe in all that 60/40 junk, in a real world shooting situation under stress. 100/100 just fine when you're going to lose the fine motor skills that are required to be flamboyant anyway. 3 P's present, pause, press.

like i said this is not to step on toes, this is what works for me. it is quick, and simple. and that is kinda the point i think.

best of luck at the range, keep shooting, stay safe.:yesway:

Top Bottom