• Pistol Hold

• Total voters

Jtgarner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Oct 5, 2010
    Bloomington
    Could someone please clarify layered vs. married?
    Thumbs crossed:
    HGgrip_0925F.jpg

3169549768_e41efd48c3.jpg

Teacup
    hollywood-teacup-weaver.jpg

This is the closest to married that I could find (I picture it with the support hand back a little further so that the thumbs are side by side):
    3169554128_2085ddb993.jpg

Layered:
    dsc00350.jpg

3169558406_dab3ee1bd7.jpg

3168730661_19b262bd3f.jpg

G_Stines

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 2, 2010
    Central Indiana
    I personally would consider thumbs crossed married. And in that position they should probably get a room.:D

But yes, thumbs married usually involves the thumbs side by side.

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    My weak hand, (left) is wrapped around my strong hand, (right), on a semi, my right thumb holds down my left thumb, I use my right thumb, to work safety, and slide release.....

Kitty

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 4, 2010
    Whiting
    I mostly shoot revolvers so support thumb is wrapped around. On a semi I'd loose a chunk of my thumb but with the revolver it helps support my wrist.

jdhaines

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    Toledo, OH
    Sometimes like this
    like this:

69782_480701468527_681323527_6054044_2976383_n.jpg

and sometimes like this with my support index finger in front of the trigger guard, making my support thumb within a half inch or so of the ind of my glock 17. Can't shoot my Glock 26 this way or my thumb covers the end of the barrel:n00b:

limitedchamp10.jpg

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    and sometimes like this with my support index finger in front of the trigger guard, making my support thumb within a half inch or so of the ind of my glock 17. Can't shoot my Glock 26 this way or my thumb covers the end of the barrel:n00b:

For what it's worth, even though Jerry Barnhart (the guy in your picture) shoots with his finger on the trigger guard, he teaches people not to do that. He teaches the grip you see in RVB's photos.

jdhaines

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    Toledo, OH
    For what it's worth, even though Jerry Barnhart (the guy in your picture) shoots with his finger on the trigger guard, he teaches people not to do that. He teaches the grip you see in RVB's photos.

I read that while I was searching for a picture of that style. He claims it's inferior. Interesting that even though he knows it, it still works better for him. Guess that should be a lesson to everyone to try things and see what works best for you rather than doing something that everyone else does.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    I read that while I was searching for a picture of that style. He claims it's inferior. Interesting that even though he knows it, it still works better for him. Guess that should be a lesson to everyone to try things and see what works best for you rather than doing something that everyone else does.

Not wanting to put word's into The Burner's (aka Jerry Barnhart's) mouth, but I would guess he wouldn't say it's 'better' for him, but that he has the other method so engrained through thousands/millions of repititions that the disruption required to change isn't worth it...

btw: I use Jerry's "Burner" grips on my Beretta for uspsa. they are frikin' awesome! :)

-rvb

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana

It's mostly because he's programmed himself to do it that way and it's tough to defeat that. He's also programmed himself to overcome the marksmanship problems that can be introduced when you put a finger on the trigger guard. It makes an excellent lever for changing the alignment of the gun when you don't want it to change. Also, nearly everyone who does it, you will see that their finger loses contact on each shot, which makes it worse. Jerry's finger is locked on there and it does not exert any under pressure in either direction.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    I cross my thumbs, but until very recently, I discovered that I instinctively placed my dominant thumb over my support thumb. I don't know when this started or if I just never considered it to be an issue. I noticed it because I found that my grip would slip after each discharge and I had to either grip tighter or re-grip. After alternating the positions of my thumbs, I noticed that I didn't have to hold with as much pressure; I didn't have to re-grip; and my round placement held truer.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    My grip is what Rhino told me what it should be. Since he showed me, I've become a lot more accurate. I still need A LOT more work, but I'm WAY better than what I was.

Top Bottom