• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Aaron1776

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Feb 2, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Why is it any different? To me, someone breaking into a home who isn't a "gangsta" can be just as dangerous as someone who is. Maybe a kid from a gang is more likely to use violence, but that doesn't mean the opiate addicted kid from Fishers won't resort to violence to get their fix. I get the whole slight thing, and the substance addicted teen from the burbs may never purposely engage someone in a confrontation, but if a person breaks into another person's home, I don't see why their self-defense death would or should be viewed as any different. This type of attitude is exactly what causes a lot of folks on the fence to start questioning if we should have guns. Many, due to their personal beliefs and biases, have no problem with some inner city poor kid getting shot and killed, but when it ends up being one of their kid's friends, who they will claim was a "good kid", then their attitude starts to change. I've seen this with the case down in Alabama and the one up in Wisconsin, and there are others. Poor, "gangsta" kid get killed in self-defense, no one really says much. "Good kid" from the burbs get killed in self-defense, all of a sudden it is a tragedy and there are calls for something to be done.

I totally agree with you, but you misunderstood what I was trying to say.
    Obviously a meth head is a meth head no matter where he is from, and I really feel no sympathy for him. In fact, I feel less sympathy for the criminal who grew up with positive role models in his life and/or had no real reason to turn to crime other than his own satisfaction.
    But I have personally known kids who just did something stupid one night, spent a night in juvey, and decided never to do it again. Getting whacked on that occassion, while deserved, is sad simply because he might have had one last chance to change his ways.

However, the intruder senario was a very poor choice, as "starter" crimes don't generally include breaking into a man's home at night when people are there. Crime is a sliding scale. No one starts off with armed robbery. They start with petty theft, vandalism, etc.
    I'll edit my comment above.

Last edited:
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 7, 2011
    Jeffersonville
    I totally agree with you, but you misunderstood what I was trying to say.
    Obviously a meth head is a meth head no matter where he is from, and I really feel no sympathy for him. In fact, I feel less sympathy for the criminal who grew up with positive role models in his life and/or had no real reason to turn to crime other than his own satisfaction.
    But I have personally known kids who just did something stupid one night, spent a night in juvey, and decided never to do it again. Getting whacked on that occassion, while deserved, is sad simply because he might have had one last chance to change his ways.

However, the intruder senario was a very poor choice, as "starter" crimes don't generally include breaking into a man's home at night when people are there. Crime is a sliding scale. No one starts off with armed robbery. They start with petty theft, vandalism, etc.
    I'll edit my comment above.

It is sad because the bad decision they made when they tossed aside the rights of another for selfish unethical gain, not because of the defensive actions of the victim.

Sad waste of life? Sure... but people are responsible for their actions, and the potential to change does not make a difference - the decisions we make have consequences. Many "gangsters" have turned their lives around too - does that mean we should mourn every stick up kid that gets shot while putting an innocent life in danger to rob them of their belongings?

Even if this was his first armed robbery - he was attempting to commit an armed robbery. His potential to not choose that course of action in the future does not alter the bad life choice he made. The amount of times someone has made an unethical decision, or the chances of them repeating the mistake in the future, does not alter the seriousness of their crime, or justify a second chance.

Second chances are great, but the world does not owe them to anyone.

Last edited:

Aaron1776

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Feb 2, 2013
    Indianapolis
    It is sad because the bad decision they made when they tossed aside the rights of another for selfish unethical gain, not because of the defensive actions of the victim.

Sad waste of life? Sure... but people are responsible for their actions, and the potential to change does not make a difference - the decisions we make have consequences. Many "gangsters" have turned their lives around too - does that mean we should mourn every stick up kid that gets shot while putting an innocent life in danger to rob them of their belongings?

Second chances are great, but the world does not owe them to anyone.

You'll get no argument from me. In no way did I mean to imply that 2nd chances are owed. In fact I even agreed they got what they deserved. For me, once you cross the line from "delinquint" to "savage", I'm just more relieved to hear that you'll no longer be terrorizing people than sad to hear you wasted your life.

What I get torqued about is when "feel gooders" decide to pass judgement on people whose personalities are simply more justice oriented. If you feel emotionally distraught at the passage of every hardened criminal that's fine, but no one is justified in looking down on another simply because he is happy to hear justice won out against injustice today.
    It was ghuns earlier comments portraying a gang banger as being "some kid" who had "been failed by the system", as if he were a child who would have turned out to be a "nice boy" if only he had been properly educated, that got me issuing an explanation of ghetto culture and the nature of its criminals.

Criminals, no matter who they are or where they are from, choose to be criminals. And surprisingly, where you live and who your parents were has little weight on if you choose a life of criminality. That statement shocks most people because it runs counter to what our culture teaches us to believe, but you can read all about it here:
    http://www.amazon.com/Inside-Criminal-Mind-Revised-Updated/dp/140004619X
    in Dr. Samenow's book.

I used to somewhat buy into the "oh their parents failed them" theory...and certainly bad parenting is devestating to personal morality & ethics. Societal law breaking however is another world completely, and deep down I knew that at some point they had an individual choice to make and thus had no real excuse. I just thought the deck was "stacked against them". Dr. Samenow however obliterates that theory entirely and paints the opposite picture. Certainly exposure to opportunities for crime will increase crime rates and your soceo-economic status may help determine what sorts of crimes you commit, but in the end the individual is choosing crime because he likes it.

Last edited:

traderdan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 20, 2009
    Martinsville
    Police: Pizza delivery driver critically injures teen who tried to rob him | Fox 59 News – fox59.com

a little more info on this site.

as a papa johns delivery driver, i would like to say good for him. the safety videos they make us watch say dont resist, give up the money and cooperate. i have always felt this is a mistake. dont resist, and you might live, might not. but what about the next person that gets robbed? will they get shot because you cooperated?

sad that this person will lose their job over this, but they are alive, and there is one less punk robbing people in this world.

i hope the company sees that a driver should be armed if they wish to be.
    If you keep giving the bad guys an easy payday, then they will keep coming back again and again.

WAIT...Were you not the guy that was so adamant that the rules be followed concerning concealed carry at one of the south side gun shops?? I hope you are not breaking company rules...

richardraw316

Master
    Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    Dec 12, 2011
    The Danville
    WAIT...Were you not the guy that was so adamant that the rules be followed concerning concealed carry at one of the south side gun shops?? I hope you are not breaking company rules...

dont bring another thread issues up here on this thread. this thread is about someone defending themselves.
    the other thread is about your brothers inability to keep his mouth shut.
    in that other thread i said treat as a dont ask dont tell policy. same as i am saying on this thread. if you want to continue this debate do it in pm.

roadrunner681

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2013
    henry county
    im a younger fella and i can tell you right now that most of the friends i had are worthless now, and it wasn't cause they had bad parents, or we lived in the the "ghetto" it was becouse they decided to do something foolish for the hell of it or simple greed for example i knew this fella that held up a gas station ran by a kid we both knew, pointed a gun right at him some one he knew personally. as for the fella that was attacked in the bathroom i understand and have been there it sucks but what can ya do? as for the pizza guy glad your safe, you did what ya had to.:twocents:

Top Bottom