Please, No more pictures of Home Ranges...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mike8170

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 18, 2008
    Hiding from reality
    Cool, range pics! Here is my little 100 yarder, with a 50 yard berm in the middle. It runs N to S, so I can sit in the shade in the summer:rockwoot:

cid_5E41675FEAB04F5BA0E502A7AF9917D1MikeHP.png

I'll get some downrange pics for you tommorrow. Really twist the bayonet:D

gunbunnies

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    NWI
    I too have this problem... and with almost 5 dollar a gallon gas it's getting a lot harder to go out and obtain relief.... I'm thinking a suppressor and a solid backstop.... hhhhmmmmmm might work...

wagyu52

Master
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    South of cob corner
    Range pic, sure here is mine. It,s 25 yards but can be 100 with minimal effort. The bigger targets are AR500 the smaller squares are mild steel. It was made from leftover [free] 6x6 so it is alittle overkill but who cares, they take a lot of abuse from lead splatter,[I will take some pics later] it's also on skids so it can be moved. A barrel can make a surprisingly good target and bullet trap for small calibers. We use to shoot a lot of paper, but the steel is defiantly more fun.
    picture.php

Tydeeh22

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    Indiana
    the county decided to put a running trail right behind my house through the woods.. im almost considering finding where it ends, marking to the wood line, and a fair distance off of it, dropping a triaxle of dirt and starting the build process.

handgun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 1, 2012
    Central part of This state
    there is always your front or back yard. you could run out side point it to the ground pull trigger run inside hide. Pretend nothing happened. (unlawful) I am sure a few people on here have done that inside city limits where ever their city limits are.

I am teasing though, I do not advise such activities.

Tydeeh22

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    Indiana
    it just irritates me that the county would put a running/biking/walking trial literally 20 feet from my land marker when there are over 300 acres back there. hell i deer hunt back there past their markers.. gonna tell me im breaking the law now? since im on MY land and shooting a deer that dies on your property?

handgun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 1, 2012
    it just irritates me that the county would put a running/biking/walking trial literally 20 feet from my land marker when there are over 300 acres back there. hell i deer hunt back there past their markers.. gonna tell me im breaking the law now? since im on MY land and shooting a deer that dies on your property?
    Is the trail on your property? Do you actually have enough land to make a "proper" range? Shoot, i wouldn't want to walk on a trail if i saw a range 5 feet away from it.. Maybe it will deter walkers runners. I would be mad as hell about that personally. Just because i am curious is it the states 300 acres?

Tydeeh22

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    Indiana
    Is the trail on your property? Do you actually have enough land to make a "proper" range? Shoot, i wouldn't want to walk on a trail if i saw a range 5 feet away from it.. Maybe it will deter walkers runners. I would be mad as hell about that personally. Just because i am curious is it the states 300 acres?
    the trail is 20 feet from one corner of my land. it winds through the woods. i have 9.5 acres. plenty for a 25 yard range + backstop. as far as i know, it is county land. (state / county the same i assume.)

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    I also suffer from "Stepoutbackandshootitus," a rare condition that effects us city dwellers.
    Oh my gosh, you mean I'm not alone!?!?!... At least Indy Trading Post is only a 2 minute drive up the road...

Well, if you can't go horizontal, go vertical. Dig yourself a hole that goes down 100 meters...
    Haha, I can see myself laying on the ground half suspended over a hole trying to line up my shot.

Sad part is, I live on enough land that I could easily build a nice 100 yard range, but it's within Indianapolis City Limits and there's no way they're going to let me build a range much less discharge firearms. :(

handgun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 1, 2012
    Oh my gosh, you mean I'm not alone!?!?!... At least Indy Trading Post is only a 2 minute drive up the road...

Haha, I can see myself laying on the ground half suspended over a hole trying to line up my shot.

Sad part is, I live on enough land that I could easily build a nice 100 yard range, but it's within Indianapolis City Limits and there's no way they're going to let me build a range much less discharge firearms. :(
    I wonder what sort of building permits you would need for that.. And land modification permissions.. It would never hurt to try!

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    I wonder what sort of building permits you would need for that.. And land modification permissions.. It would never hurt to try!
    I've considered it, but I have other higher-priorities at the moment with the first child on the way. No way I could convince the wife that a home range was a necessary expenditure at this point. :)

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    Well my current is a 3.8 inch barrel and the one I want is 4.5... Plus she refers to it as "the forty"

Doubt I can slip it under the radar. I have two options... Permission or forgiveness...

gunbunnies

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    NWI
    MikeDVB, as to your trying to purchase another firearm and getting the wife happy with it.... Always better to use the facts.....

Fact... All quality firearms either go up in value or atleast stay at what you expended for it originally if you pay street value for the piece. This is true no matter how many times you pull the trigger on the firearm, as long as you take care of it otherwise.

Fact... A firearm can be used to protect you and your child and wife, plus it may be able to procure food or other supplies needed to survive under certain conditions.

Fact.... In todays economic conditions, a firearm is currently one of the best selling products in the country, even out selling all other big investment items from the past such as property, etc.

Fact... When you die she can sell all your firearms off at more than what you spent for them and live off your great investment planning for many years to come.

Just thought I would chime in.....

Really need a firing range in the back yard.... starting to jones for one seeing those pics of home ranges.... boy the ability to just go out back and drop a couple rounds after dinner or working up a load for a gun and being able to just walk out the door and chrono it to see if it's performing as you thought***, bullet let down is setting in....

superjoe76

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 21, 2011
    Allen County
    Some people have no sympathy!

Right in the middle of a "Do not post Home Ranges" Thread... a few of you just have to rub it in! This is like rubbing money in a poor persons face. Please, can they be banned :D

The good news is, I have officially convinced my wife that we need a lot of acres. So whenever we look at property she says, "Its too close to town" or "Its not enough land" or a combination of both!

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    MikeDVB, as to your trying to purchase another firearm and getting the wife happy with it.... Always better to use the facts.....

Fact... All quality firearms either go up in value or atleast stay at what you expended for it originally if you pay street value for the piece. This is true no matter how many times you pull the trigger on the firearm, as long as you take care of it otherwise.

Fact... A firearm can be used to protect you and your child and wife, plus it may be able to procure food or other supplies needed to survive under certain conditions.

Fact.... In todays economic conditions, a firearm is currently one of the best selling products in the country, even out selling all other big investment items from the past such as property, etc.

Fact... When you die she can sell all your firearms off at more than what you spent for them and live off your great investment planning for many years to come.

Just thought I would chime in.....

Really need a firing range in the back yard.... starting to jones for one seeing those pics of home ranges.... boy the ability to just go out back and drop a couple rounds after dinner or working up a load for a gun and being able to just walk out the door and chrono it to see if it's performing as you thought***, bullet let down is setting in....
    It's more of getting past "you already have one"... :-)

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    The good news is, I have officially convinced my wife that we need a lot of acres. So whenever we look at property she says, "Its too close to town" or "Its not enough land" or a combination of both!

Thats good... That's good. Now, when you get to the building stage, if you can get her to ask questions like "I don't think that shop building will be large enough, do you"? Or insist "for our next project, we need to build a covered shooting bench" you'll be in tall cotton, then.

Top Bottom