Please, No more pictures of Home Ranges...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • superjoe76

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 21, 2011
    Allen County
    I decided to go to Izaak Walton today and renew my membership with them. Figured its the next best thing to a home range. Anyway, I get there and there is no one present to sign me up. A director showed up but couldn't get all of the paperwork I needed to get range privilege. IRONIC, isn't it.

All that did was further add to the Stepoutbackandshootitus!

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    I am thinking puppy dog face will get the job done. It worked for me in all my past relationships when i really really wanted to do or get something..... but ehh.. I am guessing forgiveness isn't always the best way to go either...:rockwoot:best of luck dude
    We went together today and picked it up :P.

leftsock

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 16, 2009
    Greenwood
    because the OP gets extremely jealous. :(

I suffer from Range Envy. I am stuck in the middle of a neighborhood, in the middle of Fort Wayne. I think a range would be frowned upon!

I also suffer from "Stepoutbackandshootitus," a rare condition that effects us city dwellers.

I know, I am a dork!

With your donations to the Buy Me A House In The Country fund, we can end this horrific disease for at least myself.:D

lovemywoods

Geek in Paradise!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 26, 2008
    Brown County
    I used to dream about a home range too!

Guys, I’m not trying to put the hurt on anyone. I have been blessed with a bit of ground and an understanding wife. Over the last seven years, INGO member esrice and I have put in several shooting areas on our property. We love to share with our INGO friends and have several classes/shoots each year.

The pistol range before a class
    2rdgrgp.jpg

Scene from NFA Day in the past (held on the pistol range)
    5upjc1.jpg

Targets at end of the pond for shooting 200+ yards
    2afy93n.jpg

Bobcat steel at the end of the pond
    2uf7tp3.jpg

50 yard sight-in range on the top of the dam
    20qnqwx.jpg

The most recent targets we added were in the yard and across the pond. It makes it easy to shoot off the deck, even if it’s just a few shots to unwind.

View from the deck toward both sets of targets in the yard
    ekpb7s.jpg

Medium-range view of the new target stand across the pond
    37djl.jpg

And here are some deer grazing one evening. They don’t seem to understand that they are standing in the middle of two target ranges! :rockwoot:
    xc3dhv.jpg

To those who are saving and planning for a place in the country: Keep your dream alive. It will happen some day. Do your homework and get ideas and information off of INGO and you’ll soon be planning where to put your new steel targets!

ctbreitwieser

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 14, 2011
    DuCo.
    ^^^Words cant even describe my jealousy. I have two farms to shoot on, but no where to set up a permanant range. I cant wait to get my own place. I will refuse to buy land if I cant put a range on it.

gunbunnies

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    NWI
    Lovemywoods, You are living the dream.... Awesome rendition too....

A lake and many ranges and woods and hunting areas, words can't describe the feeling after seeing those pics of your private range....

If I could only sell enough posters too you guys of the Gunbunnies I would surely invite you all out to the ranch...

I'm gonna sit back down and dream alittle while now, vividly now that I've seen these pic's.....

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    To those who are saving and planning for a place in the country: Keep your dream alive. It will happen some day. Do your homework and get ideas and information off of INGO and you’ll soon be planning where to put your new steel targets!

Ok you showed the pretty pics, so I'll show the ugly ones.

Building and maintaining your own range(s) is also hard work and costly.

Here is what the pistol range looked like when lovemywoods first moved in.

m9liiu.jpg

We had to grub out all of those trees, weeds, and brush. The dam was covered in 2" saplings that all had to be removed one at a time. It sucked.

And when half of the range became a muddy bog during one NFA Day, we had to install several drainage lines to take the water off the range and back into the creek.

30w4c28.jpg

fn94k7.jpg

2ni5xki.jpg

2u9nas9.jpg

2hobdb5.jpg

There is a trail down to the range that we put in. There is ongoing maintenance due to rutting from heavy rains. Luckily, dad got the 4-wheel drive tractor he had been wanting for 10 years!

x2s2ue.jpg

Know what happens when you invite 80 INGOers to your range and they put 15k rounds into the backstop with fully automatic and beltfed weapons in a weekend? You get destroyed target stands, broken target hangers, splintered wood tables, and craters in the dam. (and you have TONS of fun doing it!)

2qjbma8.jpg

59d8c930.jpg

433138a6.jpg

00645867.jpg

The same thing happens when your son comes over and shoots whenever he wants, albeit at a slower pace. :D

And don't forget all the Bocat Steel targets, and the stands that lovemywoods built himself. That stuff adds up over time.

So now you see some of the behind-the-scenes work of a private range. Even a fairly simple one. lovemywoods and I really enjoy sharing it with INGOers, and we'd do it all over again if given the chance.

BTW Dad, did you weed-whack the dam face yet? I need to know if its safe to come back down before you ask me to help. :D

Last edited by a moderator:

gunbunnies

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    NWI
    Welllll, All things that are worth having require some hard work to have......

Still a beautiful range and property, guys...

enjoy....

D ron

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 4, 2012
    Evansville
    I've been waiting for a month to close on my first house on 3 acres in the country to cure my own case. Hopefully within the next couple weeks. Planning on building a small range. I'll be sure to post pictures when I do to inspire hope for all of us sufferers.

gunbunnies

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    NWI
    My wife loves to mow grass.... and I like to shoot.... it's all good....

She does this thing with the Saiga 12 from time to time too.... I just call it turning the soil over for gardening....

Your in Brown County too, I love spending alittle time down there atleast once every couple years to shoot pictures in the spring and then in the fall.... Beautiful hills...

Top Bottom