• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BillD

Master
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Oct 28, 2008
    Greenwood
    Anything that goes bang is better than fingernails.

However, there are small pocket pistols in self defense worthy calibers.

The .38 spl +P is a good one and there are very small 9mm pistols.

The bad part is the smaller ones are harder to shoot well. They have a lot less weight and sight radius than full size handguns.

The key is practice, although, they aren't that much fun to practice with either.

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    Frequently carry a SIG 230 with HydraShoks in an IWB holster with a spare mag in left pocket. Never felt under armed. I prefer my LW Commander in .38 Super or .45 but sometimes it is just easier to carry the Sig. Any weapon you carry and use competently is better than nothing.

Prometheus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    given what the hit rate is in self-defense/LE shootings (i read 17%), maybe you should feel undergunned. add a second or third attacker and you could be in serious trouble. or a wooden box.

just sayin'.

+1 Some DOJ studies show 12% hit rates.... mix that in with, what is normally, a firearm that is harder to score hits with under normal conditions and it's a recipe for disaster. Even with a 20% hit ratio you're only scoring one round out of your snubbie or keltec/LCP.

Don't get lazy and lulled into a false sense of security because it's "easy".

Pocket guns are for NPE's (non permissive environments) or BUGs.

JHAWK1980

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 13, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Not sure if anyone has suggested but I'm looking for one of those 400 corbon amt back-ups. That's a bad little round. .45 necked down to a .40. Can't find one though

redsuperduty

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 10, 2010
    New Paris - Northern
    I really like my Smith airweight 38spcl+P. The pockets on my levi's are small and usually full, here lately I have been carrying it with a leather belt slide holster, an untucked t shirt hides it perfectly.
    38spclsmithstub.jpg

tbhausen

Master
    Rating - 100%
    83   0   0
    Feb 12, 2010
    West Central IN
    Just got a P380... I find it much easier to shoot well than many other pocket pistols because the trigger and sights are so good. Gonna add a CTC laser and pocket holster, then I'll never leave it home ;)

BillD

Master
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Oct 28, 2008
    Greenwood
    I really like my Smith airweight 38spcl+P. The pockets on my levi's are small and usually full, here lately I have been carrying it with a leather belt slide holster, an untucked t shirt hides it perfectly.

I've been known to go down the line of jeans in stores (usually Rural King but sometimes Penney's) and see which jeans or shorts have pockets big enough to hold my Airweight and holster.
    Wrangler carpenter jeans work for me. The pistol and pocket holster will tuck away in the back pocket of those.
    If you want to carry a gun in your pocket, you may have to change your wardrobe.
    If I was going to carry on the belt in a holster, I'd carry a bigger gun.

wahlspyder

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 13, 2010

Mike H

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    Vincennes
    I also carry a NAA Guardian .32 ACP with 2 mags full of Winchester Western Silvertips. Cooler weather I carry a Glock 22 .40S&W with Federal Hydra-shoks

Prometheus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    Just curious to how many people on here carry a pocket pistol as their primary carry? I purchased a Ruger LCP last month and I find myself sticking it in my pocket and heading out the door more times then not.

Take a look at how many people who carry a pocket pistol and feel "it's all I need" later post "I'm carrying a fullsize handgun today because (one man is loose in XYZ area) and think of the (non existant) logic there.

There actual threat level for the day has NOT increased but they "feel" like it has, so they acknowledge the inferiority of their standard choice and 'up arm'.

The sad part is when XYZ is caught, they will go right back to their inferior choice because they 'feel' safer, even though they aren't.

Logic, it's not just for Vulcans and the Founding Fathers.

You never know when some random nut is going to start shooting... even if you are just out farming iLn Lowell on you own property

RichardR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2010
    True Prometheus but a lot of folks simply cannot carry a full-size/duty gun around with them all of the time, so IMHO it's better to have something, even a little "mouse gun", rather than nothing at all to defend themselves with.

For example in the summer months (t-shirt/shorts weather) I will often just toss a little ultra-lite J-frame .38spl snub in my pocket, granted it wouldn't be my first choice to take into combat, but at least it gives me the capability of using deadly force if (God forbid) it should ever be required.

BillD

Master
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Oct 28, 2008
    Greenwood
    Take a look at how many people who carry a pocket pistol and feel "it's all I need" later post "I'm carrying a fullsize handgun today because (one man is loose in XYZ area) and think of the (non existant) logic there.

There actual threat level for the day has NOT increased but they "feel" like it has, so they acknowledge the inferiority of their standard choice and 'up arm'.

The sad part is when XYZ is caught, they will go right back to their inferior choice because they 'feel' safer, even though they aren't.

Logic, it's not just for Vulcans and the Founding Fathers.

You never know when some random nut is going to start shooting... even if you are just out farming iLn Lowell on you own property

And when some guy opens fire on you from 150 yds out, what are ya gonna do? Look down at that miserable excuse for a rifle you have on your belt?
    You are not prepared unless you have at least an M4 hidden under your duster.

I don't walk out of the house without full body armor and at least 3 firearms, one being a shorty M4 with collapsible stock. You can carry that almost anywhere, if you wear a camo poncho for a cover garment.

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    I am glad this got bumped! :)

I dont like the idea of a "pocket carry" gun as a primary carry. BUT, I do believe a compact, CONTROLLABLE small gun is adequate for defense and if necessary, offense against an active shooter.

I carry my Taurus 85, older model (fullish grip), plenty of speed strips with good ol' FBI loads. I try to have a good, fullsized grip with a caliber I can control with a darn good ammo that has adequate penetration and proven track record. An SP101 in my mind fills a role like this, but with MILD .357 (like my 1100 FPS SWCHP .357 lead load I make).

I have read articles by folks like Gabe Suarez and such that tout carry a fullsize gun because YOU and only YOU are going to run afoul of the AK toting nutjob. If you dont carry a G17 filled with DPX, you up shart creek. Not all of us can carry a fullsized pistol, true. I would prefer something larger, but due to size constraints, that is not possible. I would imagine a guy like Suarez dressed up to look like he was retaking Fallujah everyday. I am not going to say it is alarmism to sell mindset or training, but statistically it is so far out of reach for the average person to run afoul of in their daily life. BUT, carry is important.

The gun on your person is better than a gun in glovebox, true. Its things like small .380s or .32s (or god forbid, .25s) that I would not rely upon for constant, everyday, primary carry.

Prometheus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    True Prometheus but a lot of folks simply [STRIKE]cannot[/STRIKE] won't carry a full-size/duty gun around with them all of the time, so IMHO it's better to have something, even a little "mouse gun", rather than nothing at all to defend themselves with.
    Fixed. Since I already covered not being able to carry larger due to non permissive enviroments. Your next post reenforces the choice you make and improper use of the word cannot.
    For example in the summer months (t-shirt/shorts weather) I will often just toss a little ultra-lite J-frame .38spl snub in my pocket, granted it wouldn't be my first choice to take into combat, but at least it gives me the capability of using deadly force if (God forbid) it should ever be required.

t-shirt and shorts do not alter my carry weapon. I still carry a fullsize 4" XD, be it concealed or occasionally openly, generally shorts means sandals and it looks absurd (IMO) to open carry in sandals ;). Buy a good belt and holster and you can easy CC a 4" handgun in shorts and tshirt.

Not all of us [STRIKE]can[/STRIKE] want to carry a fullsized pistol, true. I would prefer something larger, but due to size constraints, that is not possible.
    Not possible because you work or are traveling in a NPE where discovery means termination/jail time or because you don't want it to be possible?

The gun on your person is better than a gun in glovebox, true. Its things like small .380s or .32s (or god forbid, .25s) that I would not rely upon for constant, everyday, primary carry.

I agree, in general, but I tend to stay away from traditional one liners ;)

Billd said:
    I don't walk out of the house without full body armor and at least 3 firearms, one being a shorty M4 with collapsible stock. You can carry that almost anywhere, if you wear a camo poncho for a cover garment.

Why the need for a cover garment? OC is legal in Indiana :rolleyes:

In the end it comes down to doing what makes you FEEL good, because logic has no place in the discussion of what may save your life and is realistic to acheive and follow thru with.

Top Bottom