• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Interesting question. Quick and dirty, I can't think of a way the magnetic field/pole would directly couple to the atmosphere; but the energy pumped into the field by CMEs and such might couple to the upper atmosphere and the drifting pole might change the point of application and thus some patterns

Even the recent acceleration in N Magnetic Pole drift doesn't seem so fast that a (relatively) stable vortex couldn't adjust, unless the new underlying terrain interferes

Also, interestingly; the S Magnetic Pole is moving slower over a shorter distance. This doesn't seem sustainable

Magnetic Poles

Lolz

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    This is a pic I took on December 19, 2016 as I was driving to the airport to go to LA. I didn't get my phone out quick enough to catch the -21.

I think we'll survive.

15541537_10210020947654655_1585361505100801727_n.jpg

indyblue

Guns & Pool Shooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 13, 2013
    Indy Northside `O=o-
    I remember 1979 carrying a 6-pack walking 3 blocks to a friends house and the beer was slush when I got there.
    I think actual was -20 and windchill was like -60

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    So, I heard last night that this cold snap could be the "worst" in 25 years.

Can someone more meteorologically informed explain that to me? I could've sworn we had a series of "Polar Vortex" days just a few years ago with comparable temps.
    My FB has been popping up memories from 5 years ago. This morning it was -18* here on my home thermometer. A couple weeks ago it popped one that showed -20*... So we had cold weather in 2014 apparently.

Bennettjh

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Columbus
    Part of life in Indiana I guess. Folks up North will be a lot worse off than us Southerners. I don't envy you.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Meh, what we really need is:

1) More chutzpah, and
    2) less whining.

Oh, I'm not whining. We've needed a good cold winter to kill the bugs. Last year I kept having stink bugs show up in the house. I hope they freeze their little collective asses off! :):

Seriously, when I was (much) younger, I used to love winter camping. Okay, I hated my first winter camping experience when I was in Boy Scouts. It was 15 below with probably 50-ish below wind chill. I was equipped with a K-Mart special sleeping bag. I didn't get a wink of sleep that night. My chest hurt the next morning from breathing so heavily from the cold. My tent-mate got a mild case of frostbite IN HIS SLEEPING BAG. Learned how to prepare properly after that one!

If you're properly prepared, there's nothing like waking up in the woods to a freshly fallen snow. Very quiet and peaceful. But now I am old and my bedroom is pretty quiet and peaceful (and much warmer) to wake up to. :):

Top Bottom