• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • steve0322

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 9, 2015
    Mooresville
    Time to implement the "don't rent to a single individual" policy.

Why? I rent from ranges often to change up from what I normally shoot. Might as well not sell AR-15 style rifles because they've been used in shootings with multiple fatalities/casualties.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    I think crispy is approaching it from the potential liability perspective, in an abundance of caution.

What people do with their own firearms is pretty much up to them. When they rent, it poses certain collateral issues.

singlesix

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, In
    I think crispy is approaching it from the potential liability perspective, in an abundance of caution.

What people do with their own firearms is pretty much up to them. When they rent, it poses certain collateral issues.
    Slippery slope, isn't this the same thought process for suing gun manufactures and gun stores for what people do with guns after they buy them? If a gun range decided to stop renting guns I can't blame them, holding individuals responsible their actions seems to be the last resort.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Slippery slope, isn't this the same thought process for suing gun manufactures and gun stores for what people do with guns after they buy them? If a gun range decided to stop renting guns I can't blame them, holding individuals responsible their actions seems to be the last resort.
    That's the crux.

Any business owner balances a variation of the same risk assessment. Product A offers more profit, but potentially creates more liability - offer it or not?

Private business, house rules and all that.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso

There is no way to ensure you won't be sued, but plenty of ways to win. If someone were to want to hire me to look at this, sure I'd probably say the "safest" course of action is no rentals, but assuming you don't want to do this, we would plan to make a win as probable as....possible.

Some things I would think about, and this is not legal advice for anyone, just hypothetical noodling, are these. Those who rent guns have to be on the lookout for overtly strange behavior. However, people who are seriously planning suicide have a tendency to appear however they need to in order to make it happen. If you get a feeling- don't rent. Do they want to buy one cartridge? Don't rent. Have a good waiver/indemnity/hold harmless that applies to the renter, heirs, estates, up to and including the Pope. From a liability position, I would be more concerned about others on the range than the shooter. Comparative fault as a matter of law because our common law is not yet to the point (hopefully) where the range has an affirmative duty to prevent a suicide (unlike a jail, for instance).

Oh yeah, and insurance. Lots and lots of insurance.

Just some thoughts.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Yes, all those things, and as I gather from the posts upthread, it appears likely that personnel are actually trained on this kind of situation.

A google of Point Blank and it appears this is not the first time something like this has happened. So, I suspect there are processes in place, which helps to mitigate the risk, too.

Old Prof

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 8, 2015
    West Lafayette
    Why? I rent from ranges often to change up from what I normally shoot. Might as well not sell AR-15 style rifles because they've been used in shootings with multiple fatalities/casualties.

My understanding is the "no rent to an individual" will rent if you already have a gun. So trying out guns works, but there's no worry about having to clean up after a suicide when renting a gun.

mstagg

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 31, 2017
    Indianapolis
    This is horrible.

Add it to the list of incidents at the Carmel location. Some woman got shot in the leg there a few months ago. I feel bad for the employees.

Ballistix

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 17, 2016
    Next Door
    What makes this particular incident any more horrible than any of the other suicides that happen... EVERY day? Public suicide isn't anything new. Suicide at a shooting range...nothing new.
    Suicide happens more than it should, but it's the choice of the individual. One isn't any more horrible than the next. Suicide impacts others regardless of the scenario.
    The positive...this person didn't make the decision to take others with them.

Anytime a person enters a location, where people have firearms, shoot firearms, etc., should be thankful they are fortunate enough to leave without incident. There isn't any way of knowing the qualifications of any individual and an accident could happen.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    Anytime a person enters a location, where people practice medicine, prescribe drugs, etc., should be thankful they are fortunate enough to leave without incident. There isn't any way of knowing the qualifications of any individual and an accident could happen.

FIFY

Ballistix

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 17, 2016
    Next Door
    Anytime a person enters a location, where people practice medicine, prescribe drugs, etc., should be thankful they are fortunate enough to leave without incident. There isn't any way of knowing the qualifications of any individual and an accident could happen.

FIFY

Yes, the statement can be used for many situations, even though I don't understand how a prescription would cause an incident before leaving an establishment, but how does your change relate to this thread or even the original story?

Ballistix

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 17, 2016
    Next Door
    Suicides come in many flavors and more people die in the hospital from malpractice than shooting ranges from any reason.

The thread isn't discussing malpractice. Malpractice isn't suicide. It's about suicides and if you would have read my first post, it states "any of the other suicides that happen... EVERY day".
    ANY being an operative word.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    Yet the post I responded to said that "Anytime a person enters a location, where people have firearms, shoot firearms, etc., should be thankful they are fortunate enough to leave without incident." which had nothing to do with suicide and tried to paint the shooting sports like Anytown or the Mom's who need action.

Joniki

Master
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NE Indiana
    I have dealt with many, many suicides over the years. Firearms, hanging, CO and OD just to name a few. I actually once had a guy that rammed a circular saw into his neck. Many years ago there was a guy that killed himself in the range at what is now Freedom firearms. Every time I shoot that lane I think about what pushed him over the edge.

The bottom line for me is I am OK with people killing themselves as long as they don't take any unwilling bystanders with them.

RND

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 15, 2014
    Westfield
    I have dealt with many, many suicides over the years. Firearms, hanging, CO and OD just to name a few. I actually once had a guy that rammed a circular saw into his neck. Many years ago there was a guy that killed himself in the range at what is now Freedom firearms. Every time I shoot that lane I think about what pushed him over the edge.

The bottom line for me is I am OK with people killing themselves as long as they don't take any unwilling bystanders with them.

+1

shootersix

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    this is one of the reasons why i'm glad the shop i work at doesn't have a range! the other big one would be if i had rented a gun to a sjbem (slack jawed booger eating moron) who accidentally shoots someone!!!!!!!

the last time i went to an indoor range, a sjbem pointed a loaded gun at my dad, i grabbed him, we left, and never shot at that range again!

i remember the range in florida, where a mother who had visitation with her son (dad had custody) rented 2 guns, one for the son, and one for her, while he was on the line, she shot him in the back of the head, then shot herself (the footage was online, and pretty disturbing)

we had a customer, a elderly gentleman, he came into the shop every saturday, sometimes bringing his dog a little pomeranian (i hate poms! all but her!) she never barked, nipped or growled and anybody, we kept treats for her in the shop, his son died right before christmas, when he stopped in the shop he looked fine, the owner of the shop called me one day, i guess he was hiding the pain well, the next time i worked, we had a fbi "firearm trace request" for a smith and wesson model 69 that i sold him a year or two before. he had plenty of others to choose from, but i remember him sitting in the chair across from the hand gun cabinet and me saying "hey we have the new smith 44 magnum in stock" and "him saying can i see it?" and him saying "ill take it"

i miss seeing him and daisy(the dog) on saturdays!

Top Bottom