• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Tactical Dave

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plainfield
    I don't blame them for not talking to the neighbor or anyyone else, this can result in a lawsuit.

I don't know the laws out there but for all we know they are supposed to secure the house or what they can find if the house can no be secured and they often take pictures to show condition and to verrify that it was there ect ect.

If it was me and I did get everything back I would be talking to the Supervisor and IA about how it was handled and the laws/PD policy... then go from their.

If the place was able to be locked up (sounds like it was) then I would think they would have just locked it up....... that or if it could not have been locked asked him if there was someone that could watch over th eplace untill he got back.

Just because he says he fell does not mean much, the cops may have thought that he was in fear of his life because someone was still in the house that harmed him and they cleared the house to make sure.......

Another reason to have things locked up in safes....... If the cops then decided to open the safe then we would have some legal problems I am sure because someone can't lock themself in a safe.....

I do agree that it sounds fishy with them taking the food.... Im interested to hear what the PD says......... we don't know IL law either guys and we all know they are pretty strict......

I do feel that them taking them is wrong....... Does IL have a law stating that they must be locked up? Doubt it, just curious.

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    I'm guessing they couldn't secure the property, and for liability the police can't leave an unsecured property with known firearms in there.

Their job is not to ensure that his belongings are in order. Their job is to ensure that he is not deprived of his life, liberty, or property without due process of law. -5th Amendment to the U.S. Constitution

Again, line of thinking is they don't want gangbangers getting easy access to guns and body armor.

Sounds like that happened anyways. Why not ask a neighbor, or emergency contact? It simply was beyond their job description to remove boxes and boxes of supplies from a man's house.

This is why you need to have a safe.

To keep the cops out of it.

:yesway:

JBusch8899

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    This is why you need to have a safe.

To keep the cops out of it.

As if that would stop the gestapo.

I'm wondering, the police had to inventory the firearms and the accessories. Did they not also provide a receipt to the owner?

Be prepared for things to "disappear" into unknown private individual collections.

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    As if that would stop the gestapo.

I'm wondering, the police had to inventory the firearms and the accessories. Did they not also provide a receipt to the owner?

Be prepared for things to "disappear" into unknown private individual collections.

That, and you've gotta wonder how carefully they are being handled? Are they all just tossed around together in somebody's trunk?

If they are concerned with liability, they ought not touch another man's stuff!

dsol

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    May 28, 2009
    Jeffersonville
    Sounds to me is that a couple of cops saw the chance to score some free ammo and supplies. Maybe make a gun or two dissappear in the process. I wouldn't put it past them in the least. Now they will go to some jerkwad prosecutor who will file some charges just to make the delay even longer in hopes that the guy will run out of money, cop to a plea and give up everything in order to get on with his life.

Wabatuckian

Smith-Sights.com
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    Wabash
    I belong to an email group run by a somewhat well-known gun author who keeps us updated on the goings-on of gun rights and attacks thereupon.

Here is one of the latest:

Illinois to Declare “Disarm Lawful Citizens Week”

As an aside, I read the original thread on the original website. Friday came and went and no guns were delivered.

It appears the police are looking for a reason for the man to be declared incompetent.

A MAG member's house was cleaned out of Preps (UPDATED 5/14/10)

Enjoy the read. If I were preparing like this, I really wouldn't put it out on the internet, ya' know? ;)

Josh

Andre46996

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Hammond
    From the original thread at When SHTF - The Modern Day Survival Forum - Home

Today was the day the guns and ammo were suppose to be returned.The police have not return the property. It looks like they feel, he needs to be evaluated to see if he is mentally stable. He has some memory lost due to having a stroke. I won't go into his past history on here. He has never had any mental issues. He has a hot temper but who can blame him.I don't know what he said to the police but he has been nothing but respectful.

A lawyer will be stepping in at this point.His gun card will likely be revoked until he can show he is mentally stable. As far as I can see, there is nothing wrong with him mentally.I guess all of us survival types have a screw loose and shouldn't own guns. I knew they were lying to him ,as soon as they said they were not done with the guns and were opening up a investigation. I guess this is what they do when they can't find anything to pin on ya.

longbow

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    south central IN
    I left IL right after college.......

With the exception of my two sisters, everyone else in my family and inlaws followed us to Indiana, after they saw how much fun it was...........(

I was able to convince 25 people to flee IL from 1985 to 2001. NO one is sad they left.

dr632

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 29, 2010
    Brown County
    This is just unbelievable. There must be more to the story.

I very much dislike even having to drive through this State.

I guess all this material stuff doesn't matter and I hope your colleague has/will recover and be fine. That is what matters most here.

2ADMNLOVER

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    May 13, 2009
    West side Indy
    Everything is being returned according to the dectectives handling the investigation. We won't know what is missing until they delivered it.

I don't understand why they need to do a investigation. They contacted his personal nurse and asked some questions. Hmm, I wonder what kind of questions were asked !! It looks like they are looking for reasons to not return the weapons, but can't find any. By Friday they said they will drop off everything taken.

This is my opinion. I believe that are looking to find someone to say this guy is not stable.The investigation is most likely asking all his neighbors about what they think of his mental health.

He has no history of being unstable or a danger to his self. This would be a good way to revoke his gun card and keep his weapons.I also wonder if they are doing a ballast test on each gun and are waiting for the results. The rifle has never been fired. It is brand new.

The police have ballasts off his revolver from when he bought it. He has shot this weapon at the range a couple times.This guy is a cripple and very disabled guy that had a real bad stroke. This is the only sport he can barely do.

This guy can barely walk and is completely harmless in my opinion. He has the revolver because he can't shoot a pistol. He lost use of one arm due to the stroke.

This guy needs a gun for home protection.This is the only way he can protect his self. Some criminals target the disabled as they are easy marks.

Friday 5-14-10 , 2:33 P.M.

Today was the day the guns and ammo were suppose to be returned.The police have not return the property. It looks like they feel, he needs to be evaluated to see if he is mentally stable.

He has some memory lost due to having a stroke. I won't go into his past history on here. He has never had any mental issues. He has a hot temper but who can blame him.I don't know what he said to the police but he has been nothing but respectful.

A lawyer will be stepping in at this point.His gun card will likely be revoked until he can show he is mentally stable.

As far as I can see, there is nothing wrong with him mentally.I guess all of us survival types have a screw loose and shouldn't own guns.

I knew they were lying to him ,as soon as they said they were not done with the guns and were opening up a investigation.

I guess this is what they do when they can't find anything to pin on ya.

I guess the moral of this story is , if you prep , DON'T GET HURT .

Tactical Dave

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plainfield
    Thanks for the update. I am glad to see a lawyer is involved... hopefully he hor she can get to the bottom of it. I could them wanting to make sure he was mentally "ok" but I fail to see why they would take everything.

As some may have noticed I try not to jump to comclusions not to mention when it is coming from a second or third person but I am glad he has a lawyer because something sounds fishy.

Another reason to have things locked up.... would make all the above quite a bit harder to happen.

gohard43

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 16, 2010
    Northside Indy
    Thanks for updating....I really hope this man gets his belongings back......it is just sick that the police dept feels the need to do this. Hopefully he gets a good lawyer and the dept gets put back in their place. My guess is quite a few wanted some free ammo......

2ADMNLOVER

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    May 13, 2009
    West side Indy
    Last night , I sent a PM to the OP and got his response this morning .

It appears that he's being declared unfit to own weapons due to his current mental capacity .

mr slow said:
    No ,response from the police and the guns and ammo, have yet to be returned.

They took his gun card the last time I heard from him.They told him to come pick up his weapons and ammo and when he arrived they ask for his gun card.

This guy has no money to fight this gun grab . He is bad at following simple directions that I gave him.I'm leaving this situation alone.He thinks the cops are going to give him his weapons.

Its been over two weeks and he has not attain a lawyer.I told him to kiss his gun card goodbye

For some reason he thinks the police are going to give his stuff to his brother.

I can't stand people who don't listen or follow directions.I gave him a list of questions to ask the cops and he came back with no answers.

They are saying he is not responsible enough to own guns after they talked to a few neighbors and family members.

They are listening to the few people that don't like him.This guy is straight out stupid.

He doesn't know how to defend his self or answer there question. He has brain damage from the stroke so he forget things easily.

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Last night , I sent a PM to the OP and got his response this morning .

It appears that he's being declared unfit to own weapons due to his current mental capacity .

It appears the OP agrees with that assessment, from the tone of his response...

bw210

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Sep 24, 2009
    Kouts, IN
    Another reason to have things locked up.... would make all the above quite a bit harder to happen.

After reading this thread, the above statement has me seriously thinking about entry door locks on our cellar/storage door. Not that it would stop them from entering/searching, but at least it would be forceable entry. Don't know if it matters, but a $20 lockset might be real cheap insurance.

Top Bottom