Politeness and Manners? Lost on Young People?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    I've seen it more times than you an imagine. Entitled kids with protective "it's somebody else's fault" parents. I've seen parents that had to bury their kids because of that attitude. Hence why my kids won't ever be that way.

I certainly agree with you there. I find it abhorrent that our country, at least parts of it, condone attacks on people due to a hat (or other items identifying political affiliation). It's part of the overall larger picture of a lack of politeness and civility that seems to be worldwide.

Disgruntled0321

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2019
    In a compound
    Most of the younger generation today has a serious lack of what my parents and grandparents used to refer to it as "home training ". When we were growing up if we didnt respect our elders or give up our seat for an elderly person or a lady, hold the door open for others ,etc then we would either find ourselves staring up at the sky or ceiling before we picked up our asses and /or teeth off the ground! Sometimes after you woke up. Then you were made to apologize to the person you were rude or impolite to while explaining to that person why you were apologizing. My parents and grandparents didnt tolerate that stuff one bit!
    My 7yr old daughter has always been respectful and polite to everyone. That's the way we've always taught her though of course. We've never had to discipline her in any way because of a lack of respect or because she was impolite to someone. It really came sort of natural for her because that's just the way she is. The kid never meets a stranger and is very loving towards everyone (sometimes to a fault). All it really takes is for parents to teach by example. If more kids were taught the simple "old school" values and ways like we were then more kids would be more polite and respectful.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Most of the younger generation today has a serious lack of what my parents and grandparents used to refer to it as "home training ". When we were growing up if we didnt respect our elders or give up our seat for an elderly person or a lady, hold the door open for others ,etc then we would either find ourselves staring up at the sky or ceiling before we picked up our asses and /or teeth off the ground! Sometimes after you woke up. Then you were made to apologize to the person you were rude or impolite to while explaining to that person why you were apologizing. My parents and grandparents didnt tolerate that stuff one bit!
    My 7yr old daughter has always been respectful and polite to everyone. That's the way we've always taught her though of course. We've never had to discipline her in any way because of a lack of respect or because she was impolite to someone. It really came sort of natural for her because that's just the way she is. The kid never meets a stranger and is very loving towards everyone (sometimes to a fault). All it really takes is for parents to teach by example. If more kids were taught the simple "old school" values and ways like we were then more kids would be more polite and respectful.

You wouldn't believe how many people, even relatively respectful people, have forgotten or were never taught such values. I was blessed to having been raised in small southern town where stuff like that was not just optional politeness, but required.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Just take your business to the next town south on 37, Bedford is very different and the breakfast at Golden Corral is the best anywhere.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Warning, naughty word, just one and it goes by extremely fast...

[video=youtube;Hqp1bGuiHHs]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hqp1bGuiHHs[/video]

Manners are interesting things. They can be a million little rules no one could ever memorize, or they can just be common sense based upon kindness, propriety and generally thinking of others.

I think that manners just kinda happened when we grew up in families that ate around the dinner table.

Last edited:

yeahbaby

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    Portage
    I work at at Midwest University. So I am around young people all the time. Some even work for me. I would say it's 50/50. I think a lot has to do with upbringing, taught manners and respect. Some families including the adults have never experienced that. So what gets passed on to the kid. Sure there are exceptions, with the parents doing the best they can to raise a knucklehead with the values I mentioned with no success. I used to get all upset with the way idiots drive now a days. Finally I just told myself, as long as they don't hit me or endanger myself or my passengers, screw em. You never know what you are going to run into in a road rage incident. The other person could be packing and pull a gun out on you, and possibly worse. And that is not saying I would not defend myself if need be. My point on this last sentence is PappyD mentioning a can of whup ass coming out. He can do what he wants. But I would think getting physical for a simple situation as the young man not moving would not be wise. As he may be the one getting arrested. I am so grateful that my brothers and I were raised by parents from the great depression. They survived through some very tough times. And passed those traits on to us. In turn passed them on to our 2 sons. Who make my wife and I so proud of them as they have turned out to be great men.

Karl-just-Karl

Retired
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 5, 2014
    NE
    Shopping at Walmart and one of the younger employees (whom I've taken issue with previously) actually barged/charged between an elderly couple like he was playing Red-Rover. He could have stepped aside and let the lady with a cart pass the aisle and there would have been plenty of room for him and the elderly couple. But no, wherever he was going was more important than risking running an elderly couple down.

In the event that they didn't complain to management, I did.

I haven't seen him for a while now, I doubt they fired him. He probably moved on to something else that he felt he was more deserving of.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    One time when I was in 5th grade, as my class was coming back in the classroom from somewhere, my teacher was talking to another teacher just outside the door, trying to be cute rather than just walk into the room through the ample space available, I squeezed between them to go into the room.

What followed was a double team about how rude I was to interrupt and a lot of this:

lean.png

...and sitting at my desk at the next recess.

They were right. I had been an impolite turd and I didn't want to be one anymore....a lesson I never forgot.

I was glad my parents never found out because unlike so many parents today who would have made a stink at the school, I would have gotten a spanking at home. My parents always told me that if I did something to get punished at school, I would get punished at home too.

It is no wonder that some kids are the way they are.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    When I was growing up, Mom was the disciplinarian, but Dad was the "enforcer". By that I mean that if I ever back talked to Mom, Dad made it clear that it would not happen again. The most physical punishment I ever received from Mom was probably a swat on the butt with a fly swatter. It was Dad's tone of voice that made me realize that he was serious. I never wanted to test that.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    When I was growing up, Mom was the disciplinarian, but Dad was the "enforcer". By that I mean that if I ever back talked to Mom, Dad made it clear that it would not happen again. The most physical punishment I ever received from Mom was probably a swat on the butt with a fly swatter. It was Dad's tone of voice that made me realize that he was serious. I never wanted to test that.

Yup. The mere mention of "Just wait until your Father gets home little mister" was enough to make us sick to our stomachs. The old man was pretty cruel in those situations.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Warning, naughty word, just one and it goes by extremely fast...

[video=youtube;Hqp1bGuiHHs]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hqp1bGuiHHs[/video]

Manners are interesting things. They can be a million little rules no one could ever memorize, or they can just be common sense based upon kindness, propriety and generally thinking of others.

I think that manners just kinda happened when we grew up in families that ate around the dinner table.

The carrot and the stick approach. I like it.
    I just sit there and repeat to myself, "It's none of my business. It's none of my business. It's none of my business."
    And I see plenty of all ages wearing their hat inside.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    I think it matters what you are inside.

Rule of thumb for me- anywhere you order from your table, hats off.

’Course, I don’t where hats that often.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    That's one thing I'll disagree about. If I'm wearing a hat, it's to hide my hair and it's not coming off. If I'm going somewhere really nice, I don't wear a hat. If I'm just going out somewhere that's every day fancy, the hat stays on. I'm not a cowboy who has to doff my hat at the sight of a lady or anything.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    I think it matters what you are inside.

Rule of thumb for me- anywhere you order from your table, hats off.

’Course, I don’t where hats that often.

Inside?
    I'm pink, red, gray, white, and nasty.
    Over the course of my life, I've seen too much of my insides.

:)

Munky

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 8, 2008
    Cicero
    I'm only 32, and even I think the kids nowadays are spoiled brats. I blame their parents, trying to be their friends, and not parents.

Top Bottom