Politeness and Manners? Lost on Young People?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    I cant imagine not holding a door open for someone behind me especially a lady but I do it for men too. Also shaking hands as a greeting. Sometimes i really need to sit but I will get up and give my seat for a lady or elderly. I have my own issues but its proper. Im raising my kids to do the same.
    Things correct themselves. I know this country will get back to its roots.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I cant imagine not holding a door open for someone behind me especially a lady but I do it for men too. Also shaking hands as a greeting. Sometimes i really need to sit but I will get up and give my seat for a lady or elderly. I have my own issues but its proper. Im raising my kids to do the same.
    Things correct themselves. I know this country will get back to its roots.

Opening a door for someone is helpful. Shaking hands is merely a custom. That's a social construct. Giving up a seat for a lady, just because she's a lady, is a social construct as well. There are other reasons to give your seat up for a lady. If you can tell that a person needs the seat more than you do, it's being helpful to do so. A pregnant woman, yeah. An elderly gentleman who looks like he has a hard time standing. A drunk. Someone who is crippled. That's just helpful. "Proper" is a social construct, and it's good to follow the social norms that society has developed, because it helps maintain order. But, my point is not that we shouldn't follow customs and norms just because they're social constructs. I'm saying that seeing them evolve into something else, alone, is not evidence that society is devolving. The evidence that society is devolving is a general lack of a desire to be considerate of other people.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Yeah. It's purple. But I kinda suspect it's halfway serious.

So. It's not just the old fogies. I see plenty of young people wearing them too.

Tell you what. Stop wearing che guevara tee shirts and then we can talk about the MAGA hats.

Yeah, it was in purple. You'd be a dangerous man if you had a piece of paper to back your psychological diagnoses.

Brad69

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2016
    Perry county
    I think some of this goes back to where most of you INGO people live in the city that provides ethnic food at 2 AM.
    You would be hard pressed to find bad manners out of the normal people in my area.

Now the “hill people” that’s a different story you can id them by the dirt most of them are filthy other traits are blurred homemade tattoos, greasy matted hair, often almost unintelligible language.
    Hill people can be from Kentucky as well and usually are wearing stuff a few years older the the Indiana version.
    All the “hill people” scare the Amish

Very rude and unpredictable people!

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    I think some of this goes back to where most of you INGO people live in the city that provides ethnic food at 2 AM.
    You would be hard pressed to find bad manners out of the normal people in my area.

Now the “hill people” that’s a different story you can id them by the dirt most of them are filthy other traits are blurred homemade tattoos, greasy matted hair, often almost unintelligible language.
    Hill people can be from Kentucky as well and usually are wearing stuff a few years older the the Indiana version.
    All the “hill people” scare the Amish

Very rude and unpredictable people!

We have them in northern Alabama. People that take trailers and build houses around them. So while they are interesting people, the do have a relatively intelligent section. lol

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Marshall Tucker Band said it well...

"Tell It To The Devil"

I can't stand to see a grown man
    Hit a little kid
    Or get cussed out for somethin'
    Not even knowin' what he did
    See a man any man
    Messin' 'round with your best friend's wife
    Or sit helpless in the corner
    And watch a man drink away his life

I'm gonna clean my soul up lord
    You don't owe me no back pay
    I'm gonna tell that to the devil
    When I see him today

Walked to a graveyard
    May they all rest in peace
    I wish they could all go to heaven
    I bet two did at least
    Someone that don't feel sorry
    For the helpless and the blind
    Kinda makes you wanna pick up the bible
    And memorize every single line

When I see him today

See a man walk by a beggar
    With an empty tin cup
    Kinda makes you wanna grab him
    By the back of the neck
    Knock him down and never pick him up

When I see him today

When I see him today

JollyMon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2012
    Westfield, IN
    Every generation thinks this about the next.

Socrates (469–399 B.C.) QUOTATION: The children now love luxury; they have bad manners, contempt for authority; they show disrespect for elders and love chatter in place of exercise. Children are now tyrants, not the servants of their households.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    Opening a door for someone is helpful. Shaking hands is merely a custom. That's a social construct. Giving up a seat for a lady, just because she's a lady, is a social construct as well. There are other reasons to give your seat up for a lady. If you can tell that a person needs the seat more than you do, it's being helpful to do so. A pregnant woman, yeah. An elderly gentleman who looks like he has a hard time standing. A drunk. Someone who is crippled. That's just helpful. "Proper" is a social construct, and it's good to follow the social norms that society has developed, because it helps maintain order. But, my point is not that we shouldn't follow customs and norms just because they're social constructs. I'm saying that seeing them evolve into something else, alone, is not evidence that society is devolving. The evidence that society is devolving is a general lack of a desire to be considerate of other people.
    I sort of disagree with you. I don't know the right words to use for it but I know that a handshake or a kind gesture is or can be much more than just a procedural thing. There's a human connection by touch, mutual respect, looking someone in the eye. Giving a sincere smile.
    I dont ever want to feel like I do things that just feel like im following a rule book. I do things to be sincere. Not for show

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I sort of disagree with you. I don't know the right words to use for it but I know that a handshake or a kind gesture is or can be much more than just a procedural thing. There's a human connection by touch, mutual respect, looking someone in the eye. Giving a sincere smile.
    I dont ever want to feel like I do things that just feel like im following a rule book. I do things to be sincere. Not for show

Interesting trivia... I believe shaking hands with the right hand originated as a way to show that you were unarmed (from back in the day when you'd carry your sword or other weapon in your right hand).

chocktaw2

Home on the Range
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 5, 2011
    Mayberry
    Wife opens doors for me all the time. It's a joke, I'm completely white, she has black hair, no dye, and she is 70. Be 71 on 1/1/2020.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    I’m trying to keep my kids respectful but it’s hard with everything they see.

My dad had a cure for that.
    I'd get the belt an extra time for saying something stupid like that.
    Then he'd ask me if I wanted to point it out again.
    He told me, didn't matter what others did, if I did what he told me not to, or didn't do what he did tell me to, I was going to get punished, no matter what happened to my friends. Flinching got extra spanks. Crying about it got extra spanks. Pointing out others could do it got extra spanks.

Course, now is a "different" time.

Top Bottom