• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wsenefeld

Master
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Boone Co.
    Went there to shoot a few rounds through my AR and recently started reloading so I would shoot 5, pick up my brass, then shoot another 5... After a clip or so the range officer ran down like there was an emergency and yelled at me over the loud speaker (while standing right in front of me) to inform me that I am only allowed to pick up my own brass and I am NOT permitted to pick up any other brass. I felt like I had only picked up what was mine, all my brass was still warm.

Overall the place feels like a joke where the mall cops want to hold your hand and run it like a bunch of Nazi's. I will not be returning or giving them any more of my business. If he had walked down and not tried to make a spectacle of the situation, maybe I wouldn't have left with such a bad taste in my mouth but that was just disappointing.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    Went there to shoot a few rounds through my AR and recently started reloading so I would shoot 5, pick up my brass, then shoot another 5... After a clip or so the range officer ran down like there was an emergency and yelled at me over the loud speaker (while standing right in front of me) to inform me that I am only allowed to pick up my own brass and I am NOT permitted to pick up any other brass. I felt like I had only picked up what was mine, all my brass was still warm.

Overall the place feels like a joke where the mall cops want to hold your hand and run it like a bunch of Nazi's. I will not be returning or giving them any more of my business. If he had walked down and not tried to make a spectacle of the situation, maybe I wouldn't have left with such a bad taste in my mouth but that was just disappointing.

What did they look like? I have been shooting there for some time. I pick up my brass, others, and even go through the buckets. No one says a thing to me. You have to understand one thing. There are a lot of idiots that shoot their that can not follow simple rules. I would probably be bitter as well if I had to deal with morons on a daily basis.

iceman46222

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    Yes I have had the same thing happen to me .And if you talk to the boss lady she will tell you that she backs her people RIGHT OR WRONG!!!

wsenefeld

Master
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Boone Co.
    What did they look like? I have been shooting there for some time. I pick up my brass, others, and even go through the buckets. No one says a thing to me. You have to understand one thing. There are a lot of idiots that shoot their that can not follow simple rules. I would probably be bitter as well if I had to deal with morons on a daily basis.

White male in his 50's, small to average build, glasses, and maybe 5'8"-5'10"? He was wearing a black fleece and a red ball hat. I did pack up and leave as soon as it happened. Their right to run it how they choose but my right to refuse to return.

mjrducky

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    63   0   0
    Jun 16, 2009
    North Liberty, IN
    Ive always picked up my brass there with no issues, But only during cold range time.

If I am trying new loads I will mark my brass with numbers or different color sharpie so I can look at them later.

Last edited:

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    White male in his 50's, small to average build, glasses, and maybe 5'8"-5'10"? He was wearing a black fleece and a red ball hat. I did pack up and leave as soon as it happened. Their right to run it how they choose but my right to refuse to return.

That was Frank. He can be a bit bitter at times, with the morons he deals with, I would to. I have never had an issue, even with Amanda. I here people say things, but I have personally never witnessed any of it, and I shoot there a lot.

SEIndSAM

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    May 14, 2011
    Ripley County
    That was Frank. He can be a bit bitter at times, with the morons he deals with, I would to. I have never had an issue, even with Amanda. I here people say things, but I have personally never witnessed any of it, and I shoot there a lot.

You know, I have been there at least 8 or 9 times since June. Everytime I am there, I see Frank yelling at people. But as far as I can tell, everytime I see him coming down on someone, they had it coming.

Did you deserve to be called on the carpet like that, no. But in the hour and a half I was there is afternoon I saw him come down on at least a half dozen people. Everyone was breaking a safety rule. I have never been yelled at by Frank because I read the rules and strictly adhere to them. I guess if I was doing his job, I would get aggravated by people not adhering to the rules. It may be a lot of fun, but the Range is serious business and many people seem not to take it too serious.

You have a ton of people there with a widely varied experience level. I feel much better having a "Range Nazi" watching over the crowd so that I can pay attention to what I am doing.

ThrottleJockey

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Between Greenwood and Martinsville
    I won't put up with being treated like a child or a criminal anywhere, especially not by someone I'm paying. I hate "ranges" and prefer to do my shooting on private property....mine or with permission of course. Don't tell me how much time must pass between trigger pulls, not to pick up brass, or anything else a free man has choice over.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    You know, I have been there at least 8 or 9 times since June. Everytime I am there, I see Frank yelling at people. But as far as I can tell, everytime I see him coming down on someone, they had it coming.

Did you deserve to be called on the carpet like that, no. But in the hour and a half I was there is afternoon I saw him come down on at least a half dozen people. Everyone was breaking a safety rule. I have never been yelled at by Frank because I read the rules and strictly adhere to them. I guess if I was doing his job, I would get aggravated by people not adhering to the rules. It may be a lot of fun, but the Range is serious business and many people seem not to take it too serious.

You have a ton of people there with a widely varied experience level. I feel much better having a "Range Nazi" watching over the crowd so that I can pay attention to what I am doing.

Exactly, how many times has he called out not to touch any benches, yet people do it. I only see him get upset when people break the rules. I have seen him help countless people with sighting in rifles and such. The only time I have seen him get mad about people picking up brass, is when they reach over the red line during live fire.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    I won't put up with being treated like a child or a criminal anywhere, especially not by someone I'm paying. I hate "ranges" and prefer to do my shooting on private property....mine or with permission of course. Don't tell me how much time must pass between trigger pulls, not to pick up brass, or anything else a free man has choice over.

By all means. By the way, they have to observe DNR rules. It is DNR property that is leased out. If I had private property to shoot on, then it would be different. Glad some of you where never in the Military. You think Atterbury is strict, that's elementary.

Last edited:

ThrottleJockey

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Between Greenwood and Martinsville
    By all means. By the way, they have to observe DNR rules. It is DNR property that is leased out. If I had private property to shoot on, then it would be different. Glad some of you where never in the Military. You think Atterbury is strict, that's elementary.
    Where does this come from? What does it have to do with anything? I served in the USNavy my friend. The key word being servED, I'm not in the service now and haven't been in 20 years. I AM A FREE MAN. Unfortunately I don't have any property to shoot on here in IN either, our land is in MN. I do have a friend or two with places to shoot though.

GLOCKMAN23C

Resident Dumbass II
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Feb 8, 2009
    S.E. Indy
    I've been to Atterbury several times, and always pick up my brass, sometimes during live fire, sometimes during cease-fire. The last time I was there the person I was next to, gave me (and helped pick up) his brass, with mine. No one ever said a word. I've also stayed after I was done to help pick up. Frank came over and thanked me for sticking around to clean up. I enjoy shooting there; I remember before there was a range officer, dangerous. So I'll put up with them correcting people. But I do agree, he does go overboard sometimes.

wsenefeld

Master
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Boone Co.

What does having been in the military have to do with it? It was much less strict when it was military run. Guess I'll have to find somewhere local or make long trips to the south east corner of the state.

jd4320t

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 20, 2009
    South Putnam County
    Ok guys get back on track. The OP said he was yelled at for picking up brass not for breaking a safety rule. If this is true then Frank needs to be talked to. I've been there enough to see that he and others have to get on people all the time. If that duty leads them to yelling at people for picking up brass then there is a problem.

Top Bottom