• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • LLDJR

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 2, 2009
    Southside/Southport
    I brought a buddy of mine from Florida back on Labor Day weekend to shoot our AR's, and he was blown away at how nice an how organized Atterbury is. I guess outdoor shooting is somewhat limited in the Clearwater, FL area.

One thing he told me stuck out, he said that in Florida where he shoots, they search each shooters bag to make sure they do not shoot re-loads because they are not allowed.

And, my buddy went back home and bought a Colt AR afterwards as a side note.

gopwins

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    I've been to Atterbury several times, and always pick up my brass, sometimes during live fire, sometimes during cease-fire. The last time I was there the person I was next to, gave me (and helped pick up) his brass, with mine. No one ever said a word. I've also stayed after I was done to help pick up. Frank came over and thanked me for sticking around to clean up. I enjoy shooting there; I remember before there was a range officer, dangerous. So I'll put up with them correcting people. But I do agree, he does go overboard sometimes.
    Glockman, I've had the same experience as you. In fact, I scavenge range brass from the piles in front of the bench during cease fire and Frank even chats with me while I'm doing it. He has never had a problem with me scavenging pounds of range brass, as long as I do it at the right time and by the rules. Frank comes down hard on rule breakers, but if you play by the rules, then you're in good shape with him. I kind of like firm rules on a firing line full of strangers with high powered firearms.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    What did they look like? I have been shooting there for some time. I pick up my brass, others, and even go through the buckets. No one says a thing to me. You have to understand one thing. There are a lot of idiots that shoot their that can not follow simple rules. I would probably be bitter as well if I had to deal with morons on a daily basis.

(emphasis mine)

Dealing with the public (esp armed) is a tough gig. Heck it's even soured me on the web ;)

Indy317

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 27, 2008
    I just wonder why we are required to pay to use property we already own in a manner it was safely used in for decades prior.

No different than having to pay to watch a Colts game, a band competition, or anything else at Lucas Oil Stadium. Such is life with this lovely idea of public-private partnerships. As far as the other range being "safely used" for decades, do you have stats to back that up, or are you just going by the fact you never heard anything bad happen? Can you say, with 100% certainty, that an ambulance was never called for an injury caused by the reckless action of a shooter?

I can tell you without a doubt that many safety rules at the old "fire away" Atterbury were broken time and time again. I was there, and a few folks would be pointing the barrels of their gun all over the place. The fact remains there were even safety officers at the old range, those individuals who had the balls to call out idiots. Some guy had his XD or XDm jam at Pop's Guns a year or so ago. Guy pointed the barrel all over the place, because he had no clue what to do in this instance. Just as I was about ready to call him out, two guys on the other side saw and took quick action. That really shows just how bad some people are when it comes to gun safety.

gopwins

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Yesterday there were lots of new shooters at Atterbury, "playing" with their new Christmas "toys." At least once, a newbie shot a chunk out of the concrete roof baffle and Frank yelled at them and even fined them. He also yelled at several people for approaching the shooting benches during cease fire while others of us were down range changing our targets. I am glad Frank yells at people, because I don't need my back ventilated by newbies who don't understand why you need firm rules on a firing line.

Blackduck21

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 11, 2011
    I went to Atterbury a few times when I first moved to Indiana., before I knew better. Now that I belong to a private gun club I would never go back. They run the place like we owe tem something. Aren't my tax dollars paying their salary? How about just a little customer service.

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    I went to Atterbury a few times when I first moved to Indiana., before I knew better. Now that I belong to a private gun club I would never go back. They run the place like we owe tem something. Aren't my tax dollars paying their salary? How about just a little customer service.

I think we agree, some folks are just too dumb to be allowed to shoot at a public range.

Which private gun club did you join?

:ar15:

gopwins

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Actually the range has been under new management for a while and the customer service is excellent now. I agree that it used to be less than great, but the new folks have really raised it up a notch. The prices on reloading powder are very reasonable and they have a good and growing selection.

ThrottleJockey

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Between Greenwood and Martinsville
    Maybe you and "wsenefeld" ought to just start your own range. It could be totally unregulated and no one would do anything to hurt your delicate feelings. And it would create more room at Atterbury for the rest of us! :rolleyes:
    I don't go there, so I'm not wasting your precious space on the cattle line. As I stated, I REFUSE to be treated like a criminal or child. IMO anyone going to a place where the public at large gathers gets just what they deserve no matter what it ends up being. I have NO desire to shoot with people I don't know and can't figure out why anyone would want to. I have my own range and it is completely unregulated, never so much as a splinter or burn even. I can bump fire there, I can shoot FA, set off tannerite, shoot old cars up, whatever I want. In fact the last time I was there I blew up a beaver dam, THAT was fun.

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    In fact, I think the only rule of the new range is the "1 second between shots" rule. I have no idea of my follow-up shot capability with my current center fire rifles!!

So i'm guessing unless you're a precision rifle or bullseye shooter you shouldn't go to Atterbury if you really want to run your firearms!

Darral27

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Aug 13, 2011
    Elwood
    To Pbaker, Is it ever acceptable for your staff to yell at a grown man? Whether the OP is telling the truth or not I have seen many people saying either they have been yelled at or have seen other people being yelled at. I personally have no interest in going to a place that would treat customers in such a way. I also find in amazing that would find it to be ok and even go as far as to defend such a action. If somebody is doing something dangerous by all means get their attention and correct the situation. Yelling at a grown person is not the way to do that.

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    As far as the OP making things up... probably not.

I've been there a few times. The last was with a buddy trying out a new .22. It didn't like some ammo so I was picking it up and taking a look. I got yelled at too so I threw it down and got yelled out for throwing it into the gravel. So I picked it up and threw it into the can and got yelled at again for tossing it into the wrong can. I couldn't win. Am I butt hurt? Eh, a little. Doesn't really matter to me. It just seemed stupid to worry about someone picking up brass surrounding my own shooting area.

GlockZ

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 30, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    The last time I was there Frank yelled at this guy during a seize fire. During the seize fire the guy left his cell phone on the shooting bench. The phone started ringing so he approached the bench to grab it. Frank immediately started screaming over the speaker system. He and the guy yell at each other, then frank tells the guy to leave. The guy goes to get his stuff to leave and he screams at him to not touch his stuff until the seize fire is over. The guy says if you are going to force me to leave then I'm going now. Frank continues yelling as the guy collects his things and leaves.

Also, there are signs that say no holstered weapons? Seriously?!?! After seeing some of the characters shooting I decided to keep my EDC concealed.

Top Bottom