• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    So pretty much everyone that carries out an attack is mentally ill.....
    Not only did I not say that, I've never said it, and don't believe it to be true.

I'll post this again: I think calling a jihadi "crazy" is a pretty bad religious slur..... we don't want to do that.

Well, TBH, I didn't understand the assertion the first time and still don't. I figured it was just an omitted purple thing or something.

Can you explain why you think it a slur, or if there is omitted purple?

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    Not only did I not say that, I've never said it, and don't believe it to be true.

What did you mean then?
    So, yes, there is a mental illness angle to this thread. And just about every attack thread.
    Clarify please.

Well, TBH, I didn't understand the assertion the first time and still don't. I figured it was just an omitted purple thing or something.
    Can you explain why you think it a slur, or if there is omitted purple?

No, no purple.
    Dismissing true believers that carry out these attacks as "mental defectives" is offensive.
    I certainly don't agree with them but they are not "crazy" or "insane".
    The insanity defense does not apply here.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    What did you mean then?

Clarify please.
    Any attack thread - suicide or otherwise - involves an assessment of motive, mental health. That's human nature. Its how most people process things.

The Las Vegas attack, Sandy Hook, the Texas church dude. Those are just off the top of my head.

I most certainly did NOT say that all attackers are crazy.

Dismissing true believers that carry out these attacks as "mental defectives" is offensive.
    Still not tracking.

First, I don't see anyone on INGO dismissing "true believers that carry out these attacks" as "mental defectives." Some are, some may be, some aren't. Each case is a bit different.

Second, even if someone did "dismiss" them as "mental defectives," I'm not following on how that would be offensive.

I certainly don't agree with them but they are not "crazy" or "insane".

I don't think we can make a blanket statement that all/none are.

The insanity defense does not apply here.
    I don't see anyone saying it does.

Brad69

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2016
    Perry county
    The Insurgents that are attacking the western world and reformed Muslim world possess a mentality in years of about 1400 A.D.
    Its not “crazy” it’s devotion to the cause no different than any other actions from the 1400’s.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    The Insurgents that are attacking the western world and reformed Muslim world possess a mentality in years of about 1400 A.D.
    Its not “crazy” it’s devotion to the cause no different than any other actions from the 1400’s.

That is probably true, in most cases.

This guy, according to reports, was triggered by a Christmas ad. In a spot that would've caused few injuries, even on a "best" (for him) case scenario. When all he had to do was get closer to the tracks, where things get crowded, and it would've been much worse.

To me, that seems less "devotion" and more "crazy." With a strong dose of incompetence.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso

This guy, according to reports, was triggered by a Christmas ad. In a spot that would've caused few injuries, even on a "best" (for him) case scenario. When all he had to do was get closer to the tracks, where things get crowded, and it would've been much worse.

To me, that seems less "devotion" and more "crazy." With a strong dose of incompetence.

I was in Times Square 10 days ago. If he really wanted to do damage, I have never been in a more crowded spot than Times Square during the holidays at 7pm on a Saturday (maybe Rockefeller Center at 8pm on a Friday during the holidays). Are we sure he triggered it on purpose where he was and wasn't headed to a more crowded spot when he had a little accident? I know, I know- the picture....but geez, steps from tens of thousands if not a hundred thousand.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    I was in Times Square 10 days ago. If he really wanted to do damage, I have never been in a more crowded spot than Times Square during the holidays at 7pm on a Saturday (maybe Rockefeller Center at 8pm on a Friday during the holidays). Are we sure he triggered it on purpose where he was and wasn't headed to a more crowded spot when he had a little accident? I know, I know- the picture....but geez, steps from tens of thousands if not a hundred thousand.

That's kinda the main question, eh?

Subject to the 24/48 hour rule, it was reported that he intentionally detonated it (or tried) because the Christmas ad made him angry. IF that's true, then to me that leads one direction.

If it turns out that he was on his way somewhere that seems more like a... target rich environment... and it exploded due to his incompetence, then that - to me - leads in a different direction.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    By the standards of most of us here, anyone that wants to strap on a suicide vest and blow people up are all crazy.

Is it?

Or perhaps... Could it be our bias not living in that world and trying to wrap our minds around it?
    How could they be sane rational people and do this?
    Your westerner sculpted brain can't reconcile it. So it gets dismissed as crazy.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Is it?

Or perhaps... Could it be our bias not living in that world and trying to wrap our minds around it?
    Your westerner sculpted brain can't reconcile it. So it gets dismissed as crazy.

My brain is probably sculpted less by the West than yours. ;)

I can absolutely get my head around sacrificing oneself for a larger purpose. Frankly, that's easy. Christianity is littered with martyrs.

So are revolutions.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    I can absolutely get my head around sacrificing oneself for a larger purpose.

The larger purpose of killing in the name of God? I'm not up for that.

I can absolutely get my head around sacrificing oneself for a larger purpose. Frankly, that's easy. Christianity is littered with martyrs.
    So are revolutions.

Let's please stick to the current century.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    So many here may understand that people who genuinely believed that that their people are under attack may resort to suicide attacks then.

Would never happen.....Oh wait....

cb02371b41eb1dc421cae976773998af.jpg

GettyImages-2669226-E.jpeg

Chiran_high_school_girls_wave_kamikaze_pilot.jpg

JAAF-Kamikaze-group.jpg

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Is the suspect still alive?
    Was he charged with anything?

I'm still bugged by that "attempted terrorist attack" thing.
    Maybe it's something the NYC mayor said to minimize the effect of the attack and made it sound like the police arrested the guy before he could act.
    I just hope they don't consider a lesser charge because of that term being used.
    To me if you make a bomb go off and injure people it's a successful attack even if the suspect planned to hurt or kill more people.
    Just like if you rob a bank and only get away with $10 instead of $10 million that's still a bank robbery, not attempted robbery.

Am I missing something?
    Is it only a terrorist attack if you kill someone, like murder vs attempted murder? :dunno:

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    Is it?

Since you quoted me, I will clarify. When I say crazy, as a non-lawyer, I don't mean insane in some legal excuse way. I just mean that that sort of thinking is beyond my way of thinking of normal. I have always said that to me, most people that kill someone else are at least a little bit nuts in my mind. But then, I find a lot of people a little bit nuts.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    By the standards of most of us here, anyone that wants to strap on a suicide vest and blow people up are all crazy.

Since you quoted me, I will clarify. When I say crazy, as a non-lawyer, I don't mean insane in some legal excuse way. I just mean that that sort of thinking is beyond my way of thinking of normal. I have always said that to me, most people that kill someone else are at least a little bit nuts in my mind. But then, I find a lot of people a little bit nuts.

Yes, that is the larger point of trying to wrap our minds around the motivation.... It gets dismissed as nuts by westerners at large because it just doesn't make sense in a modern society.

Top Bottom