• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hkindiana

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 19, 2010
    Southern Hills
    The point is there would be a lot more documented evidence if there were as many cougars as some would have us believe, and as noted in Colorado and California, they also eat people. No one has been attacked here and our population density is much higher than any western state. If there were as many cougars as some like to say, there would be a much greater documentation rate, especially with everyone using cell phone cameras.

Only 27 people TOTAL have been killed by mountain lions in the United States in the last FIFTY YEARS. So, if we have a small population in the Midwest, I doubt that they would be "eating people", let alone attacking or killing anyone. You have a lot more to fear from pet dogs (20-30 deaths in the US per YEAR) and lightning strikes (50 fatalities per YEAR in the US). So, 3750 deaths in the last 50 years from dog bites and lightning versus 27 deaths from cougar attacks.

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    Only 27 people TOTAL have been killed by mountain lions in the United States in the last FIFTY YEARS. So, if we have a small population in the Midwest, I doubt that they would be "eating people", let alone attacking or killing anyone. You have a lot more to fear from pet dogs (20-30 deaths in the US per YEAR) and lightning strikes (50 fatalities per YEAR in the US). So, 3750 deaths in the last 50 years from dog bites and lightning versus 27 deaths from cougar attacks.
    I spoke to the park ranger at red rocks park in Nevada a few years back, he was telling me he had been employed at the park for 16 years, and in that time, had never seen the cats that are known to exist in the park. They are there, and documented, but it’s very rare to actually see one. I do not doubt for a second that mountain lions are roaming southern Indiana, and probably several other areas of the state.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    still dont believe there are mountain lions around here other then a possible escaped animal or pet. everyone has phones anymore yet nobody can get a pic of one? trail cams everywhere, still no real proven pics? as much as people want to say they see them i just dont believe it. i think people mistake bobcats for mountain lions.

There was a confirmed photo a couple years ago from a hunter in a tree stand. And the DNR caught one on trail cams.
    https://www.thenewsdispatch.com/sports/article_92685832-9479-521e-bebf-34ac8db0cf51.html

rhslover

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 6, 2012
    What the DNR does in southern Indiana will boggle the mind almost as much as what they deny doing. Strange things like salting Hoosier National Forest with Timber Rattlers. First they said it was to decrease the turkey population, then they said they didn't do it but no one had better be caught killing any of them...

Then we magically had a Bobcat population. They deny any knowledge of it until a local shoots one with an Indiana DNR tracking collar on it. Their response? They want to bury the local under the jail.

I am not pointing a finger at any individual but at a prevailing mentality, a mentality along the lines of "if you tell a lie more than three times it becomes true..."

Both bobcats and rattlesnakes are completely, 100% native to Indiana. There is no clandestine "black helicopter" salting of the national Forest with either species. I've lived near public lands in many states my whole life and keep hearing this nonsense repeated. It just doesn't make a bit of sense.

JimH

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Both bobcats and rattlesnakes are completely, 100% native to Indiana. There is no clandestine "black helicopter" salting of the national Forest with either species. I've lived near public lands in many states my whole life and keep hearing this nonsense repeated. It just doesn't make a bit of sense.
    100% fact!!!

GlockRock

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    I live within 3 miles of where the horse got attacked. Seen many bobcats around, but never a cougar. None of my trail cams have picked one up either, but if the vet and DNR say it’s a cougar, I kind of believe it.
    Ill probably get more cameras and put up on the farm and hope to catch a picture.

Mongo59

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 30, 2018
    Purgatory

I live north of the Hoosier National forest. We have choppers fly over all the time usually heat scanning for marijuana. It wasn't clandestine, it wasn't black. I could draw you a picture if you like.

The next day there were three write ins to the local paper about rattlers where none had previously been including one at my neighbors mailbox.

The local DNR officer in an interview with a reporter from the paper said they had done it to keep the number of turkey chicks in check. The next day there was an article where the DNR denied anything like this had ever happened.

Granted, none of this makes any sense. But not making sense does not mean it did not happen.

Bobcats are native, but with DNR tracking collars? How did the DNR become aware of this bobcat? Because the shooter is the one who called the DNR.

I am not contesting that these animals did or do live in Indiana. I am confused as to how the conflicting reports from the DNR would come to be, thus the first sentence of my statement.

Or I could have just said, "I wish the DNR would learn to lie more convincingly..."

Hoosier Carry

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2012
    In the Woods

Snakes on a Helicopter // starring Samuel L Jackson

rhslover

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 6, 2012
    I live north of the Hoosier National forest. We have choppers fly over all the time usually heat scanning for marijuana. It wasn't clandestine, it wasn't black. I could draw you a picture if you like.

The next day there were three write ins to the local paper about rattlers where none had previously been including one at my neighbors mailbox.

The local DNR officer in an interview with a reporter from the paper said they had done it to keep the number of turkey chicks in check. The next day there was an article where the DNR denied anything like this had ever happened.

Granted, none of this makes any sense. But not making sense does not mean it did not happen.

Bobcats are native, but with DNR tracking collars? How did the DNR become aware of this bobcat? Because the shooter is the one who called the DNR.

I am not contesting that these animals did or do live in Indiana. I am confused as to how the conflicting reports from the DNR would come to be, thus the first sentence of my statement.

Or I could have just said, "I wish the DNR would learn to lie more convincingly..."

So, please, if you would include a source for that interview in the local paper. That'd be great. Let me ask, did they attach parachutes to the rattlesnakes? Maybe you could draw me a picture.

Mongo59

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 30, 2018
    Purgatory
    I humbly bow to your sarcasm. The fallacy of thought that prevails in your posts self proclaims your omnipotence. My meager, deluded life experiences would have no value in your wise self centeredness. Please accept my apology.

These few keystrokes are all I will offer someone who insists on inferring I am a liar. You go looking for it. I won't spend a moment to try and educate someone who would obviously blow off anything presented to your disliking.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    2 which were most likely escapees or released pets like i said

They've been spotted in lower peninsula MI, Kentucky, two have been killed in recent years in IL. One of the ones in IL was DNA traced to wild cougars farther west. That's a lot of released/escapees. There have also been reports of them at Crane navel base. I don't believe we have a large population, and quite possibly not a breeding one even. But...

edwea

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Jan 25, 2015
    New Dolan
    The problem I have with the "escaped" theory is that there don't seem to be any other species escaping. Also Occam's razor would suggest that they are simply regaining lost territory.

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees

Lot's of people in here with pretty strong opinions. :)

If I ever kill one on my property in Owen County, I'll be sure to post it here first. In the meantime, I will continue to carry whenever I am out there. When it gets dark, you just can't see anything but hear everything. Cats don't make noise.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    I always think it's funny people assume that if we "really" had cougars, then you'd see them around. Doesn't work that way.

Not only are their population densities always low (compared to, say, prey animals), but they're also nocturnal/crepuscular and generally sneaky (i.e. good at not being seen). They're around.

"The population density of cougars is always fairly low, as is tends to be for all large predators. Cougars are solitary animals and strongly territorial, with home ranges of 30 to 100's of square km. Home ranges of males can be as large as 1000 square kilometres, females' ranges are usually much smaller. Home ranges of both sexes will vary greatly with the availability of prey." [1]

"Habitat fragmentation, degradation, lack of connectivity and cultural intolerance of mountain lions even on prime habitat makes it difficult to use habitat density to extrapolate and calculate populations on a large scale. This means we just don't have good estimates of mountain lion numbers in the United States. Nor do we know precisely what population levels are required in order to maintain genetically healthy subpopulations..." [2]

"The cougar is territorial and survives at low population densities." [3]

[1] - Biology of Cougars (Puma concolor) in Manitoba.
    [2] - https://mountainlion.org/us/-us-population.asp
    [3] - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cougar

Top Bottom