• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    Lot's of people in here with pretty strong opinions. :)

If I ever kill one on my property in Owen County, I'll be sure to post it here first. In the meantime, I will continue to carry whenever I am out there. When it gets dark, you just can't see anything but hear everything. Cats don't make noise.

Just remember to yell "It's coming right at us" before you shoot. They are a protected species in IN.

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    Is this the cougar thread? I'm here to help. :)

Capture.jpg

Capture.jpg

Capture.jpg

10mmMarc

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 16, 2015
    Greenwood
    Just remember to yell "It's coming right at us" before you shoot. They are a protected species in IN.

Bobcats are protected, but can you show any documentation that cougars or mountain lions are protected , or bears for that matter , there is nothing in the regs about them as far as I can see.

edwea

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Jan 25, 2015
    New Dolan
    Bobcats are protected, but can you show any documentation that cougars or mountain lions are protected , or bears for that matter , there is nothing in the regs about them as far as I can see.

LEGAL STATUS
    The mountain lion in Indiana is protected as an exotic mammal. State law allows a resident landowner or tenant to kill a mountain lion while it is causing damage to property owned or leased by the landowner or tenant. If the landowner/tenant wishes to have someone else kill the mountain lion, that person must get a permit from the DNR Division of Fish & Wildlife. Any mountain lion killed should be immediately reported to a DNR wildlife biologist or Central Dispatch of Law Enforcement.

...Taken from dnr site. While not specifically stated, I'm sure self preservation would qualify as well.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009

For mountain lions and bears other than black bears see.
    312 IAC 9-3-18.5 Exotic mammals
    Authority: IC 14-22-2-6; IC 14-22-32-6
    Affected: IC 14-8-2-278; IC 14-22-20; IC 15-17-5
    Sec. 18.5. (a) An individual must not take, as defined by IC 14-8-2-278, an exotic mammal that is a species from any of the
    following families of mammals:
    (1) Bradypodidae (tree sloth).
    (2) Camelidae (camel and llama).
    (3) Canidae (jackal, wild dog, and other exotic foxes).
    (4) Cebidae (marmoset).
    (5) Cercopithecidae (baboon and monkey).
    (6) Dasypodidae (armadillo).
    (7) Elephantidae (elephant).
    (8) Equidae (wild horse and zebra), except for domestic horses.
    (9) Felidae (mountain lion, lynx, tiger, and other exotic cats).
    (10) Giraffidae (giraffe and okapi).
    (11) Hippopotamidae (hippopotamus).
    (12) Hyaenidae (hyaena).
    (13) Macropodidae (kangaroo and wallaby).
    (14) Myrmecophagidae (anteater).
    (15) Orycteropodidae (aardvark).
    (16) Pongidae (chimpanzee, bonobo, and gorilla).
    (17) Procaviidae (hyrax).
    (18) Protelidae (aardwolf).
    (19) Rhinocerotidae (rhinoceros).
    (20) Tapiridae (tapir).
    (21) Tragulidae (chevrotain).
    (22) Ursidae (bear), except for black bears.
    (23) A hybrid or genetically altered mammal of any of these families.
    Exempted from this section are the following species of mammals that are not considered to be exotic mammals: bobcat, red fox,
    gray fox, and coyote.

For black bears.
    312 IAC 9-3-18.8 Black bears
    Authority: IC 14-22-2-6
    Affected: IC 14-22
    Sec. 18.8. (a) A person must not take a black bear (Ursus americanus) except with one (1) of the following:
    (1) A scientific purposes license issued under 312 IAC 9-10-6.
    (2) A nuisance wild animal control permit issued under 312 IAC 9-10-11.
    (b) A person must not possess a live black bear except with one (1) of the following:
    (1) A wild animal possession permit issued under 312 IAC 9-11.
    (2) A wild animal rehabilitation permit issued under 312 IAC 9-10-9.
    (3) A scientific purposes license issued under 312 IAC 9-10-6.
    (4) A nuisance wild animal control permit issued under 312 IAC 9-10-11.
    (5) A registered or licensed educational or scientific institution with the United States Department of Agriculture in
    accordance with 9 CFR, Chapter 1, Subchapter A, Parts I through IV.
    (6) A breeder or dealer license issued by the United States Department of Agriculture under 9 CFR, Chapter 1, Subchapter
    A, Parts I through IV.
    (c) A person must not sell a live black bear unless that person has a breeder or dealer license issued by the United States
    Department of Agriculture under 9 CFR, Chapter 1, Subchapter A, Parts I through IV.
    (d) A person must not release a black bear into the wild.

For the definition of take.
    IC 14-8-2-278 "Take"
    Sec. 278. "Take" has the following meaning:
    (1) For purposes of IC 14-22, except as provided in subdivisions (2) and (3):
    (A) to kill, shoot, spear, gig, catch, trap, harm, harass, or pursue a wild animal; or
    (B) to attempt to engage in such conduct.
    The DNR issued the horse owner a permit to kill it.
    That is one of the exceptions.
    (1) taken by a resident landowner or tenant while destroying or causing substantial damage to property that is owned or
    leased by the landowner or tenant;
    (2) a species from the family camelidae and slaughtered in accordance with IC 15-17-5; or
    (3) an animal that has escaped from captivity into the wild and is a known immediate threat to:
    (A) public safety; or
    (B) the health of wild animals

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    For mountain lions and bears other than black bears see.

For black bears.

For the definition of take.

That is one of the exceptions.
    (1) taken by a resident landowner or tenant while destroying or causing substantial damage to property that is owned or
    leased by the landowner or tenant;
    (2) a species from the family camelidae and slaughtered in accordance with IC 15-17-5; or
    (3) an animal that has escaped from captivity into the wild and is a known immediate threat to:
    (A) public safety; or
    (B) the health of wild animals

Well damn. There go my plans for a combined tree sloth and hippopotamus hunt. :(

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    Well damn. There go my plans for a combined tree sloth and hippopotamus hunt. :(

It's probably for the best, hippos are not to be trifled with, though the meat is supposedly very good and might be worth the effort. Brings a whole new meaning to filling the freezer(s)!:D

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Lot's of people in here with pretty strong opinions. :)

If I ever kill one on my property in Owen County, I'll be sure to post it here first. In the meantime, I will continue to carry whenever I am out there. When it gets dark, you just can't see anything but hear everything. Cats don't make noise.

Chicken :ingo:

But seriously, I go into the woods completely unarmed a lot.....overnight, etc... here as well as out West where there’s actually confirmed mountain lions. They don’t mess with adult healthy humans unless they’re sick or have a lack of food.

And that handgun isn’t going to do you any good if a mountain lion decides to hunt you. You’d be dead before you drew.

I have no doubts they’ve seen me. I have never seen one in IN, though.

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Also, forgot to add.....about night time predators like big cats.....anything that could possibly eat a human around the US has eyes that light up with a flashlight. As long as you have a light, you’re fine in the dark.

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    And that handgun isn’t going to do you any good if a mountain lion decides to hunt you. You’d be dead before you drew.

Not true. Several stories out there of people surviving mountain lion attacks. I like my chances with a handgun better than my chances without.

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    Not true. Several stories out there of people surviving mountain lion attacks. I like my chances with a handgun better than my chances without.

Yes, mountain lion attacks are often stopped by the victim fighting back and that is first bit of advice given in case of an attack. Mountain lions are not fast killers either, it takes a surprising amount of time for them to bring down their prey, especially when the prey is the size of an adult male. It is also untrue that they only attack adults when sick or hungry. In areas where they are not hunted and have little to no fear of humans, we are nothing more than slow moving, easy targets when the opportunity presents itself.

ART338WM

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 2, 2013
    Chicken :ingo:

But seriously, I go into the woods completely unarmed a lot.....overnight, etc... here as well as out West where there’s actually confirmed mountain lions. They don’t mess with adult healthy humans unless they’re sick or have a lack of food.

I have no doubts they’ve seen me. I have never seen one in IN, though.

I'm sure that is comforting information to the two mountain bikers the same lion grabbed and killed off the same trail on the same day in CA a few years ago. I'm not say
    Mt lions or any large preditore is a blood thirst killer out for human flesh, because I well know they aren't. But I am of the written in stone belief praying that I die
    never having needed my HG then be sent to my death wishing I had it.
    Unless I have absolutely no choice, I NEVER go anywhere now without at least some form of weapon and if I can it's a HG. I base this belief on past unpleasant
    experiences I was fortunate enough to have emerged unharmed, but much the wiser.
    Granted the incident I describe above is the ONLY one of it's kind on record in the U.S., but as I said it is of little consolation to the deceased.

Top Bottom