• ...and so much more!
  • bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Here’s the thing. To effect any new rules takes a lot of time and effort. In this no rule/rules can cover everything as people are very creative at times. You have no idea how creative.
    As the rules stand it is easy to run the forum. The staff has full support of the admin. In making decisions based on how some things effect the place and may not be covered under a specific rule.

I am just not sure what changes we could make to fix anything that is going on. The site exists to attract new members and support existing ones. If you stand back and look the classifieds is a huge draw.

It's no secret that I'm fond of INGO and the staff, but this has been a problem for a long time. The classifieds section has gone the way that was predicted. I try not to go overboard with my negative commentary on the classifieds rules to participate to avoid...
    ...:horse:.

Once a year or so, when the topic comes up again, I'll put in my same :twocents: that I have every year for going on ten years. IMHO, the classifieds rules to participate should have much stronger forum participation requirements.

A requirement for six months time on the forum combined with 250 quality posts and NO buy-in would solve these problems.

Eventually the classifieds section would move back to mostly contributing forum members, with names recognizable and a post history other than totally "WTS."

I would contend that INGO overall would be a much bigger draw without the separation of the majority of the classifieds users from the contributing forum members.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    It's no secret that I'm fond of INGO and the staff, but this has been a problem for a long time. The classifieds section has gone the way that was predicted. I try not to go overboard with my negative commentary on the classifieds rules to participate to avoid...

Once a year or so, when the topic comes up again, I'll put in my same :twocents: that I have every year for going on ten years. IMHO, the classifieds rules to participate should have much stronger forum participation requirements.

A requirement for six months time on the forum combined with 250 quality posts and NO buy-in would solve these problems.

Eventually the classifieds section would move back to mostly contributing forum members, with names recognizable and a post history other than totally "WTS."

I would contend that INGO overall would be a much bigger draw without the separation of the majority of the classifieds users from the contributing forum members.

Noted.

So the revenue generated from the buy ins is moot. I have no idea what the figures are but in a world that is dollars driven the site owners are most likely not going to give that up. In my mind anyone that is a regular posting member could pony up a $20 and support the site but the reality of this is obvious.

Again, it is a business driven world. Ingo is now owned by folks that are in business. Fenway did us a huge favor choosing these people as the new stewards of Ingo.
    They are by all accounts good people. The alternatives would have ruined this place. In that we have this package. It works. Like you I miss some of what was. Actually a lot of what was. But here we are.

mmpsteve

Real CZ's have a long barrel!!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 14, 2016
    ..... formerly near the Wild Turkey
    I spent the $20 x 2, to support the site because I enjoy it. I may have visited the classifieds once or twice, and never saw anything I couldn't live without. Seriously, there are better places to buy stuff, but nowhere I've found to enjoy the political banter, etc ... with generally like-minded people.

deo62

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 8, 2009
    Peru

After the six months free trial-no classifieds-make it mandatory $20 site fee. Just thinking out loud.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    I came here hoping to enjoy the circus.

Every year when we have this discussion I agree with the make people not only contribute $20, but also join the community crowd.

When I joined (free) I had no idea that there was a classified section, or any intention of buying or selling through internet contact. I could not understand what people were getting mad about, got clipped and neg repped into oblivion. Thanks to BOR for removing the neg rep. May be I should have read the :rules:, maybe some day I will.

I was a free member for a couple of years and had at least 1000 posts and decided to support the site because it is the right thing. I have yet to buy anything from the classifieds. I look at the WTS occasionally just to see how over priced the shiny things are.

MRockwell

Just Me
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Noblesfield
    Well, since we're on the bent of beatin' that dead-damn mare, I'll pull out my 'ol Stanley 55-136 and get some good licks in myself!

It is what it is. Life's always gonna have those that will seek to captilize on that which they deem most important...the almighty dollar. We seen it over and again, after every media tragedy, they's out there lookin' to make a buck. Then when the dust settles, they's still there trying to get a nut. Don't matter what it is, they gotta put it out there for sale for top dollar.

Then there's the young'ns, that just came into the fray. They get run rough-shod and beat upside the head just cause they don't know no better. OOOH, We got us a runner! granted, over half it turns out is true. Yet some of those young'ns get run over quite good, and get the notion to never come back.

And what good does that do for the rest of us?

I never came here to buy somebody's stuff. I wanted to gain some knowledge. I hope that is the case for the vast majority of those that find INGO. And to do my part, I pony up for the $20 every year. And by gummit, I had a dern tootin' good time helping out at Winamac with NWI INGO. Hell, I even dragged my wife along!

Alright, the 'ol Stanley is plenty worn in, Think it's time to stop swingin'.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Guess I should probably take time to read the rules because I have no idea what the 50 post rule is...lol

This.....:)
    We want to welcome you to INGO. We also want to take this opportunity to ask you to read the FAQ which can be found in my signature below. It's pointed out in great detail why we have the 50 post rule because to the newcomer it can seem like an obscure rule for us to want to enforce. In order to participate in the classifieds, you must contribute to the forum by either 1) content in the form of 50 quality posts (not one liners) or 2) financially by becoming a site supporter. That information can be found here: https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/site_s..._are_here.html

Please remember, we are a forum first and then a place for classifieds. There is a plethora of information available here and that's what keeps people here and what allows us to have a classifieds section.

Thanks!

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Well, since we're on the bent of beatin' that dead-damn mare, I'll pull out my 'ol Stanley 55-136 and get some good licks in myself!

It is what it is. Life's always gonna have those that will seek to captilize on that which they deem most important...the almighty dollar. We seen it over and again, after every media tragedy, they's out there lookin' to make a buck. Then when the dust settles, they's still there trying to get a nut. Don't matter what it is, they gotta put it out there for sale for top dollar.

Then there's the young'ns, that just came into the fray. They get run rough-shod and beat upside the head just cause they don't know no better. OOOH, We got us a runner! granted, over half it turns out is true. Yet some of those young'ns get run over quite good, and get the notion to never come back.

And what good does that do for the rest of us?

I never came here to buy somebody's stuff. I wanted to gain some knowledge. I hope that is the case for the vast majority of those that find INGO. And to do my part, I pony up for the $20 every year. And by gummit, I had a dern tootin' good time helping out at Winamac with NWI INGO. Hell, I even dragged my wife along!

Alright, the 'ol Stanley is plenty worn in, Think it's time to stop swingin'.

Bingo.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    70580981-720px.jpg
    9k=
    magpies

The list goes on and on (cats are sly, pigs are greedy, elephants never forget…). However, perhaps one of the most prominent stereotypes is that magpies (Pica pica) like shiny objects. Generally, individuals believe that the birds steal things that glitter or shine and bring them back to decorate their nests.Aug 28, 2014

So here is a name for those that come just for the shiny things.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Noted.

So the revenue generated from the buy ins is moot. I have no idea what the figures are but in a world that is dollars driven the site owners are most likely not going to give that up. In my mind anyone that is a regular posting member could pony up a $20 and support the site but the reality of this is obvious.

Again, it is a business driven world. Ingo is now owned by folks that are in business. Fenway did us a huge favor choosing these people as the new stewards of Ingo.
    They are by all accounts good people. The alternatives would have ruined this place. In that we have this package. It works. Like you I miss some of what was. Actually a lot of what was. But here we are.

Many thanks to the admin and all of the staff! :ingo:

I'm not knocking anyone. Including the flippers, pro-traders and others hanging out in our classifieds that are often less than INGO social, with no site accountability. They are just following (and working) the rules as given.

What I am suggesting is that there are better ways to generate site support than a one time charge for classifieds access. A practice that over time has shown to create a less than good approval of our classifieds section from a lot INGO members.

Example:

... I may have visited the classifieds once or twice, and never saw anything I couldn't live without. Seriously, there are better places to buy stuff...

It didn't used to be this way...

:ingo:

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Many thanks to the admin and all of the staff! :ingo:

I'm not knocking anyone. Including the flippers, pro-traders and others hanging out in our classifieds that are often less than INGO social, with no site accountability. They are just following (and working) the rules as given.

What I am suggesting is that there are better ways to generate site support than a one time charge for classifieds access. A practice that over time has shown to create a less than good approval of our classifieds section from a lot INGO members.

Example:

It didn't used to be this way...

:ingo:

As to the last sentence......I totally agree. Will it ever be that way again.............I will consult my magic 8 ball

Top Bottom