• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • haldir

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2008
    Goshen
    I thought it terribly humorous a few weeks ago seeing someone padding their post count. They were greeting members that had joined months earlier.:laugh:

Hope that wasn't me. Every couple days I will go through and welcome any that I missed. So if someone else welcomed someone in that time frame I may welcome them again even though the OP was pretty old.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    As a general rule, I try to welcome everyone. But, if I miss someone by 24hrs I won't go back that far. And I always start by welcoming the last person, and working my way back to the most recent person, so the posts stay in order.

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    I thought it terribly humorous a few weeks ago seeing someone padding their post count. They were greeting members that had joined months earlier.:laugh:

Good move on the classifieds. I think the welcomes should be the same. It would make the welcomes sincere.
    Padding there account by saying :welcome: to every member who ever posted in the welcome forum lol. Personally post count means nearly 0 to me.I like the rep system though. :popcorn:

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Hope that wasn't me. Every couple days I will go through and welcome any that I missed. So if someone else welcomed someone in that time frame I may welcome them again even though the OP was pretty old.
    I don't think it was you, but sure enough, there were 2 or 3 more.

dice dealer

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 8, 2008
    Harrison county
    :nono:
    I honestly feel it's being a bit pickey ....sounding like the anti-gun people WE ALL preach against ...
    OK we are going to BAN your post count cause you only post in classified .
    Now we are thinking about BANNING your post count because you WELCOME to many people ...
    What next ?

you can only get a post count with a vote from 4 moderators ?

I don't mean to offend any moderators , I like this forum more than any i belong to , But what good exactly is the post count good for ?
    Is it going to get me or anyone else a prize at the end of the year ?

I just think its kinda being a bit childish and Very un adult

Again my appologies to any moderator if this post make you angry that is not my intent ...

:ugh:

end rant :twocents:

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    We're trying to balance people post-whoring just to access the classifieds against what works best for the general member base. We have a post threshold because we really want to get to know you before you start buying and selling (and it greatly reduces spammers). We're not Gunbroker or Craigslist. The classifieds are supposed to be a side-benefit to contributing members. What frequently happens is that someone will sign up, post ten worthless "Hello" posts and then immediately post their trinket for sale.

Does it sound childish to try to work out what's best? I don't think so. There's no magic formula for a successful forum, so we have to constantly tweak it and try new things. It may very well be that this change doesn't work, so we'll change it back or try something different.

dice dealer

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 8, 2008
    Harrison county
    I understand why the forum moderators are doing this and as i said Not trying to anger anyone , And i have seen a few on here in the short time i have been a member , that are less the UPSTANDING members .
    The moderators that run this forum do a good job , as stated this is my favorite forum of any that i have seen or belong to .

But IMHO a ban (in any form ) , is a ban is a ban is a ban ...:twocents:

Bigum1969

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    SW Indiana
    Well, I guess I'll throw in my two cents. I have yet to buy and/or sell anything in the classifieds section, but I generally agree with not counting posts in that section.

As far as the "Hello" posts, I think not counting those would be a mistake. I try to welcome new members as a courtesy, but I don't usually post more than a "Hello" unless I have something in common like general location in the state. If they don't count, I'll still welcome new members, but I feel we should all be encouraged to welcome new members. Not everyone that joins this forum is an experienced firearm enthusiast. I certainly am not. The friendly nature of this forum is what makes it special, IMHO.

As far as post count, there are 1,000, 2,000, 4,000 etc. post clubs. Obviously there is good natured competition to join these clubs. I see that as a GOOD thing.

Thanks to everyone, especially Fenway, for this great forum. I also applaud you for working to make tweaks to make sure it stays a great forum as it grows. But, some things don't need to be changed, IMHO.

You guys have done a great job creating this online community, and I'll be happy to support whatever decisions are made. I just wanted to share my thoughts.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    We're trying to balance people post-whoring just to access the classifieds against what works best for the general member base. We have a post threshold because we really want to get to know you before you start buying and selling (and it greatly reduces spammers). We're not Gunbroker or Craigslist. The classifieds are supposed to be a side-benefit to contributing members. What frequently happens is that someone will sign up, post ten worthless "Hello" posts and then immediately post their trinket for sale.

Does it sound childish to try to work out what's best? I don't think so. There's no magic formula for a successful forum, so we have to constantly tweak it and try new things. It may very well be that this change doesn't work, so we'll change it back or try something different.
    Kudos to you and the rest of the management. Tough decisions, but you are addressing them!

I personally am not enthused about a ton of rulez. Still I'm concerned about someone scooping up a good deal that I, or other members, could have had, just to resell here or somewhere else.

dice dealer

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 8, 2008
    Harrison county
    I guess BAN may not be the word for it and i have no problem with not counting post in the classified .

But no sooner than you turned it off people are already calling to turn the welcome section off for post counts .. then whats next ?

I used the word BAN for lack of a better word Maybe i should have used sensorship?

Chefcook

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Raccoon City
    I generally post the welcome sign to say hello to new members. I don't know if that counts towards my post count or not. And to be honest I don't care either way. I could go out of my way and make 1000 posts if that was my reason for being here. It doesn't matter if you have 5 posts or 5000 . If that's how you evaluate yourself by the number of posts you have then well lol more power to ya. To me its commical the sillyness people go to so they can feel good about themselves. I haven't a clue how many posts I have, nor to me does that carry weight.. silly rabbits...

Crystalship1

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 4, 2008
    Oaklandon, IN.
    I used the word BAN for lack of a better word Maybe i should have used sensorship?

Well now you've done it!!!! Now someone is going to feel obligated to praise Fenway, his mods., God, and John Wayne followed by the invocation of the classic; "Well..... this is Fenway's forum and he can do what he likes" line!!! ;)

AllenM

Diamond Collision Inc. Avon.
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon
    If the number of posts is the only reason you would welcome a new member then I think you are missing the point. Does it always have to be about whats in it for me?
    Why not just focusing on a community of people with simalier interests. Same goes for the rep dots, fun but to much emphasis can be placed on this by product of fellowshipping with other supporters of 2A.

I say let the post count and rep points add up or not and remeber why you joined in the first palce.
    Personally I like removing the post count from the classifieds from a pride point as hey now I can say I contribute something to the board other than buying and selling but still goes back to pride and wanting to get self recognition for being "special"
    The people that post only in classified serve a purpose here as well.
    Everyone has a roll I think.

Bubbajms

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Sep 3, 2008
    Delphi, IN
    I have a general question (one that I never really paid attention to before)

I know that folks with less than 10 posts aren't allowed to post things in the classified ad section - I've seen a handful of folks who posted regularly in the BST area that now have less than 10 posts. Is the forum software setup in such a way that they won't be able to post there, until they've participated in other aspects of the forum overall?

Is there any other forum feature that's not accessible to those with a low post count?

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    I have a general question (one that I never really paid attention to before)

I know that folks with less than 10 posts aren't allowed to post things in the classified ad section - I've seen a handful of folks who posted regularly in the BST area that now have less than 10 posts. Is the forum software setup in such a way that they won't be able to post there, until they've participated in other aspects of the forum overall?

Is there any other forum feature that's not accessible to those with a low post count?

Yep. They'll have to actually contribute to the forum.

Under 10 posts also cannot PM regular members (but anyone can always PM a mod).

MACHINEGUN

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 16, 2008
    Du Mhan Yhu
    I'm not really to concerned about post count, but obviously my rep here is important.

Just like in the real world... I want to get along with others, be a team player and hope people like me for who I am.

Top Bottom