• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Furthermore, I can visit a sampling of his/her posts to see what kind of person they seem to be (imperfect but better than nothing).

Oh....crap. I'm in trouble.

Now, if there was a dual system: # of posts and # of successful sales then maybe the post count would count less. But as for now, I use what I have in front of me kinda like a reference system.

:twocents:

Don't forget we have the feedback forum. You can always do a search there before buying. That's what it's there for!

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Oh....crap. I'm in trouble.
    Don't forget we have the feedback forum. You can always do a search there before buying. That's what it's there for!

You make good points, but heres the thing. The feedback forum is not databased for reasons of PITA. I cannot easily call up NateIU and see he has +23 and -0.

But there is more to it than that. The feedback tells me who is a good dealer. The post count tells me who is "family" or a "member". Sure that might also mean "no real life" or "bored and living in parent's basement", but still it means a connection greater than "wheels & deals". And while that may have no real bearing on how good they are at a FTF transaction, it means something about connection and importance of this forum to them. A dealer might not really care about a -1, but someone with connection here might be more inclined to avoid a -1 situation since this place means something to them.

I mean, who wants to be all alone in their mom's basement?! (just kidding)

Feign

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 28, 2008
    Columbus-ish
    There is iTrader for feedback.

I'd say just hide the post count in the postbit. On every other forum, "you are not your post count." It's all about how you post (e.g. rep).

Thumper

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2009
    South Indy
    I agree that post counts are not important.Thank god it stopped me from
    selling the fs2000.This summer i'm sure alot of you that have not met me
    yet will see me at the range.Keep up the good work.:yesway:

Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 7, 2008
    Greenfield
    I find the post count to be a bit of a double standard or delimma for me. I understand techres and the utilization of the information you have, and I do the same to a certain extent. The issue I face is that I don't have a lot of time to spend on the computer responding to posts (busy time of year for business and young family), and I refuse to post one-liners to increase post count. I also wait to post if until I have what I think is relevant or worth while information or jump in if it is a subject that I am particularly interested in. An hour or two a week is all I get if I am lucky, but that leading to a low post count doesn't mean I feel less of a "part of the INGO family" nor does it mean that I can't successfully complete a transaction, as all I have been involved with have occured flawlessly. I do worry that folks won't take me as serious though, so needless to say....I am a bit torn over the issue. Just my $.02.

Top Bottom