• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rob377

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    DT
    (even though I never post anything productive, only dickish comments, I'll make an exception this once :): )

Practiscore is a new system that's improving every day. Here are some best practices I've come across doing scores for ACC. If other stats guys would like to chime in with tips/tricks they've figured out, please do!

1. Before Match day, import your EZwin database into your Practiscore Master device. On Match day morning, having that database already in the device will autocomplete most of the information you need. E.g. Type in “SIM” in last name, and a pop up will display showing “Simmons, Robert” and then that person’s USPSA number will autopopulate, saving time and making the registration guy/gals life much easier. See page 21 et seq. here https://www.practiscore.com/files/PractiScoreManual.pdf

2. The registrar needs to double check only 5 fields in the device: last name, first name, USPSA number, division and power factor. If those are right, it is impossible for anything to get screwed up and will ensure the classifications get updated and classifier scores get applied properly.

3. Register everyone in a master kindle, then sync slave devices. This will make sure that if someone changes squads at the last minute, it is easy to move an entry from one squad to another.
    4. At the end of the matches, sync each slave device to the master device. Once that’s done, step 5

5. Before posting results, update classifications. There is no reason scores should be posted with everyone as “U”. It is so easy to update them.
    a. With an active internet connection, go to Sync>Update Classifications. Once the update file downloads, practiscore will ask “Would you like to also like to update the shooters in the current match”? – select YES. Now all of your shooters will have their correct and most current classification. 3 clicks, that’s all it takes.

6. Before posting results, go to “Enter Scores,” look at the stage scored line (e.g. “46/46 shooters scored” line under each stage title) If you don’t have 46/46 or 82/82 or whatever your turnout was, find out why. No one likes missing scores.

7. When posting results, posting to practiscore.com is the easiest, fastest, and most useful format for preliminaries.
    a. Easy – (with active internet connection) Go to match results> Post to Practiscore.com, DONE. That’s it, 2 clicks.
    b. Fastest – using this method, results can be up in under 5 minutes from last shot fired.
    c. Most useful – unlike posting screenshots or pdfs, posting the full result file per (a) allows competitors to see overall and each stage to review hits and times and whatnot.

8. Provide backup sheets for individual shooters to use at their discretion, if they want a hard copy. I've got an Excel generic sheet that allows shooters to record A/B/C/D/M/NS/Procedural/time an RO initials. It's attached here as pdf.

View attachment 27843

Last edited:

romack991

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 27, 2012
    I've used it on my phone during some mock practices. It's been a bit since I made it down to ACC so I haven't seen them used in a match. Couple questions.
    I assume you are using the kindle fires? I looked at the E-Readers and it doesn't appear the E-Readers use Android.
    How are the Fires for viewing in the sunlight? Have you used them in the rain yet?
    Does it require a WiFi router and/or internet connection to sync them or can they connect to themselves.

Rob377

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    DT
    I've used it on my phone during some mock practices. It's been a bit since I made it down to ACC so I haven't seen them used in a match. Couple questions.
    I assume you are using the kindle fires? I looked at the E-Readers and it doesn't appear the E-Readers use Android.
    How are the Fires for viewing in the sunlight? Have you used them in the rain yet?
    Does it require a WiFi router and/or internet connection to sync them or can they connect to themselves.

We're using the fire HD. The screen is higher resolution, so you don't have to scroll as much. The nook e-reader devices can be rooted to run Practiscore. They nicer in the sun, but the screen is kinda low res, so the score guy has to scroll and the e-ink screens don't refresh as fast as LCD.

With the brightness cranked up, the fire HDs do OK in the sun. Not perfect , but usable. As for rain, we do same thing as with paper and keep under the awnings we just put in. Before that, we'd have ez-up canopies.

Syncing the devices together requires a WiFi network. Just for syncing, it doesn't need internet connection though. Last year, I just fired up the personal hotspot feature on my iPhone and used that, or the Wi-Fi network app on my laptop worked too. The IDPA MD recently donated a nice router. Last match I had it in our barn, so all the front bays had coverage. With that, we can back up every few minutes, and have almost real-time live scores. At our next match, I may try updating to practiscore,com after every stage so people with the app can take advantage of the almost live scoring.

ETA: the virtual router app for the laptop is this one - https://virtualrouter.codeplex.com/
    It allows you to use the laptop like a router.

Last edited:

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    we're thinking of going this route at Ft Wayne. We're going to try it out at some practice sessions w/ personal phones/tablets before we invest in club tablets. One question I have that I haven't seen addressed anywhere: how do-able is this w/o wi-fi on the range? If I don't have a laptop or phone that than be used as a wireless router, is it work-able accross multiple tablets?

What about blue-tooth? I saw something in the practiscore documentation (I think that's where I saw it) about sync'ing with bluetooth? That would probably limit the tablets we could choose from. Or is it better to also invest in a router, also?

I know it's more of a pain w/o the ability to sync (you'd have to basically create the stages/registration in each tablet manually), but can you do it and just sync later (when I get home)?

I've just been playing around w/ the software at home. Looking forward to trying it for real. It seems it would make life SO much easier for the guy on the clipboard (no more adding, no more pens that dont work, etc...). I hated the palms, but this looks 100x better.

-rvb

Last edited:

Rob377

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    DT
    The bluetooth thing is a good question - I haven't tried.

As far as wi-fi, it really, really, really, really makes things easier. You don't need wi-fi coverage in the bays, but having it in the registration area before the match starts would make for less work. Fortunately, portable routers are super cheap these days, so if one didn't want to use their phone or a laptop to create an ad hoc network on site, one of those little travel routers would work really well for syncing stages and registration down to the slave devices. I've seen them for $20-30, and they'd easily be worth it in convenience. It's not necessary that the wi-fi network have internet access to sync. Just to get the most recent classification update file and post scores.

The other method would be to build the stages in the master device at home, sync the stages at least to the slave devices, and then do registration on each device on the morning of the match. The trouble there is that if someone switches squads, or has to shoot through for some reason, then that person has to be re-entered into their new squad's device. With master registration synced down, the change is as simple as hitting "Move Shooter to this squad" or " Add Shoot through" and selecting their name from the master list.

It really does make things so much easier for the scorekeeper. It adds up the hits for you. It won't let you save without a time. If you enter too many hits on a target, it tells you. If you don't have enough, it tells you. Almost all of those major issues that made doing 70+ paper scoresheets on Sunday afternoon a PITA are impossible. They've just about made it fool-proof against the VERY common paper scoring mistakes.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    The bluetooth thing is a good question - I haven't tried.

As far as wi-fi, it really, really, really, really makes things easier. ...one of those little travel routers would work really well for syncing stages and registration down to the slave devices.

That's what I expected to hear. I may just pick up one of those inexpensive routers as it seems like the hassle created by not having it just isn't worth it.

The other method would be to build the stages in the master device at home, sync the stages at least to the slave devices, and then do registration on each device on the morning of the match. The trouble there is that if someone switches squads, or has to shoot through for some reason, then that person has to be re-entered into their new squad's device. With master registration synced down, the change is as simple as hitting "Move Shooter to this squad" or " Add Shoot through" and selecting their name from the master list.

I hadn't thought about squad switch-ups. Just entering the shooters multiple times seemed like a lot of hassle. Good point.

It really does make things so much easier for the scorekeeper. It adds up the hits for you. It won't let you save without a time. If you enter too many hits on a target, it tells you. If you don't have enough, it tells you. Almost all of those major issues that made doing 70+ paper scoresheets on Sunday afternoon a PITA are impossible. They've just about made it fool-proof against the VERY common paper scoring mistakes.

From messing around with it at home, that's my impression. The luddite clipboard folks may gripe, but it appears SO much easier. I know the same was said about the palms, but I hated that tool....

-rvb

Last edited:

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    Two other questions...

1) rain. Not all our bays have cover/awnings. My thought is some tape over any openings (memory card slots, speakers, etc) does wonders. And I would think most of these tablets work ok in a zip-lock bag... any general rain/tablet experiences here from the group?

2) storage/charging. Since your tablets are used by both uspsa and idpa clubs at your range, I assume you leave them at the range? I have a couple of concerns... First I'm concerned about temperatures since our barn can get 130 in the summer and -20 in the winter. Second I'm concernd someone else in the shed will need the electric for something else and they won't get plugged back in to charge and we show up sunday morning and they are dead. Third (minor) concern is theft. I'm thinking I'll probably take the tablets/router home and bring them back each month. What are other clubs doing? How are the batteries in the tablets holding up after a couple yrs being stored in range sheds?

-rvb

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    If a router would allow them to upload/backup scores in real time or at least periodically, I would be a lot more comfy with the idea. I don't trust data to any single electronic device for very long.

It would be cool if they all backed-up the data from each other continually. Then if one or several go belly-up, nothing is lost but some time.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    If a router would allow them to upload/backup scores in real time or at least periodically, I would be a lot more comfy with the idea. I don't trust data to any single electronic device for very long.

It would be cool if they all backed-up the data from each other continually. Then if one or several go belly-up, nothing is lost but some time.

from what I was reading in the practiscore docs online, it sounds like they can be backed up into each other. maybe not real time but periodically. Is that right, Rob?

I know I've seen paper scoresheets lost over the years, too.....

-rvb

Rob377

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    DT

I agree backup is good. Since we've started at ACC, I make it a point to periodically walk around and pull data to the master device. If you've seen me show up on your bay hanging back with my face buried in a tablet, that's what I was doing. I had to get close for the other squad's tablets to connect to the iphone hotspot. Now that we have a real router, I can back up Bay 5s data from Bay 1.

Dog1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Feb 15, 2010
    Clark County, Indiana
    What we do at Sliver Creek is that we have a stand alone portable wifi router. We use that to sync the Kindles after a match, then I use my phone's hotspot to hook up my laptop and the master Kindle. I email the match results, run them through EZWinscore and upload them to USPSA.

The stand alone wifi router is only used for the Kindles to talk to each other.

It's now taking us about an hour to sync the Kindles, double check for any mistakes, run them through EZwinscore and upload them.

smith52

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Kosciusko County
    I have to say, we have used practiscore some this winter during practice sessions and have used it at ACC last year. I really like it, after Rob walked me through the kindle it was very easy.

Rob377

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    DT
    So you walk around during the match and sync up to the master from time to time?

Yes. At least I did when we were just using the iphone hotspot. Now that we plug the router in in the barn, I don't have to walk anywhere.

Top Bottom