• ...and so much more!
  • jakemartens

Master
    Rating - 96.1%
    99   4   0
    Aug 30, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    Simple fact is that after this year EZwinscore is going to be gone
    Practiscore is going to be the ONLY way to Score a match and send in your activity

It is built and designed to be used on Andriod/Ipad devices

As I understand it, after EZwin goes away you are going to have to download the practiscore and you will have to print scoresheets, and then manually enter them if you choose not to update to a hand held scoring device

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    Looks like nook nst's are < 1/2 cost of the fire HD's. I think that is going to make our decision for us. I was hoping to avoid messing with rooting, but I guess i'll have to deal with it. Any other suggestions? We don't have a big budget; I'm hoping we can do 4 tablets for <$300.

-rvb

Rob377

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    DT
    Looks like nook nst's are < 1/2 cost of the fire HD's. I think that is going to make our decision for us. I was hoping to avoid messing with rooting, but I guess i'll have to deal with it. Any other suggestions? We don't have a big budget; I'm hoping we can do 4 tablets for <$300.

-rvb

I think that's what they used down at Rockcastle. They worked well enough. The delay to scroll while scoring kinda sucks, but for readability in bright sunlight and battery life, the NST can't be beat.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    6. Before posting results, go to “Enter Scores,” look at the stage scored line (e.g. “46/46 shooters scored” line under each stage title) If you don’t have 46/46 or 82/82 or whatever your turnout was, find out why. No one likes missing scores.

This seems to be an especially important step. I've been playing w/ this at home (trying to break the system and be ready for any unusual issues), and I've discovered sometimes a sync to the master doesn't get ALL the scores on the first try. This seems especially true if shooter information has changed (specifically: someone gets DQd). It will pull the shooter information update (the DQ), but not get the scores update. A second sync always gets the scores, and at no time have scores been lost. But if you don't check, scores could have been posted w/ some missing...

Before posting results, update classifications. There is no reason scores should be posted with everyone as “U”. It is so easy to update them.

For some reason this took like 30 minutes on the nook. It took 1/2 second on my ipad.

If other stats guys would like to chime in with tips/tricks

I'll also add I've found it VERY helpful to have meaningful device names and to put that name on a label on the tablet. This way if I have multiple devices on the network, I can very quickly know which device I am syncing to, make sure the Master is where I build the stages and sync the squad tablets to/from, etc. For instance, I named the Ft Wayne tablets FWAPS-MASTER, FWAPS01, FWAPS02, etc. While the software doesn't care which tablet is the master, it makes the data management much easier to know where everything is getting sync'd to/from.

-rvb

Friction

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 21, 2014
    Terre Haute
    So we learned today that PS isn't setup for Steel using .22 rifles and pistols since the categories only specific Optics or Irons.

Is there any way to manually create a new classes in the system? Some folks have posted on forums that they manually create a USPSA match with stages consisting of 5 strings to replicate the scoring of SC and then delete the slowest but that seems like a long process and one that easy to screw up.

Rob377

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    DT
    So we learned today that PS isn't setup for Steel using .22 rifles and pistols since the categories only specific Optics or Irons.

Is there any way to manually create a new classes in the system? Some folks have posted on forums that they manually create a USPSA match with stages consisting of 5 strings to replicate the scoring of SC and then delete the slowest but that seems like a long process and one that easy to screw up.

Yes, you can add divisions in Edit Shooters/Squads > Edit Divisions (down at bottom on Android device)

And there shouldn't be a need to create a USPSA stage when PS supports steel challenge format matches. When you set up the stages, you specify the number of strings and it automatically throws the worst out.

practscoresteelchallenge_zps29e4a109.png

Friction

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 21, 2014
    Terre Haute
    Thanks Rob,

The USPSA route seemed needlessly over complicated but we are just learning the system so trying sort thorugh it. That's why I asked.

Last edited:

Rob377

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    DT
    Thanks Rob,

The USPSA route seemed needless over complicated but we are just learning the system so trying sort thorugh it. That's why I asked.

I think that was how some people did it in the early versions that hadn't incorporated Steel Challenge support. Thankfully, the developers added it and that nonsense isn't necessary anymore.

Rob377

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    DT
    This was posted elsewhere, but is a useful addition to this thread.

The scores are up at USPSA but everyone is showing up as Unclassified.

The EZWIN export file doesn't contain classification data (as of Android version 1.2.15), so when the reg.txt file get imported into EZWIN, everyone shows up as U when you upload to USPSA, but not on practiscore.com

The fix for the time being is to update classifications with most recent classification update file in EZWIN before uploading the webfile to USPSA.org.

romack991

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 27, 2012
    Just found out a handy way of deleting scores due to errors or reshoots. If you tap the target number on the left side of the screen, it will delete the whole row. A lot faster than pressing and holding each scored box.

Rob377

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    DT
    Today, I found out that sync gets broken when updating to 1.2.17 (android)

However, if you uninstall it, and then do a clean reinstall, it'll work again. It also add a neat feature that allows you to see the battery level of the other devices on the sync screen.

Rob377

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    DT
    Another thought - I'd mentioned this to RVB and Brent up at Ft. Wayne last weekend: would the other stats guys like a compiled database, so that when a guy/gal who has shot at some other club shows up to yours for the first time, his/her info can already be in your system?

BJones

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Aug 26, 2009
    Noblesville/Westfld
    Just found out a handy way of deleting scores due to errors or reshoots. If you tap the target number on the left side of the screen, it will delete the whole row. A lot faster than pressing and holding each scored box.

That was a handy piece of information, I used it several times at ACC sunday. Thanks for posting it.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    Discovered that if you include a fixed-time course, the over-time penalties will NOT get included when you import the scores into EZWin. Until a fix is released you either a) enter the penalties by hand in EZWin after you import scores or b) just use practiscore as the final match results.
    (some might just say the "best practice" is to avoid fixed-time! :evilangel:)

Also note that DQs (and I think DNFs) are not transfered to EZWin, so you have to manually set those as well.

-rvb

Last edited:

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    A helpful addition to the software would be a way to transfer scores from one stage to another because they were entered into the wrong stage.

Rob377

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    DT
    Or you could just check the name of the stage, just like you'd do with paper scoring.

Reminding people of this might be a best practice though. It happened more than a few times that I've seen back in the paper days, so it's not an uncommon mistake.

Top Bottom