• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Thegeek

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Even Eagle Creek range had rounds "escape". I shoot at Atturbury often, and I don't think a round could escape (never laid prone though). That's the kind of features these ranges need to have. But, that level of construction on a 500ft (goole map measurement) rifle range is cost prohibitive. It doesn't matter how high they build the berm, some derp will send a round over it. Arresting those rounds is the key.

hog slayer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2015
    Camp Lejeune, NC
    Well, what's the cost for the range to fix their problem? Don't we have some carpenters (for the baffles and the fence that they need to build) and some Operating Engineers who could give us a price on moving dirt and building stuff?

Once the range has the cost, start a fund raising website or have gun raffles to pay the costs.

There's just too much Inshallah in the gun culture. Time to fix this.

Agreed! Get the gun lovers to put up or shut up. I'm all for helping where and when I can. As my grand pappy always said "he's got a strong back, and a weak mind"
    :D

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Well, what's the cost for the range to fix their problem? Don't we have some carpenters (for the baffles and the fence that they need to build) and some Operating Engineers who could give us a price on moving dirt and building stuff?

Once the range has the cost, start a fund raising website or have gun raffles to pay the costs.

There's just too much Inshallah in the gun culture. Time to fix this.

I think the good folks at Precision Gun Range would benefit greatly from a Kirk Freeman gun range safety consult. :ingo:

CavMedic

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 20, 2012
    Plainfield
    Hand out some memberships or something like that and I bet you would have plenty of hands on deck to do the labor to get the berms built. We are a community right?

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    Just saw the report on Fox 59.

The berm seemed shockingly low and does not have a fence on top.

I do not understand the Inshallah approach to firearms safety that you see on INGO and the real world but I understand it is extremely popular because not many have been shot.

I hope the range buys a clue, a bulldozer and a carpenter and is able to defeat the derp which it has developed.

Given how cheap it is to build a near fortress out of Hesco Barriers, there's really no excuse.

Especially considering the risks of NOT having done so.

I gotta wonder how this guy's insurance let this slide??

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Given how cheap it is to build a near fortress out of Hesco Barriers, there's really no excuse.

Especially considering the risks of NOT having done so.

I gotta wonder how this guy's insurance let this slide??

Good question. You would think there would be an adult jerking some reality into them.

But, too often in the gun culture, we see the "meye rye-eets" b.s. blind people to reality and instead of bulldozers and carpenters we get "it's meye prop-per-tee, i kin do wut I want, meye rye-eets!"

How many threads on INGO did we have where INGOers argued that they could slime their neighborhood or endanger others because of their rights? Dozens upon dozens?

You cannot use your property to harm others. Rights have duties. Get this solved.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    So you'll be paying them a visit?

I'm sure they'll appreciate it. These folks have good intentions, but haven't been in the gun range business long.

Thank you! :ingo:

https://www.precisiongunrange.net/

Won't be visiting, but I tell ya what, if they have a fundraiser, they can count on me buying raffle tickets for the rifle, pistol, shotgun they raffle off or participate in the bacon sale or whatever method they use to raise the cash, so they can hire the carpenter(s) and the OE who will move the dirt for them (build it thrice as tall as you need, then double it as a litigation factor).

I will like the gun(s) that they raffle off, but I will want them in a different caliber.

As my dad says, if you have problems that can be fixed with money, you don't have problems.

Dewidmt

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 27, 2008
    South of the Muscatatuck
    Gosh, it's just sooo nice to be insulted multiple times by the great and all powerful Kirk Freeman. Also insinuating that I'm part of a Muslim brotherhood. Sounds as if someone is just as opinionated as I but can get by with it as long as they have thousands of posts!

I am greatly humbled by your obvious expert analysis of all things gun related Kirk! You are a legend in your own mind!

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Once again, people who are morons build a house downrange from a gun range and whine about guns and stray rounds. Kinda like the folks who build next to an airport and then complain about the noise. And we're supposed to feel sorry for their stupidity......

When I lived in Tucson, AZ, we had a really nice range on the Northeast side of the city. Range had been there for 50 years. City expanded, grew around the range and suddenly there were cries of "bullets hitting our houses!", "the range makes too much noise!", "there is a school within half a mile! (recently built)". The city eventually closed the range because of all the complaints. These folks knew what was around when they built their dream house. Im tired of all these dimwits.

(Just went back through to orient myself to exactly how offensive Kirk was and just noticed this gem)

Wait, so you are saying it is normal and expected for rounds to leave your range? Seriously? Then why even have a berm if they are supposed to continue downrange?

Sorry, but downrange of a shooting lane in regards to stray bullets is in no way equivalent airplane noise. (But I will agree with you on the noise issue) So if you think the rounds should legitimately land there, why dont you also own that property so they can land harmlessly where you imply they should be falling normally, although seldom?

Dewidmt

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 27, 2008
    South of the Muscatatuck
    Not at all normal...backstop should stop bullets. But stray rounds DO occur. I would think before buying property in the neighborhood of a range, one might consider the possibility and study up on whether this is happening or not.

Do you think that the folks that built this home even thought about that for a moment?

I am lucky. I have my own property to shoot on with safe backstops and plenty of room. I chose the property with just those considerations in mind. I certainly DID consider my neighbors and where they might be firing also when I purchased it (we all shoot a lot down here in the sticks).

My point is that many people don't stop to consider the consequences of their actions and then blame others for their problems. My complaint with Kirk (if it could be called a complaint), is his "holier than thou" attitude toward safety. Me, I'm just as safe, I don't make it a point to hound others about theirs unless it impacts mine. Lumping a bunch of INGO'ers under a subtitle of "Inshallah Derphad" just reeks of an attitude of "I'm better than you, so my opinion matters more".

As to the range itself, I wish them the best in this modern culture of sue everyone for everything all the time.

Semi-rant over.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Not at all normal...backstop should stop bullets. But stray rounds DO occur. I would think before buying property in the neighborhood of a range, one might consider the possibility and study up on whether this is happening or not.

Do you think that the folks that built this home even thought about that for a moment?

I am lucky. I have my own property to shoot on with safe backstops and plenty of room. I chose the property with just those considerations in mind. I certainly DID consider my neighbors and where they might be firing also when I purchased it (we all shoot a lot down here in the sticks).

My point is that many people don't stop to consider the consequences of their actions and then blame others for their problems. My complaint with Kirk (if it could be called a complaint), is his "holier than thou" attitude toward safety. Me, I'm just as safe, I don't make it a point to hound others about theirs unless it impacts mine. Lumping a bunch of INGO'ers under a subtitle of "Inshallah Derphad" just reeks of an attitude of "I'm better than you, so my opinion matters more".

As to the range itself, I wish them the best in this modern culture of sue everyone for everything all the time.

Semi-rant over.

So wait. Are you a PGR owner or not? If not, why are you butthurt about the Inshallah comment if it wasnt directed at you? I'm so confused. (nothing new)

Dewidmt

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 27, 2008
    South of the Muscatatuck
    "stop the Inshallah Derphad of the gun culture". With this comment, he paints all of us in a negative light. And no, I have no dog in the PGR fight.

But I assume (maybe incorrectly) that neither Kirk nor Cameramonkey have any financial interest in PGR either, yet their comments hold greater sway than mine?

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Nope. My comments are worth the energy it took to transmit them to the server. (hint: not much)

It was just that Kirk called out PGR, yet you took DIRECT offense: "Also insinuating that I'm part of a Muslim brotherhood. " (emphasis added) That is why I was confused.

And no, I dont think they considered falling bullets. Because bullets are not supposed to leave the range. I would hope they considered the noise though.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    THIS. If you cant afford to elevate the berm, go to Lowes for lumber and make some overhead baffles to obscure the sky from the bench. Make it so its not possible to send a round over the berm unimpeded. (and hopefully stop it totally)

EDIT: Kinda like this (If you can see sky over the berm from the bench, the baffles arent low enough)

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-YWgqoHldm...adMJdYWw/s1600/club+member+ready+to+shoot.jpg

That's what I was thinking when i saw the berm. Here is Kingsbury DNR. It is LOUD though.
    maxresdefault.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

I shoot at home mostly so I don't have a lot of formal range experience--these are good ideas. The few ranges where I have shot didn't have these. I can see how they'd help keep rounds lower and more in control.

singlesix

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, In
    Debatin' is fun! LOL
    OK let's debate (I hope all comments are taken in this light and no personal offense is meant or offered). I take your position to be: If a buy a house in the flight path of airport and a wheel falls off the plane and hits my house it's my fault because I built/bought a house in the flight path. Oh well stuff falls off planes deal with it. Now if I ***** about the noise, well my fault not the airport. Noise is Business As Usual for a airport, falling parts not BAU.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Seyboldbryan
    Top Bottom