• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • miguel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Oct 24, 2008
    16T
    When I drive down Cumberland Rd. in Hamilton County, south of 206th, I think of HCF&G (whose range is perpendicular to Cumberland Rd. and a short distance to the west) and hope they are aiming small and missing small.

So far, so good. :laugh:

Dewidmt

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 27, 2008
    South of the Muscatatuck
    Singlesix, you nailed it! If I bought a house in the flight path of an airport (which I wouldn't because I would have done my research and known things like this could happen) I might expect falling planes and parts. Also noise. People buy insurance for a reason, including house insurance.

Most people won't put the time and effort into looking at something from all angles, judging potential problems and making an informed decision. Large organizations have a Risk Management department that does nothing but figure out potential problems and how to avert them. Your average Joe nowadays would rather run headlong into something and blame someone else when an accident occurs or a problem arises. I took tornadoes into account when I moved back to Indiana. The risk of a storm hitting my home is minor in the long run compared to the property prices and the living conditions.

The people that build a house downrange from a gun club need to do some risk management and evaluate their situation and the risks they want to take as opposed to the price or convenience of the location.
    These folks did not. And if things don't go their way I would imagine they will sue or bring litigation, shut down the club, etc. Seems to be the way of the modern world. Nothing is my fault it's always someone else that is the problem.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    There's just too much Inshallah in the gun culture.

But their new album is pretty good...

Untitled-1.jpg

bb37

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    North of US40
    Where has it been reported that the range was there before the houses were built?

I agree that if you build a house near a shooting range, you are ignoring the possibility that a round might escape the confines of the range.

However, if you build a range near existing houses and you don't work with the jurisdiction having authority to get your proposed land use approved and you don't take every precaution in the construction of your range to make sure that a round doesn't escape the range, you may be exposing your neighbors to dangers that they didn't buy into when they bought their houses. In other words, you, the range owner, created the problem therefore you, the range owner, have to fix it.

That said, if the houses in question are on Hardscrabble Road south of the range, they appear to be about 900-1000 yards from the range's berm.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Gosh, it's just sooo nice to be insulted multiple times by the great and all powerful Kirk Freeman. Also insinuating that I'm part of a Muslim brotherhood. Sounds as if someone is just as opinionated as I but can get by with it as long as they have thousands of posts!

I am greatly humbled by your obvious expert analysis of all things gun related Kirk! You are a legend in your own mind!

I have never met Kirk but I have read his posts for nigh on 6 years...I can tell you this...

Kirk will call out bad behavior...Kirk is intense but earnest...Kirk has the best interests of gun owners and their safety in mind always...Kirk WILL put his money and effort where his mouth is...Kirk understands that firearms are essentially small explosive devices we raise up to our faces and hope all goes well...Kirk understands that even if ALL FOUR RULES are obeyed there is no guarantee of safety...Guns (and small explosions) by their very nature can be a little tricky...

It's a numbers game and Kirk knows that....In his posts he reminds us of that...If you have not ever been offended by Kirk then you're just not posting enough....

I on occasion, often while bored, twirl a six shooter on my finger...I have the beginnings of "Celtic claw" or "Viking Hand" (Curse you Norseman who raped my G-G-G-G-G-G-G- Granny!!!!!) where my two middle fingers are starting to curl in and this exercise seems to help, quite a bit actually...(the weight of the sixgun stretches the stringy material causing the fingers to curl in....)Now I KNOW the gun is unloaded...I KNOW it's a single action and can not be fired unless cocked...

But it doesn't matter...It's not safe...

The difference between myself and Kirk is not that I think he's wrong and I am right....I would never argue with him on my finger twirling my Uberti SAA clone....He would be right and I would be wrong....I just don't get butt hurt over it....

These folks need to get the range fixed up...It doesn't matter when the folks built their houses...If one operates a range and bullets are leaving that range with a mind of their own that probably needs to be fixed...Kirk has a funny sense of humor....You see his words about the Muslim Brotherhood and take offense...I see his words about the Muslim Brotherhood and think "Now 'ats some funny **** right there...make it sink in with a grin legal eagle..."

Kirk's humor is like Dennis Miller on speed..It's an acquired taste but once you see the wink and the nod it's not as painful as it first seems...

Okay..I'm done...How far south of the Muscatatuck are you????? I used to trap up there and have seen the ghost of the coonhunter that roams the river bottoms in about 1985 IIRC.....

Last edited:

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I have never met Kirk but I have read his posts for nigh on 6 years...I can tell you this...

Kirk will call out bad behavior...Kirk is intense but earnest...Kirk has the best interests of gun owners and their safety in mind always...Kirk WILL put his money and effort where his mouth is...Kirk understands that firearms are essentially small explosive devices we raise up to our faces and hope all goes well...Kirk understands that even if ALL FOUR RULES are obeyed there is no guarantee of safety...Guns (and small explosions) by their very nature can be a little tricky...

It's a numbers game and Kirk knows that....In his posts he reminds us of that...If you have not ever been offended by Kirk then you're just not posting enough....

I on occasion, often while bored, twirl a six shooter on my finger...I have the beginnings of "Celtic claw" or "Viking Hand" (Curse you Norseman who raped my G-G-G-G-G-G-G- Granny!!!!!) where my two middle fingers are starting to curl in and this exercise seems to help, quite a bit actually...(the weight of the sixgun stretches the stringy material causing the fingers to curl in....)Now I KNOW the gun is unloaded...I KNOW it's a single action and can not be fired unless cocked...

But it doesn't matter...It's not safe...

The difference between myself and Kirk is not that I think he's wrong and I am right....I would never argue with him on my finger twirling my Uberti SAA clone....He would be right and I would be wrong....I just don't get butt hurt over it....

These folks need to get the range fixed up...It doesn't matter when the folks built their houses...If one operates a range and bullets are leaving that range with a mind of their own that probably needs to be fixed...Kirk has a funny sense of humor....You see his words about the Muslim Brotherhood and take offense...I see his words about the Muslim Brotherhood and think "Now 'ats some funny **** right there...make it sink in with a grin legal eagle..."

Kirk's humor is like Dennis Miller on speed..It's an acquired taste but once you see the wink and the nod it's not as painful as it first seems...

Okay..I'm done...How far south of the Muscatatuck are you????? I used to trap up there and have seen the ghost of the coonhunter that roams the river bottoms in about 1985 IIRC.....

I have met Kirk. He is intense and believes in what he does in relation to gun ownership.
    Do I agree with everything he posts. :dunno: but that works both ways.

This is a touchy subject as it revolves around safety and personal responsibilities.

Let's let cooler heads prevail in the thread.

Please.

Ericpwp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jan 14, 2011
    NWI
    I did not read that in his post
    I doubt any gun enthusiast is "OK" with that.

Once again, people who are morons build a house downrange from a gun range and whine about guns and stray rounds. Kinda like the folks who build next to an airport and then complain about the noise. And we're supposed to feel sorry for their stupidity......
    People buy insurance for a reason, including house insurance.
    Noise is one thing, stray bullets are another. Insurance will not bring back a life.

Gun enthusiast need to protect gun ownership, stray bullets do not help the cause.

Thegeek

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Indianapolis
    I agree that if you build a house near a shooting range, you are ignoring the possibility that a round might escape the confines of the range.
    That's a matter of assumption, not ignorance. You would appear to assume that rounds are going to escape from time to time. I would assume that a range operated for commercial purposes would have taken proper precautions to prevent it from occurring in the first place.

What you do on your property is your responsibility to make sure says on your property. Especially when what leaves your property has potentially lethal effects.

BGDave

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    207   0   0
    Sep 15, 2011
    Beech Grove
    As a gun owner, I think it behooves all of us to act in a manner above reproach. The NRA is available to help with range layouts and saftey. I believe that if I was the range owner in question, involving a range layout expert would be one of my first actions. I don't know poop about berms heights, but that picture looks like it's a little short for comfort.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I have met Kirk. He is intense and believes in what he does in relation to gun ownership.
    Do I agree with everything he posts. :dunno: but that works both ways.

This is a touchy subject as it revolves around safety and personal responsibilities.

Let's let cooler heads prevail in the thread.

Please.
    Not aimed at you my friend just agreeing with how you describe Kirk.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I know brother...

Wife told me I have to quit being mean to you about your age...She caught me ribbing you yesterday about being old and gave me a "cease and desist" order lol....She really took a shine to you.....

Baby's and stray dogs all seem to take a shine to me.

Tell her I am cool about the age thing. If someone can smile about that then my job here is done.

mstagg

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 31, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Once again, people who are morons build a house downrange from a gun range and whine about guns and stray rounds. Kinda like the folks who build next to an airport and then complain about the noise. And we're supposed to feel sorry for their stupidity......

When I lived in Tucson, AZ, we had a really nice range on the Northeast side of the city. Range had been there for 50 years. City expanded, grew around the range and suddenly there were cries of "bullets hitting our houses!", "the range makes too much noise!", "there is a school within half a mile! (recently built)". The city eventually closed the range because of all the complaints. These folks knew what was around when they built their dream house. Im tired of all these dimwits.
    I get what you are saying, but people have a reasonable expectation of safety when buying property and living there. If you have a gun range, you should have made accommodations to prevent bullets from leaving your property(backstop, wall, etc) or you should have enough property that a bullet cant travel far enough to impact places where people live. This assuming they aren't letting people shoot at high angles/into the air, etc.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    In all of this there seems to be some firing line safety issues.
    How are these rounds getting over the berm regardless. What are these people shooting at. Is there an RO on staff.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    I could make a pretty good argument for strict liability for damage caused by bullets that leave a range. That means no proof of negligence is necessary.

While there is always the possibility that a bullet could leave a range (anything is possible), the homeowners should not have to accept that as the norm. If these bullets are from the range, the range either needs to fix it or shut down.

Top Bottom