• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • garlic_b

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Bloomington
    You have thousands of rounds of your preferred ammo.
    You have your BOB fully loaded.
    You have your 500 gallon water tank.
    You have all the equipment a person might ever need.
    You've even read every book on being prepared for every disaster.

My question, what are you doing to prepare your actual body? Or how do you prepare for "Zombieland" Rule #1? Cardio!

To get things started. I've been going to the Gym nearly everyday the last two weeks. I start with 25 minutes on the treadmill. Followed by 40 minutes on weights. Then Stretching. I'm nearly 35 y.o., 205 pounds, 6'4" My weight has dropped maybe 3-5 pounds, but more importantly I have more energy and I feel less fat.

These last two I think are really important. More energy/Less Fat.

So What do you guys (and gals) do? I'd like this to become a popular thread. And encourage everyone to get away from the computer a little and exercise. How long can you outrun zombies?

Lucas156

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 20, 2009
    Greenwood
    I do a bicycle ride nearly every day 20 minutes to an hour. Thats the most exercise I get besides walking my dog. O and also I quit smoking about two weeks ago. Exercising is a lot easier and a lot more enjoyable :D

Last edited:

Gamez235

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Mar 24, 2009
    Upstate
    I've dropped 18 pounds since mid June.. I've cut my alcohol intake drastically, stopped eating fast food, and exercise daily. Usually a run Tues and Thurs in the morning, one day is a longer run at a steady pace and the other is a short run as fast as I can. In the evening daily I go to the gym and get my kickboxing, boxing, jiu jitsu, or strength conditioning on..

I have been slacking on the range, but now that I have Wednesday off I can make that time up..

I always tell people that no matter how much you stash, or prepare, if your body is in it too, you're not gonna make it.

Being prepared is a 360 type thing.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    Cardio and general fitness training is part of my daily routine. I consider it the most important prep as it mitigates one of the higher risks of SHTF, personal major illness. And if there's a SHTF that affects more than me or TEOTWAWKI then I'm better off there too. Physical fitness and skills training and education are the three most important preps a survivalist can make. Everything else is just storing stuff or networking.

kwatters

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 26, 2009
    Central Indiana
    Cardio and general fitness training is part of my daily routine. I consider it the most important prep as it mitigates one of the higher risks of SHTF, personal major illness. And if there's a SHTF that affects more than me or TEOTWAWKI then I'm better off there too. Physical fitness and skills training and education are the three most important preps a survivalist can make. Everything else is just storing stuff or networking.

:+1:

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    In addition to exercise:

Stay up on your health exams; physicals, dental, vision, etc.

Have any potentially helpful elective surgery (that you've been putting off) done (ex. hernia, lasik, etc.) before you can't get it done and are stuck with the physical liability.

Maintain a healthy diet and weight.

Don't underestimate brushing and flossing regularly (and other routine health habits). ;)

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 7, 2010
    (INDY-BRipple)
    Nothing, absolutely squat-zip.

Do I recommend, HECK NO. Humans were not made to be lazy.

Due to an injury and full time Fathering, Im split on time.

However, in my day, busting out 700 situps, 700 Push ups and more than 160 pull up's (1 set equals 25 reps), Standing Military press, bench press, squats, cleans, full veterical push up's, sit ups, single handed pull up's were not uncommon.

For the run, I usually did 1-2 miles daily, and one 6 mile run, weighted (20lb) in boots.

I stand 5'10 - 5'11, @ 210lb give or take, with around 25% bodyfat, despite being over 40lb plus over my height to weight.

Unless there is an injury, the body can endure. It's the mental aspect which will kill you faster than the physical challenge of surviving the SHTF situation.

For this I meditate, self hypnosis. One must train ones brain - THAT IS THE KEY.

I'd rather be completely in the suck physically, and be sharp mentally, than reverse, just some food for thought brothers.

Working out doesnt hurt, but if your really concerned about living afterwards, I'd seek methods of securing illnesses, wounds etc when NO EMT, Doctor is going to come see you - That is where MILLIONS will fall short.

clt46910

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Akron Indiana
    Bottle of whiskey a day, twelve cheese burgers and grocery bag of French fries a day, thousand rounds a day practicing with my guns, and twelve trained dogs will either let me survive or my dogs will last a little longer then I do.

On the serious side, keep yourself in shape, keep your teeth in good condition, and if you need it, do the lasik. That being said being mentally prepared will get you farther then someone that is not.

Ogre

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Nothing, absolutely squat-zip.

Do I recommend, HECK NO. Humans were not made to be lazy.
    Huh? you don't recommend regular exsercise, but we weren't meant to be lazy?

Due to an injury and full time Fathering, Im split on time.
    No excuse for giving up regular exercise. Plus the benefits of getting your child/children involved is an added bonus.

However, in my day, busting out 700 situps, 700 Push ups and more than 160 pull up's (1 set equals 25 reps), Standing Military press, bench press, squats, cleans, full veterical push up's, sit ups, single handed pull up's were not uncommon.
    Wow, I hope you're not suggesting this was a daily routine... So you would do 28 sets of 25 reps of situps, and 28 sets of 25 reps pushups and 6.4 sets of 25 reps of pull ups? then do a workout with weights, then throw in some vertical push ups, more situps, and splash of single handed pull ups to top it off?
    :whistle::bs:
    For the run, I usually did 1-2 miles daily, and one 6 mile run, weighted (20lb) in boots.
    What did you use to add 10lbs of weight to your boots?

I stand 5'10 - 5'11, @ 210lb give or take, with around 25% bodyfat, despite being over 40lb plus over my height to weight.

Unless there is an injury, the body can endure. It's the mental aspect which will kill you faster than the physical challenge of surviving the SHTF situation.
    However, you are more likely to get injured if you are out of shape... 2oz. of prevention is worth a pound of cure. Not to mention the fact that physical exhaustion and overexertion will take a an unavoidable toll on your mental faculties.

For this I meditate, self hypnosis. One must train ones brain - THAT IS THE KEY.
    No comment on meditation or self hypnosis, but I agree that attempting to train your brain to handle adverse situations is good.

I'd rather be completely in the suck physically, and be sharp mentally, than reverse, just some food for thought brothers.
    Again, you are more likely to get injured if you are out of shape... 2oz. of prevention is worth a pound of cure. Not to mention the fact that physical exhaustion and overexertion will take a an unavoidable toll on your mental faculties.

Working out doesnt hurt, but if your really concerned about living afterwards, I'd seek methods of securing illnesses, wounds etc when NO EMT, Doctor is going to come see you - That is where MILLIONS will fall short.
    Probably so.
    .:)

Last edited:

colt45er

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 6, 2008
    Avon, IN
    You have thousands of rounds of your preferred ammo.
    You have your BOB fully loaded.
    You have your 500 gallon water tank.
    You have all the equipment a person might ever need.
    You've even read every book on being prepared for every disaster.

My question, what are you doing to prepare your actual body? Or how do you prepare for "Zombieland" Rule #1? Cardio!

To get things started. I've been going to the Gym nearly everyday the last two weeks. I start with 25 minutes on the treadmill. Followed by 40 minutes on weights. Then Stretching. I'm nearly 35 y.o., 205 pounds, 6'4" My weight has dropped maybe 3-5 pounds, but more importantly I have more energy and I feel less fat.

These last two I think are really important. More energy/Less Fat.

So What do you guys (and gals) do? I'd like this to become a popular thread. And encourage everyone to get away from the computer a little and exercise. How long can you outrun zombies?

I am not the best example since getting a desk job and going back to school online...really sucks up the time in the day to workout...I do some but not like I should.

I do however know a few things about how to work out and what does work. In my prime was about 5'10" ish 185 with less than 6% bodyfat. Not huge, but very solid.

Start with the workout and hit the treadmill last....Its ok to jump on there ot get the blood flowing, but nothing more than a few min. Also, if you get a good circuit rutine it will double as some cardio as well. You can keep the heart pounding the whole time, then jump on the tread mill for the actual cardio.

If you do the cardio first, you will loose a lot of strengh on the weights and not be as effective.

garlic_b

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Bloomington
    I am not the best example since getting a desk job and going back to school online...really sucks up the time in the day to workout...I do some but not like I should.

I do however know a few things about how to work out and what does work. In my prime was about 5'10" ish 185 with less than 6% bodyfat. Not huge, but very solid.

Start with the workout and hit the treadmill last....Its ok to jump on there ot get the blood flowing, but nothing more than a few min. Also, if you get a good circuit rutine it will double as some cardio as well. You can keep the heart pounding the whole time, then jump on the tread mill for the actual cardio.

If you do the cardio first, you will loose a lot of strengh on the weights and not be as effective.

Thanks for the tip, I'll try reversing it.

bmmonts76

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2010
    Indy
    I'm glad you started this thread. I think this is completely overlooked by a lot of people. Hopefully this thread can get some INGO members motivated to do better things to their bodies. This county is entirely overweight, and I'm guessing the INGO has its share of overweight people as well. I can talk from experience on losing weight. 4 year ago I had my body fat % read at NIFS in what is called a BodPod. The BodPod is the most accurate way to get a reading next to water submersion. I was at 30% body fat. That's clinically obese for a man. I couldn't believe it. It happens without even realizing it. Last year was the last time I did the BodPod and I was at 18%. If I had to guess, today I am somewhere between 10-12%. I feel great. There is some discussion on here about if being in shape matters if SHTF. Well if I had my choice of having my body now or the body I had 4 years ago during a time of crisis, I think it would be an obvious decision. I'm going with the healthy body. Sure I want to be mentally ready as well, but physical health helps your mental health. I would love to see some more stories on this thread about people that have changed their lives around and hopefully we will see it help motivate others.
    :rockwoot:

Gamez235

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Mar 24, 2009
    Upstate

This is probably one of the most ridiculous things I've read all week.

Most of the people, including the OP are already looking into things such as medical care and sustainability.

If you have mentally planned and prepared, but your body just isn't up to the task, you're not going to any good in the long term.

Me personally if I knew I'd done everything right and took all the steps I thought would get me and my family by and my body failed me at the critical point cause I wasn't physically up to it, that would be more damaging to my situation and morale than anything else.

I don't know a single person who in a complete physical exhaustion would be mentally sharp, they both depend on each other. Training under stress will make that point very clear to anyone..

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 7, 2010
    (INDY-BRipple)
    :laugh: Holy crap, It must have been really late.

Huh? you don't recommend regular exsercise, but we weren't meant to be lazy?

I dont recommend following my example. HUMANS ARE NOT MEANT TO BE LAZY.

Sorry for miscommunication.

No excuse for giving up regular exercise. Plus the benefits of getting your child/children involved is an added bonus.

I agree whole heartedly. Ever tried to take a 1 year old and less to a Gym? lol I never have but the L.A. fitness offers a daycare.

A neat exercise is walking on glass, needles and hot coals, Have you ever tried this? I do everyday (Sarcasm).

I do what I am physically able to do, brother.

Wow, I hope you're not suggesting this was a daily routine... So you would do 28 sets of 25 reps of situps, and 28 sets of 25 reps pushups and 6.4 sets of 25 reps of pull ups? then do a workout with weights, then throw in some vertical push ups, more situps, and splash of single handed pull ups to top it off?
    :whistle::bs:

The bodyweight workouts were Daily, the free weight exercises were held on seperate days.

I had specific workouts for certain days. I gave the general application of the exercises I used, @ the intensity I would perform.

What did you use to add 10lbs of weight to your boots?

:) A vest, not boots.

This is probably one of the most ridiculous things I've read all week.

OK
    Most of the people, including the OP are already looking into things such as medical care and sustainability.

Ofcourse, and what of the people who are not?

If you have mentally planned and prepared, but your body just isn't up to the task, you're not going to any good in the long term.

ROTFL:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Planning and living "it" are two totally different beasts, friend.
    It takes a relatively short period of time to "get in shape", but I believe it takes longer to prepare the brain. And preparing the brain goes abit beyond the "Im prepared - I have plans."

Me personally if I knew I'd done everything right and took all the steps I thought would get me and my family by and my body failed me at the critical point cause I wasn't physically up to it, that would be more damaging to my situation and morale than anything else.

You will only go as far as you are MENTALLY PREPARED TO GO.
    If you physically break down, you have two choices mentally, suck it the **** up, and keep moving, or sit around and have a pity party.

You need to be prepared mentally, that you make break physically, and you need to be prepared mentally to say "IM GOING TO KEEP MOVING."

I don't know a single person who in a complete physical exhaustion would be mentally sharp, they both depend on each other. Training under stress will make that point very clear to anyone..

Great advise.

However, I've seen some very strong physically folk crumble mentally because they were not prepared mentally for the challenges.

I would hardly call 'working out' stressful to begin with, but very relaxing.

You can disagree with me all you want, and fine. But it's my advise, take it or leave it.

bmmonts76

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2010
    Indy
    :laugh:
    You will only go as far as you are MENTALLY PREPARED TO GO.
    If you physically break down, you have two choices mentally, suck it the **** up, and keep moving, or sit around and have a pity party.

You need to be prepared mentally, that you make break physically, and you need to be prepared mentally to say "IM GOING TO KEEP MOVING."

This is just my opinion with completely no scientific data backing it up so take it for what it's worth. I think you can train yourself mentally for when SHTF, but that really only fine tunes the type of person you already are. You either are going to have the mental tools it takes or you are not. Preparing yourself with knowledge is a whole different aspect. I am speaking purely preparing yourself mentally with the will to live. A person can say they have what it takes to survive, but I don't think anyone really knows until that time comes. Let's just hope we don't have to find out.

SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    Bottle of whiskey a day, twelve cheese burgers and grocery bag of French fries a day, thousand rounds a day practicing with my guns, and twelve trained dogs will either let me survive or my dogs will last a little longer then I do.

On the serious side, keep yourself in shape, keep your teeth in good condition, and if you need it, do the lasik. That being said being mentally prepared will get you farther then someone that is not.

DING, DING, DING, DING...This is huge. I see every day, people that are walking around with dental time bombs that are totally preventable. I'm not preaching that you should have prevented the cavity but early detection is crucial in preventing the "shut you down" toothache, infection, abscess and in SHTF situation, death. I feel like I keep preaching things that have been known since the 50's. No pain or symptoms is a TERRIBLE INDICATOR of the presence or absence of problems when it comes to your teeth. Its not that some people have to have big cavities before it starts to hurt and some people feel it early on. I can see both situations in one patient. I see DAILY, a person that has a toothache in one tooth and 1 or 5 other teeth that have decay that is bigger, or even an abscess that they are totally unaware of. I'm a realist, not everyone has the money for text book dentistry, but the benefit of a 6 month exam and yearly x-rays is huge if for only the reason of knowing what is going on in there.
    I get military guys in my office all the time telling me that these tough guys take a bullet and resist being taken out of the fight, but when a toothache (big one) hits them, they can't think, or function and more often request to be taken out of the game. It's not that it hurts that much more, it is a different kind of pain that wears you down to a point of total dysfunction. Thats not even mentioning the health issues of an abscess. People still die of dental abscesses, not just 3rd world countries.
    OK, rant off. Carry on. :ingo: :D

Dr Falken

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 28, 2008
    Bloomington
    I started P90X this past Monday...great work out...And yes, your ability to physically deal with a situation will play a lot with your mental state and your confidence level. That is why they have things like boot camp...

Top Bottom