• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bounty Hunter

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2010
    There you are.
    DING, DING, DING, DING...This is huge. I see every day, people that are walking around with dental time bombs that are totally preventable. I'm not preaching that you should have prevented the cavity but early detection is crucial in preventing the "shut you down" toothache, infection, abscess and in SHTF situation, death. I feel like I keep preaching things that have been known since the 50's. No pain or symptoms is a TERRIBLE INDICATOR of the presence or absence of problems when it comes to your teeth. Its not that some people have to have big cavities before it starts to hurt and some people feel it early on. I can see both situations in one patient. I see DAILY, a person that has a toothache in one tooth and 1 or 5 other teeth that have decay that is bigger, or even an abscess that they are totally unaware of. I'm a realist, not everyone has the money for text book dentistry, but the benefit of a 6 month exam and yearly x-rays is huge if for only the reason of knowing what is going on in there.
    I get military guys in my office all the time telling me that these tough guys take a bullet and resist being taken out of the fight, but when a toothache (big one) hits them, they can't think, or function and more often request to be taken out of the game. It's not that it hurts that much more, it is a different kind of pain that wears you down to a point of total dysfunction. Thats not even mentioning the health issues of an abscess. People still die of dental abscesses, not just 3rd world countries.
    OK, rant off. Carry on. :ingo: :D

You are so right there!!! About 2 months ago I started getting sore around my cheek bone while at work. I have bad allergy and sinus problems so I did not think much of it. When I got off work, I called the Doctor for appointment, I figured I was getting a sinus infection. I woke up in the middle of the night and my cheek and TOOTH were throbbing. Sat. morning of course and I found one dentist open an hour away. Thank God.
    I spent the next three days face down in the pillow(with pain meds). By the time I got back in there Tuesday. My gum was about to burst it was so swollen. He had to lance it and drain it. Sounds nasty, but I had no prior trouble or warning from this tooth. Worst pain I ever had!!
    I rarely miss work, but I spent three days off from that thing, and another week trying to clear it up just to work on it.
    Get them checked!!

Glock19Dude

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Ain't that the truth. I'm dealing with a pulled grion right now as well. I'm bad about not getting enough stretching into my routine. I have to start doing better.

I didn't stretch my groin during the 1st week of the injury and I think that's why I'm on week 3 and still not 100%!!! I was only able to run 1.5 miles this morning before it started to hurt again. I stretch my groin whenever I can in the morning, lunch and a few times at night which has got better......but this sucks! I've definatly learned my lesson the hard way.

kwatters

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 26, 2009
    Central Indiana
    I didn't stretch my groin during the 1st week of the injury and I think that's why I'm on week 3 and still not 100%!!! I was only able to run 1.5 miles this morning before it started to hurt again. I stretch my groin whenever I can in the morning, lunch and a few times at night which has got better......but this sucks! I've definatly learned my lesson the hard way.

One big mistake I think most people make is not warming up. you can stretch all you want but if you don't warm up you are asking for injury. Once you are injured it takes a long time to get over it.

bmmonts76

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2010
    Indy
    One big mistake I think most people make is not warming up. you can stretch all you want but if you don't warm up you are asking for injury. Once you are injured it takes a long time to get over it.

Really good advice. You should never stretch a cold muscle. You can actually injure yourself while stretching.

mdeshon

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 17, 2010
    Out yander
    Exercise is a major part in being prepared. Gota be in shape to run from the zombies or to run for cover, as well as being able to carry your BOB, your pack, and your weapons. That adds on a lot of weight and will slow you down if your out of shape. I do p90x every day to keep in shape and Karv Maga, which also helps me in unarmed combat( but i hope i never end up unarmed) ;)

ljadayton

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    SW Indy
    I do arm curls with my ammo boxes

I do arm curls using my dog, HA!! Seriously, I'm sooo bad out of shape it's not even funny. But with the nice weather and free time I want to start changing that..thank you guys for the inspiration :rockwoot:

Woodsman

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    New albany
    I do arm curls using my dog, HA!! Seriously, I'm sooo bad out of shape it's not even funny. But with the nice weather and free time I want to start changing that..thank you guys for the inspiration :rockwoot:

Why not try some empty milk jugs, wash'em out and fill them with clean water? Then do the reps until you get a decent burn going. Granted each one is only about 8.5 pounds, but a lot of reps helps to build good muscle fiber. Repeat as much as you can stand, but start slowly and focus on controlling the muscles, not just the motions.

ljadayton

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    SW Indy
    Why not try some empty milk jugs, wash'em out and fill them with clean water? Then do the reps until you get a decent burn going. Granted each one is only about 8.5 pounds, but a lot of reps helps to build good muscle fiber. Repeat as much as you can stand, but start slowly and focus on controlling the muscles, not just the motions.

My dog is a solid 45#...I get a decent amount of exercise at work, enough to maintain but not necessarily improve my fitness level..THAT's where I need to focus on :D but that's a really good idea

Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    You have thousands of rounds of your preferred ammo.
    You have your BOB fully loaded.
    You have your 500 gallon water tank.
    You have all the equipment a person might ever need.
    You've even read every book on being prepared for every disaster.

My question, what are you doing to prepare your actual body? Or how do you prepare for "Zombieland" Rule #1? Cardio!

To get things started. I've been going to the Gym nearly everyday the last two weeks. I start with 25 minutes on the treadmill. Followed by 40 minutes on weights. Then Stretching. I'm nearly 35 y.o., 205 pounds, 6'4" My weight has dropped maybe 3-5 pounds, but more importantly I have more energy and I feel less fat.

These last two I think are really important. More energy/Less Fat.

So What do you guys (and gals) do? I'd like this to become a popular thread. And encourage everyone to get away from the computer a little and exercise. How long can you outrun zombies?

I was doing pretty good until I slipped on the ice and cracked a rib. I have gained weight in the interim. I am going to have to start over.

Other than that, I am older, have good blood pressure. Was lifting weights for strength and running for cardio but after 8 days of inactivity, you start losing all your gains and I have been inactive for more than 5 weeks. It is much more difficult to both be motivated and notice gains as you get older, so doing whatever you can when you are young will carry over.

There is a simple gauge of your fitness that can be applied to your children. If you cannot do one pullup, you are completely out of shape. Before I took my spill I could do 3 sets of 5. My daughter, younger and lighter in weight and a Marine, can do 20 in one set with no problem.

As I have gotten older I find it much much harder to get back into shape but the benefits are not disputable.

ljadayton

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    SW Indy
    Oh well, that will teach me try to help.:): Carry on...

lol, no, it was a reasonable answer. I didn't put how much she weighs so anyone could assume she was a small dog. After all, how many people would attempt to do an arm curl with a dog that big? lol....my exercise at work is doing carry outs of dog/cat food/litter for older people and running food when we get our truck (several straight hours of working pallets stacked with 20-40# bags of dog/cat food that are all taller then I am)...but like I said, it's enough to maintain, not improve :D

Top Bottom