• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jcwit

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2009
    Dead Center on the End
    You think that was THAT bad??? damn... little sensitive arent you?

Second thought... I am alittle testy tonight. I really do think that that kind of mindset is ruining this country, but I didnt mean to offend.

Sorry if I did so.

If either of you should happen to think I'm offended, you are very, very mistaken.:laugh::laugh:

djkbmwguy

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 14, 2013
    It's a valid point - no reason to personally attack each other. .
    :yesway:

I agree whole heartedly.

But it's OK to post a dissenting opinion. A forum is a place for civil discussion. You can post dissenting opinions without personally attacking the OP or other posters. I don't think you have to skip the thread entirely.
    :yesway:

I also agree. Life would be boring if we all thought the same way. I would only say skip the thread if you only want to bash a fellow gun enthusiast.

avcautoinc

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 6, 2013
    It's all supply and demand, everybody wants to make profit these days! If people are willing to pay it, they will gladly charge it!

i think everyone knows this, but morals have to come into play somewhere, i have never sold a gun to anyone for more than i have in it, it would be great if others would do the same, but i guess there are money hungry people who dont care if they screw someone

38special

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Mooresville
    i think everyone knows this, but morals have to come into play somewhere, i have never sold a gun to anyone for more than i have in it, it would be great if others would do the same, but i guess there are money hungry people who dont care if they screw someone

At what point does it become immoral? What I mean is - who decides what is fair? You?

There's nothing immoral about charging a price for a product or making a profit. It's business.

Immoral would be to mislead someone or lie about what you're selling. The price is an agreement between the buyer and the seller. Morality doesn't come into play here.

danielson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Napoleon
    Its not that simple.. Just because someone agrees to something, doesnt mean they didnt get screwed. For instance, gas prices. If you backtrack the supply line you will find a whole lot of immoral behavior.

If an 18 year old kid comes asking you about your keltec, and you tell him its the best gun ever, and he buys it for 350, you made out pretty good, and its his ignorace that was the cause.. BUT, no moral man would do that, nor many of the other things I see nowdays.

38special

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Mooresville
    Its not that simple.. Just because someone agrees to something, doesnt mean they didnt get screwed. For instance, gas prices. If you backtrack the supply line you will find a whole lot of immoral behavior.

If an 18 year old kid comes asking you about your keltec, and you tell him its the best gun ever, and he buys it for 350, you made out pretty good, and its his ignorace that was the cause.. BUT, no moral man would do that, nor many of the other things I see nowdays.

I covered that. Obviously you shouldn't mistepresent what you have. Simply putting a price on an item is not immoral.

avcautoinc

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 6, 2013
    At what point does it become immoral? What I mean is - who decides what is fair? You?

There's nothing immoral about charging a price for a product or making a profit. It's business.

Immoral would be to mislead someone or lie about what you're selling. The price is an agreement between the buyer and the seller. Morality doesn't come into play here.

Who decides what is fair, Yes me, when im buying, i cant stand seeing people selling a gun that has no significant value for twice the amount, example a kel-tec PMR 30 that sells new for 400 or less but as#holes try to sell it for 800 because of "supply and demand"

38special

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Mooresville
    Who decides what is fair, Yes me, when im buying, i cant stand seeing people selling a gun that has no significant value for twice the amount, example a kel-tec PMR 30 that sells new for 400 or less but as#holes try to sell it for 800 because of "supply and demand"

You can decide what is fair to you, yes. But what is fair to you may not be fair to someone else.

I'm a cheapskate. I won't pay as much for a gun as the next guy just because I am cheap. That doesn't make it immoral for someone to sell at a higher price to someone willing to pay it.

Take this example:

I am willing to pay $350 for a glock (incidentally thats exactly what I paid for both of mine). Another guy is willing to pay $500 for a glock.

Seller asks $500. I won't pay that much. Is it then immoral for the seller to ask $500 simply because that's not a price I'm willing to pay?

Of course not. I pass on the deal and move on. I don't tell him he's immoral for asking more for a gun. I don't have to pay that price.

It's not a moral issue. Don't like the price...don't buy it.

danielson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Napoleon
    The fact is, guys, no one is going to agree here.. Completely different mindsets.
    "gougers" believe that it makes sense to get as much money out of something as you can, hopefully its WAY more than you paid.

Those who hate "gougers" think that getting much more than what you paid for something is wrong, and would be hard on themselves for doing so.

Its a difference of opinion that goes right to the core, and can not be reasoned with.

Im not saying YOUR wrong for gouging, Im saying that I would be wrong for doing so. Because I want to be a good person, more than a wealthy one.

jcwit

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2009
    Dead Center on the End
    The fact is, guys, no one is going to agree here.. Completely different mindsets.
    "gougers" believe that it makes sense to get as much money out of something as you can, hopefully its WAY more than you paid.

Those who hate "gougers" think that getting much more than what you paid for something is wrong, and would be hard on themselves for doing so.

Its a difference of opinion that goes right to the core, and can not be reasoned with.

Im not saying YOUR wrong for gouging, Im saying that I would be wrong for doing so. Because I want to be a good person, more than a wealthy one.

You've pretty much got it. Its also what our society has morphed into, all about me, and how much I can get, and how many entitlements I'm entitled to, whether legal or not.

Sorry state of affairs, but such as it is. At the rate its going there will shortly come a reckoning. But I'm old and will more than likely let the younger folks deal with it.

Dauvis

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 5, 2013
    Morgan county
    You've pretty much got it. Its also what our society has morphed into, all about me, and how much I can get, and how many entitlements I'm entitled to, whether legal or not.

Sorry state of affairs, but such as it is. At the rate its going there will shortly come a reckoning. But I'm old and will more than likely let the younger folks deal with it.

Is what the so-called gougers doing really gouging? To me, for something to be gouging, there needs to be coercion. I've yet to see coercion. This is not like trying to sell a bottle of water for $10 after a natural disaster where people's lives are on the line. Sure, I'm frustrated by the situation but nobody's forcing me to buy.

jcwit

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2009
    Dead Center on the End
    Is what the so-called gougers doing really gouging? To me, for something to be gouging, there needs to be coercion. I've yet to see coercion. This is not like trying to sell a bottle of water for $10 after a natural disaster where people's lives are on the line. Sure, I'm frustrated by the situation but nobody's forcing me to buy.

Nope, you're wrong and need to read up on the meaning of "coercion" and "gouging".

Note here

Coercion - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Price gouging - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

38special

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Mooresville

Interesting. So, you're assertion would be that you can't be both. I disagree. I also resent the notion that because I want to profit off of an item, I am inherently not a good person.

The idea that wanting to profit the most possible off of a business transaction is "gouging" is just laughable.

Nope, you're wrong and need to read up on the meaning of "coercion" and "gouging".

Note here

Coercion - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Price gouging - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The very link you posted states that exactly what is happening here is not price gouging.

From wikipedia:

"The term is similar to profiteering but can be distinguished by being short-term and localized, and by a restriction to essentials such as food, clothing, shelter, medicine and equipment needed to preserve life, limb and property."

danielson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Napoleon
    Interesting. So, you're assertion would be that you can't be both. I disagree. I also resent the notion that because I want to profit off of an item, I am inherently not a good person.

The idea that wanting to profit the most possible off of a business transaction is "gouging" is just laughable.

Settle down, Spanky...
    If you read my post, I placed emphasis on the fact that all opinions differ based on person. So, If I did, in fact, think you were a bad person (which I dont, I dont even know you) That wouldnt mean a damned thing, in your eyes.

My post is about self image. The fact is, some people are harder on themselves than others. Some would argue that weve all gotten away from this, and thats why this country is where it is, others will argue that we are all stupid for stopping ourselves from getting ahead, by being so hard on ourselves.

At the end of the day, what I think about you, and you about me, is pointless to both of us.

If you feel good about having your friend at a local store, hold and sell you ammo for 23$ a box, and then you resell it for 45$ a box, good for you.... I dont have to feel the same, and visa versa.

38special

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Mooresville
    Settle down, Spanky...
    If you read my post, I placed emphasis on the fact that all opinions differ based on person. So, If I did, in fact, think you were a bad person (which I dont, I dont even know you) That wouldnt mean a damned thing, in your eyes.

My post is about self image. The fact is, some people are harder on themselves than others. Some would argue that weve all gotten away from this, and thats why this country is where it is, others will argue that we are all stupid for stopping ourselves from getting ahead, by being so hard on ourselves.

At the end of the day, what I think about you, and you about me, is pointless to both of us.

If you feel good about having your friend at a local store, hold and sell you ammo for 23$ a box, and then you resell it for 45$ a box, good for you.... I dont have to feel the same, and visa versa.

Well, the self-image clarification makes more sense.

But I said I don't have a problem with people making whatever profit they and the buyer can agree on.

Breaking store policy and cheating the system, so to speak, is entirely different and not something I've touched on at all in this discussion.

jcwit

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2009
    Dead Center on the End
    The very link you posted states that exactly what is happening here is not price gouging.

From wikipedia:

"The term is similar to profiteering but can be distinguished by being short-term and localized, and by a restriction to essentials such as food, clothing, shelter, medicine and equipment needed to preserve life, limb and property."

And so this makes it perfectly alright with you.

I'm sure glad I need to do no business with such as you, being as your attitude is it all about yourself, or in other words, ME, ME, ME.

Your ethics are sorely lacking.

Top Bottom