• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    Meh, I have a friend who waxes his garage floor every few weeks. I don't understand it at all, but it makes him happy. As long as he's not calling me names or looking down on me for not waxing my garage floor we get along great.

I just looked at the primer pockets of the batch of 5 .223 I have been shooting the last few days, the primer pockets after 25+ firings look like they did after the first firing, so it clearly doesn't build up.

FWIW though, as some people like spotless clean and that's what makes them happy, economy is what makes me happy. I found those five pieces of brass on the gravel road where I do my daily 20 mile bike ride. I actually found about ten but they had been run over a few times so a couple I threw out and a couple I made 300BLK brass out of because the necks and shoulders were crushed beyond recovery.

Just yesterday I finally had one of them split the neck (I had been watching a crack grow for the last couple loadings) enough that it was no longer usable. So I chopped off the neck and made a piece of 300BLK brass out of it and am shooting it through my Handi-Rifle when I shoot the remaining .223. I've gotten 3 loadings through it so far. That kind of economy makes ME happy, while some will wonder why I bother since I have about 30-40k pieces of .223/5.56 brass and could easily throw them out. Now I'm curious as to whether I could take the 300BLK brass and load it for 9mm if it finally fails because of neck splitting. Since I don't shoot or load for 9mm I probably won't, but I am curious, and if it were possible it'd tickle me even more from an efficiency of material use standpoint.

Economy of material, along with economy of process. Yeah, that'll do just fine.

Top Bottom