Private business that advertise "NO GUNS".

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ruffnek

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    I regularly frequent a chain of hotels and as such regularly get surveys from those hotels. One hotel I used to frequent 6-8 nights a month in OH suddenly had the sign on the door one time. I changed my reservations going forward to another hotel. Later the former hotel sent me a survey and I commented that I wouldn't stay at that location as long as the sticker was on the door. I later received an email from the location manager stating that the policy had changed. And there is no more sticker. I understand it is their right to prohibit on their property and I respect that, but I will kindly decline access to my property (money) and respectfully let them know it. In this case, they changed and I've been staying there again when in town.

Now that is awesome. I wish more companies cared that much about the customer. I've always discounted those surveys, figuring they were just for appearances ("See, we care about our customers, tell us what we can do to make it better!") and ultimately trashed.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Now that is awesome. I wish more companies cared that much about the customer. I've always discounted those surveys, figuring they were just for appearances ("See, we care about our customers, tell us what we can do to make it better!") and ultimately trashed.

I think it's the reason gun prohibition exist at businesses exactly because they care for customers.... the majority of customers. Plainly said most people don't want see guns in places they frequent, or know they are allowed. Safety is an abstract concept to many, that they'd whether not dwell on.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    Whole Foods downtown is no guns, predictably. But, at first they just had a sign with a Beretta M9 silhouette and the circle with the line through it. I figured meh I am not carrying an M9 and waltzed in with my Shield. They have subsequently added "No Guns" above that sign though. I still carry there. After a few months of being open though it did not take them long to hire armed security not for people like me for the most part but the legions of druggees and homeless that float around even the circle.
    Is that the one over close to the rathskellar restaurant? No way in hell would I not carry a gun there or anywhere downtown with the high number of homeless and shady looking people that just mope around all day.
    That store has about everything you can imagine though. I never thought we had stores like what Chicago and the east coast had until I went in there.

I dont open carry and I don't give a crap what anyone post for a sign

hpclayto

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   1
    Nov 8, 2008
    Is that the one over close to the rathskellar restaurant? No way in hell would I not carry a gun there or anywhere downtown with the high number of homeless and shady looking people that just mope around all day.
    That store has about everything you can imagine though. I never thought we had stores like what Chicago and the east coast had until I went in there.

I dont open carry and I don't give a crap what anyone post for a sign

But does it hurt your feelings when you see one? That seems to be the main thing.

KCYM7

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 1, 2018
    CARMEL
    Since none of the establishments discussed are government facilities, can they legally enforce their no-weapon provision?

My father (who was at Pearl Harbor on "the day") would tell me stories of bars that would have signs..."no dogs or sailors" (he was in the Navy). Fine, someone can post a sign saying whatever they like. But these days, can a business legally deny service to a person who is in legal possession of a weapon?

Can a business refuse service, or even entry, to a person based on an arbitrary decision? I'm not being rhetorical, but am answering a sincere question.

Thanks,

John

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    Since none of the establishments discussed are government facilities, can they legally enforce their no-weapon provision?

My father (who was at Pearl Harbor on "the day") would tell me stories of bars that would have signs..."no dogs or sailors" (he was in the Navy). Fine, someone can post a sign saying whatever they like. But these days, can a business legally deny service to a person who is in legal possession of a weapon?

Can a business refuse service, or even entry, to a person based on an arbitrary decision? I'm not being rhetorical, but am answering a sincere question.

Thanks,

John

Yes. Business owners have property rights, and your legal possession of a firearm is protected only in public places. And even then, subject to restrictions like courthouses, schools, etc.

mergatroid

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 30, 2018
    INDIANAPOLIS

As I understand it, no they can't. If you are found with a weapon, no big deal. You will be asked to leave. If you don't, then it seems it would be trespass. And yes, you can be prosecuted.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    Goodfellas, Cedar Lake, on US 41.

Their theme is prohibition era gangsters. Life size posters of Al Capone, Lucky Luciano, Meyer Lansky, Bugs Moran and the like. Guns from the same era hanging on the wall. I once open carried in their establishment and was invited to leave. Rather hypocritical to make your money off the legends of criminals but not recognize 2nd Amendment rights of good guys. Food is OK but nothing special. Find another more gun-friendly place to patronize.

Maybe you must be a criminal or gangsta to carry there?

mergatroid

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 30, 2018
    INDIANAPOLIS
    I think it's the reason gun prohibition exist at businesses exactly because they care for customers.... the majority of customers. Plainly said most people don't want see guns in places they frequent, or know they are allowed. Safety is an abstract concept to many, that they'd whether not dwell on.

My take is that it is mostly virtue signaling. They think the tide is going one way, and want to capitalize on the public sentiment. They really don't have a clue or just marketing based on CNN and MSNBC. Reminds me of a tune....."Spring time for Hitler and Germany. Winter for Poland and France".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HPXHRX8Q2hs&index=6&list=RDFsql523bSj4

Top Bottom