• Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    OP- the same thing goes for most of the dealers at the local gun shows. They must be smoking something illegal when they have asking prices for common used firearms at or sometimes above full retail. I recently saw a dealer asking well over $200 for a Star BM 9mm Pistol that was for sale at J&G sales for $149! Even with shipping and $25 for a transfer fee I would have still been ahead $75! Don’t these dealers check prices? I guess the dealers must like unpacking and repacking the same stuff over and over again. Sheesh!

Probably. And they are hoping you didnt.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    I check the classifieds on this site and Armlist pretty often and it brings up a question...

Why do many of the posts have used firearms for prices higher than they can be bought brand new?

Why do you think that gun owners know anything more about supply and demand than the general population? They do not.

I rented tables at the November 1500 and received an enormous education. I understand why there is so much non-gun crap at shows. I understand which guns sell and why. I understand the market's motivations and what drives purchases much clearer now.

Anything that can move freely, can move stupidly. People will make mistakes and behave against their best interest. Let them, it's part of freedom.

doubleeagle4

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2019
    East Central
    Why do you think that gun owners know anything more about supply and demand than the general population? They do not.

Honestly, I don't think that they know more about supply and demand.. but they have a valuable tool to price items- the internet. You can literally take 30 seconds to look up a price of a new gun on the internet and then price what you have accordingly.

doubleeagle4

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2019
    East Central
    OP- the same thing goes for most of the dealers at the local gun shows. They must be smoking something illegal when they have asking prices for common used firearms at or sometimes above full retail. I recently saw a dealer asking well over $200 for a Star BM 9mm Pistol that was for sale at J&G sales for $149! Even with shipping and $25 for a transfer fee I would have still been ahead $75! Don’t these dealers check prices? I guess the dealers must like unpacking and repacking the same stuff over and over again. Sheesh!

I am also amazed to see some of the ammo prices at gun shows. You always have the people with the dusty ammo boxes trying to sell them for double the price you can get them everywhere else...

AGarbers

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Martinsville
    If you want crazy, go to an estate auction or the like. I gave up going because firearms went insanely high. I can only assume that kinfolk often bid high on guns for sentimental reasons.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Ehhhhh, buyers sellers, sellers buyers...

...everyone has their own motivations. :dunno:

It's pretty simple to track items not selling, while adds are still being regularly maintained. There are often plenty of options for those who are proactive, especially if you are polite and not readily offended by people's responses.

There are lots of trades that aren't advertised to be made and get made often.

People sometimes get hamstrung in their own mistaken mindsets. You hardly anymore hear anyone say the tired old statement "Guns are a good investment that you'll never lose money on."

crewchief888

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 13, 2016
    NWI
    I am also amazed to see some of the ammo prices at gun shows. You always have the people with the dusty ammo boxes trying to sell them for double the price you can get them everywhere else...

i see the same thing. the only factory ammo i buy is 22LR, and only 2 specific brands. i "shop" those prices every time i go to a show, LGS or chain store. last show in CP i did buy a box of fed auto match, $3 cheaper than the cheapest place around town. i would have bought more if he had more.
    $3 is $3 :rockwoot:

i didnt get to spend as much time wandering aroud as i wanted to, i literally just paid the addision fee, and got called into work. we have an "unwritten rule" of 1 hr response time
    :cheers:

Sigblitz

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 25, 2018
    Indianapolis
    I check the classifieds on this site and Armlist pretty often and it brings up a question...

Why do many of the posts have used firearms for prices higher than they can be bought brand new?.. Are people willing to pay a price higher than retail to avoid having the firearm registered to their name? Do people not check prices online and at their LGS before purchasing? Do sellers not check the market and just put them for a price they paid a few years ago?

This isn't a thread to start a fight or bash people, I am just genuinely curious. I have always bought from either a LGS or shopped online and use a LGS for an FFL. I have a few guns in mind that I want to buy and can't find a reason to justify paying more to a person that I don't know.

I've noticed that over the last year. I rarely look on there unless I'm bored.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Probably. And they are hoping you didnt.

Exactly. Those guys are paying for those tables some how, and if they are constantly there, you can believe they are not losing money.

Honestly, I don't think that they know more about supply and demand.. but they have a valuable tool to price items- the internet. You can literally take 30 seconds to look up a price of a new gun on the internet and then price what you have accordingly.

Factor in that they are also selling to people who paid to park and paid to get in... both of which are free at LGS as well as on the internet, so there is that. Not to mention willingly disarming themselves to get into the show.

chenowethpm

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 12, 2019
    Indianapolis
    I agree people can sell their privately owned guns for whatever prices they want, I don’t have to buy them. My favorite is when they say they’ll take trades but it has to be “heavily in their favor”. To me a trade is when both parties benefit equally from the deal. Just my opinions.

Sigblitz

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 25, 2018
    Indianapolis
    Factor in that they are also selling to people who paid to park and paid to get in... both of which are free at LGS as well as on the internet, so there is that. Not to mention willingly disarming themselves to get into the show.

That sounds like a lot of fail.

Goodcat

From a place you cannot see…
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    152   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    New Pal
    I saw a Keltec PMR30 for $2500 on Armslist last month. If anyone remembers it, the title was “30 rounds for ur a$$” and it went on to explain the scarcity. I don’t think these idiots actually get sales. They are morons who feel they may find a jack wagon who will fall for their tricks, then sit on the item.

Ruffnek

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Most stood down but 2 of these nut jobs were relentless. One even said he was gifting it to a wounded Vet. simple search proved both were flippers. She politely refused and stated that was it. 1 came back in a very snarky way stating the market was soft. The other came back that he could buy a new AR at rural king for $400 so she should sell hers at that price.
    This sounds like r/ChoosingBeggars.
    At this point I intervened. One vanished and the other actually had the balls to call me out on showing favor to members.
    My last PM was not so nice stating that yes I will show favor to my spouse and he decided to stand down.
    Who are they gonna call? I never heard of INGO HR...

Goodcat

From a place you cannot see…
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    152   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    New Pal
    Scammers, more likely.
    Someone with a 460 S&W Bear kit scammed my buddy out of nearly $1,000. He got it back through PayPal. His ads started disappearing. Now the yahoo is posting 1895 SBLs from various locations that would require shipping for $800. How can the ATF not crack down on these people?

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Someone with a 460 S&W Bear kit scammed my buddy out of nearly $1,000. He got it back through PayPal. His ads started disappearing. Now the yahoo is posting 1895 SBLs from various locations that would require shipping for $800. How can the ATF not crack down on these people?

Why would they? If the gun doesn't actually exist, then it's not their concern. If the gun is overpriced, they don't care.

Fraud prevention is the business of the FBI.

Top Bottom