Private party sales - what's the common etiquette?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    So, what about red hair???

001.jpg

Did you just fart in that pic...???

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I just ran across an ad that really shouldnt be here. Seller just needs to drop it off at a gun store and let them sell it for him. Two copies of a BoS WITH drivers license info for both parties? Not only no, but HELLS NO!

If you are that paranoid, you shouldnt be doing private party sales. IF you feel you MUST CYA that much, maybe selling it yourself isnt your thing. Maybe you should just "do it right" for safety and let a LGS handle it with a NICS check.

In an effort to be positive, I'll add that at least he is being upfront with his unreasonable terms.

I'll likely go another direction than this seller also. That said, he is clear with no surprises.

Something special, unique, extremely well priced, I'd consider it.

There have been some members whose career was firearm sales who always insisted on seeing your papers and a BOS for private sales.

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    Copying them is to much I agree. I personally like to see an Indiana ID just to make sure I'm not selling to someone out of state. I also like to see a gun permit because imo that would lower the chance I would be selling to a criminal. I also ask if they are allowed to purchase a firearm lawfully. Is that to much to ask?

In my opinion for what its worth YES! There is absolutely no reason to ask for a gun permit.

I have friends that do not carry a firearm nor want to, but they are hunters or target shoot. The Federal requirements do not require you to determine that you are not selling to a "criminal"! They only state you may not sell to someone "you do not know or have reasonable suspicion that they are not legal to possess a firearm".

Yeah I do have a lifetime carry permit and hold a FFL-03 license. I collect firearms haven't sold one in many years but do buy and if someone wants excessive "proof" from me, I would just pass on any deal! I feel there are already enough - and often too many - laws about firearms that I don't need to see anyone add some!

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Copying them is to much I agree. I personally like to see an Indiana ID just to make sure I'm not selling to someone out of state. I also like to see a gun permit because imo that would lower the chance I would be selling to a criminal. I also ask if they are allowed to purchase a firearm lawfully. Is that to much to ask?

In my ads I always put down: "Must have IN license & LTCH."
    If I know them here on INGO it's a moot point & no need to bother.
    In general, I have no desire to sell to anyone that doesn't care enough to get a LTCH.

The first gun I bought 3 yrs. ago was a Taurus .357 from a site I don't even remember (not even know about INGO yet), & I didn't have my LTCH yet.
    The 2nd gun (SW Victory), the seller said he googled me when he asked if I had the LTCH, and I had to tell him I was still waiting for it to get in.
    He was either INGO or Armslist, not remember.

I had my home protection gun & range gun, and had only my CC gun to get, which I believe was a Charter Arms .38 sp.
    Then I was done, all my need & wants for armory complete. :lmfao: Or so I thought. :laugh:

Last edited:

Haven

Network Warlord
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 6, 2016
    Camby Area
    I just ran across an ad that really shouldnt be here. Seller just needs to drop it off at a gun store and let them sell it for him. Two copies of a BoS WITH drivers license info for both parties? Not only no, but HELLS NO!

If you are that paranoid, you shouldnt be doing private party sales. IF you feel you MUST CYA that much, maybe selling it yourself isnt your thing. Maybe you should just "do it right" for safety and let a LGS handle it with a NICS check.

In an effort to be positive, I'll add that at least he is being upfront with his unreasonable terms.

Throw them for a loop, ask them for a copy of their PII (Personal Identifiable Information) policy, and/or Privacy Policy. If they don't know what that is or have one, then ask them why they are asking to copy your Drivers License information.

Almost every website that I deal with these days has one of these policies. I get an letter yearly from State Farm about their PII Policy, I get several e-mails from various websites that update me on their PII policies.

Tyler-The-Piker

Boondock Saint
    Rating - 100%
    101   0   0
    Jun 24, 2013
    ><(((((*>
    I posted this in the other thread but it may also be relevant here:

Armslist is inundated with scammers. Fortunately you can spot 90% of them with a few red flags:

Anytime you see a price way too low you can assume it's fake. And its a scam if the info is obviously copy/pasted from gunbroker or manufacturers website.

00l0l_4n0DSPdjYCp_0bC0hV_1200x900.jpg

If they have something collectible at a price that may seem too good to be true...and an out of state area code, it's a scam.

00101_2jpKbpwLeHc_0bC0i0_1200x900.jpg

And another subtle red flag is if they have just registered to Armslist that same day and the location is "Indiana, Indiana" it's most definitely a scam.

00909_80m62bu4bxw_0bC0hT_1200x900.jpg

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    In my ads I always put down: "Must have IN license & LTCH."
    If I know them here on INGO it's a mute point & no need to bother.
    In general, I have no desire to sell to anyone that doesn't care enough to get a LTCH.

The first gun I bought 3 yrs. ago was a Taurus .357 from a site I don't even remember (not even know about INGO yet), & I didn't have my LTCH yet.
    The 2nd gun (SW Victory), the seller said he googled me when he asked if I had the LTCH, and I had to tell him I was still waiting for it to get in.
    He was either INGO or Armslist, not remember.

I had my home protection gun & range gun, and had only my CC gun to get, which I believe was a Charter Arms .38 sp.
    Then I was done, all my need & wants for armory complete. :lmfao: Or so I thought. :laugh:

I just don't want to have one of my personally bought firearms ending up with a criminal. I know some say not my business but I think I should at least do my part. So far no one has had a problem with my asking that I've dealt with.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 11, 2012
    01001111 01001000
    I just don't want to have one of my personally bought firearms ending up with a criminal. I know some say not my business but I think I should at least do my part. So far no one has had a problem with my asking that I've dealt with.

The times that I've reached out to sellers I'll offer up that I will bring my CCW ID (settle down, I live in OH) and the agreed upon amount of cash. My last one even offered his CCW ID up when I arrived. We exchanged IDs, inspected the firearm, then exchanged cash. Even had a good conversation to wrap it up.

The only reason I got that deal, and it was quite a deal, was because my initial contact email was properly constructed. Dude even met me half way, and that was an hour drive for each of us. Don't reach out to a seller with terrible grammar and cut-off sentences and expect to inspire confidence. You're buying a gun, not a beat up Honda Civic. That's my #1 rule of first contact.

rhrlaw

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 20, 2020
    Carmel
    Is the request for the LTCH to ensure someone has had some degree of a background check in the past? I ask because I am waiting for the DMV demand to go down a bit before going in for my IN DL, car registration and subsequently applying for my LTCH. That said, I'm a licensed investigator (California) and an attorney (New Mexico) and both my IDs are verifiable on public websites and both included comprehensive background checks and fingerprinting, (State Bar specifically has an in depth Character and Fitness component which goes into credit / financial health, etc).

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Is the request for the LTCH to ensure someone has had some degree of a background check in the past? I ask because I am waiting for the DMV demand to go down a bit before going in for my IN DL, car registration and subsequently applying for my LTCH. That said, I'm a licensed investigator (California) and an attorney (New Mexico) and both my IDs are verifiable on public websites and both included comprehensive background checks and fingerprinting, (State Bar specifically has an in depth Character and Fitness component which goes into credit / financial health, etc).

Their background check is the only background check that matters for the LTCH. They dont care if you're the pope. Without their check, you're no good.

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy

That's what it is for most people, I think. A little bit of peace of mind that, at least at one point, you passed the state's background check. Equally importantly, though, is the Indiana ID or driver's license that proves that you are a resident of Indiana.

dhunt4work

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 10, 2013
    In Fort Wayne I typically me at the State Police Post parking lot. I also require....(which some don't like) that they text me a pic of their drivers license before meeting. I have had a number of people no show and this commits them a little more. In addition, I know who I am meeting. In person then I require the carry card and have them sign a bill of sale which states the following: BY SIGNING THIS BILL OF SALE I AGREE THAT I HAVE PROVIDED A VALID INDIANA DRIVERS LICENSE AND INDIANA LICENSE TO CARRY. ADDITIONALLY I AGREE THAT I CAN LEGALLY OWN A FIREARM AND MEET ALL REQUIREMENTS TO DO SO.
    I recognize this is a hassle for some, but it is my firearm and we play by my rules if you want to buy it. I could careless if people walk away.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    In Fort Wayne I typically me at the State Police Post parking lot. I also require....(which some don't like) that they text me a pic of their drivers license before meeting. I have had a number of people no show and this commits them a little more. In addition, I know who I am meeting. In person then I require the carry card and have them sign a bill of sale which states the following: BY SIGNING THIS BILL OF SALE I AGREE THAT I HAVE PROVIDED A VALID INDIANA DRIVERS LICENSE AND INDIANA LICENSE TO CARRY. ADDITIONALLY I AGREE THAT I CAN LEGALLY OWN A FIREARM AND MEET ALL REQUIREMENTS TO DO SO.
    I recognize this is a hassle for some, but it is my firearm and we play by my rules if you want to buy it. I could careless if people walk away.

Good luck getting folks here to play along with that.

JFC if you are that damn paranoid just send it to your local gun store for consignment.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 11, 2012
    01001111 01001000

As long as you are up front with those requirements there shouldn't be any issue..although I'm sure some folks are kinda rude about it. Personally, I won't send photos of my ID or sign a BoS but that's me.

Top Bottom