• ...and so much more!
  • doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Did you PM the INGOer that offered $235 first?

1. No, I felt they probably had moved on or would be insulted that I didn't take their offer Saturday, and offer me less, and I would add insult to injury by saying no, or be prepared to take a spanking for not accepting their $235 offer.
    2. If you feel I owe it to them, I have no problem: I'll shoot them an email.

Dddrees

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2016
    Central
    Whenever I listed something for sale I always allowed for a certain amount of negotiating room. Low balls where always a part of the deal but a simple polite copy and paste response generally solved that problem. They made little effort as did I in kind. I think I experienced only one spammer who tried real hard to get on my nerves. But here again a simple polite response tended to be the best approach as most who do this are only going for a reaction in the first place. For the most part and because I sold more than just a few items I had enough canned responses that this kept everything real nice and tidy and the effort I expended was minimal at best. It's a business transaction and nothing more and thus I treated as such. As such what I was selling was used even if it hadn't been used. If the potential customer wasn't looking for a deal he would have chosen to get a new one.

I tried to to remain professional very open and honest. I don't know that you have the same here but sellers and buyers on the forum I sold my wares had a reputation system were points could be rewarded. So after every transaction I sent a simple follow up email asking whether the buyer was satisfied and requested that they gave me a reputation point if they in fact were happy. Heck I even gave them one generally first as this usually generated a favorable response. The whole thing really just generated a higher ranking so that other potential buyers would see that I was trust worthy. Besides being on that forum for awhile my reputation actually meant more to me than any single transaction. Thus I took a number of precautions to ensure a good transaction.

Last edited:

Dddrees

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2016
    Central
    1. No, I felt they probably had moved on or would be insulted that I didn't take their offer Saturday, and offer me less, and I would add insult to injury by saying no, or be prepared to take a spanking for not accepting their $235 offer.
    2. If you feel I owe it to them, I have no problem: I'll shoot them an email.

You don't owe him anything, but you just might be able to make a sale by doing so.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Did you PM the INGOer that offered $235 first?

1. I just sent a note to the person who offered $235.
    2. He was from INGO and not Armslist so I checked some of his posts and recognized the posts!
    3. He has over 200 posts and has bought/sold here.
    4. In fact, he has had for sale a LCR Pro for $295 I think recently, so perhaps he buys what he's familiar with them and has good success at buying them at the right price and making a quick $25 on them selling. :dunno:

Dddrees

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2016
    Central
    1. I just sent a note to the person who offered $235.
    2. He was from INGO and not Armslist so I checked some of his posts and recognized the posts!
    3. He has over 200 posts and has bought/sold here.
    4. In fact, he has had for sale a LCR Pro for $295 I think recently, so perhaps he buys what he's familiar with them and has good success at buying them at the right price and making a quick $25 on them selling. :dunno:

So

Once he's bought something it's his to do with as he sees fit.

Seriously, it's business and it's best really if you treat it as such.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Whenever I listed something for sale I always allowed for a certain amount of negotiating room. Low balls where always a part of the deal but a simple polite copy and paste response generally solved that problem. They made little effort as did I in kind. I think I experienced only one spammer who tried real hard to get on my nerves. But here again a simple polite response tended to be the best approach as most who do this are only going for a reaction in the first place. For the most part and because I sold more than just a few items I had enough canned responses that this kept everything real nice and tidy and the effort I expended was minimal at best. It's a business transaction and nothing more and thus I treated as such. As such what I was selling was used even if it hadn't been used. If the potential customer wasn't looking for a deal he would have chosen to get a new one.

I tried to to remain professional very open and honest. I don't know that you have the same here but sellers and buyers on the forum I sold my wares had a reputation system were points could be rewarded. So after every transaction I sent a simple follow up email asking whether the buyer was satisfied and requested that they gave me a reputation point if they in fact were happy. Heck I even gave them one generally first as this usually generated a favorable response. The whole thing really just generated a higher ranking so that other potential buyers would see that I was trust worthy. Besides being on that forum for awhile my reputation actually meant more to me than any single transaction. Thus I took a number of precautions to ensure a good transaction.

1. Much wisdom if what you are saying.
    2. The only offer that irritated me was the response that was only: "180" (not even a dollar sign :laugh:).
    3. My response was a simple: "$280" ($100 more than his offer and $30 more than my asking price.
    4. I thought it was a funny response to what I would call, "fishing."

Dddrees

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2016
    Central
    1. Much wisdom if what you are saying.
    2. The only offer that irritated me was the response that was only: "180" (not even a dollar sign :laugh:).
    3. My response was a simple: "$280" ($100 more than his offer and $30 more than my asking price.
    4. I thought it was a funny response to what I would call, "fishing."

Really for me I just didn't let it get to me. It's an open forum and as such your bound to get those kind of offers. It seems to bother some and I tend to think that's why they do it in the first place. But like I said it's not like I'm going to sell it to that person so it really made no never mind to me. Quick response of thanks but no thanks and wait for the offer your looking for.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Someone from Armslist just emailed asking if it was still available.
    I was busy and told him I'd get back with him in a half-hour.
    When I checked half hour later he left an email saying he had cash and when could we get together.
    He's 10 minutes away, so I guess I better get dressed. :laugh:

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Yep. 3 days later selling to someone else for the same money offered might seem like a smack in the face.

Yep, that would be a bit aggravating. No one has to do a deal with anyone and can walk for any reason, but it would leave me asking what I did wrong, unless I had some other condition I tried to put in that wasn't agreeable.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Yep, that would be a bit aggravating. No one has to do a deal with anyone and can walk for any reason, but it would leave me asking what I did wrong, unless I had some other condition I tried to put in that wasn't agreeable.

That's the kind of thing that makes our classifieds seem like less than local friends trading stuff. Similarly, with all due respect to the OP, listing an add in our classifieds and duplicating it on another site doesn't seem like much of a neighborly thing to do.

INGO is a discussion forum with the perk of a classified section for active members as opposed to the opposite.

Dddrees

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2016
    Central
    That's the kind of thing that makes our classifieds seem like less than local friends trading stuff. Similarly, with all due respect to the OP, listing an add in our classifieds and duplicating it on another site doesn't seem like much of a neighborly thing to do.

INGO is a discussion forum with the perk of a classified section for active members as opposed to the opposite.

It's a perk and a nice thing to be able to utilize especially with what can be a very fickle but expensive hobby. But even the most friendly people may not purchase what your selling.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis

1. I was shocked when I read: "listing an ad in our classifieds and duplicating it on another site doesn't seem like much of a neighborly thing to do. "What?!! :scratch:
    2. When I started out I had to buy and sell on Armslist (and another site, don't even remember which) b/c I wasn't allowed to participate in the Classifieds until the "50" rule.
    3. Someone told me I could pay to be a supporter and then I would be allowed to do so and I did, and started buying and selling here.
    4. My last few guns I have posted and sold only here b/c they sold immediately, but when the Ruger didn't, I put it on Armlist also.
    5. I never dreamed that it was politically incorrect, or a slight, I just thought it was normal business since I have seen ads in both places myself before.
    6. I have seen people here say they were listing items to sell here first to give first opportunity to members, then they would post it elsewhere if no interest.
    7. Sounded reasonable to me. :dunno: Again, I meant no "non-neighborly" behavior. :cheers:

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    East of Hoosier45 - West of T-dogg
    I don't recall taking an oath to INGO over other sites? If you are a seller; your responsibility to yourself is to market your product.

Personally, I'd prefer to use this, Gunbroker or the S&W site to buy/sell long before Armslist - though I've had decent luck with purchases on Armslist.

Now, I think what bwframe was getting at is that its polite to offer an items to you INGO "friends" before putting it into the impersonal and little policed Armslist - which you did in the proper order.

Last edited:

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    1. I was shocked when I read: "listing an ad in our classifieds and duplicating it on another site doesn't seem like much of a neighborly thing to do. "What?!! :scratch:
    2. When I started out I had to buy and sell on Armslist (and another site, don't even remember which) b/c I wasn't allowed to participate in the Classifieds until the "50" rule.
    3. Someone told me I could pay to be a supporter and then I would be allowed to do so and I did, and started buying and selling here.
    4. My last few guns I have posted and sold only here b/c they sold immediately, but when the Ruger didn't, I put it on Armlist also.
    5. I never dreamed that it was politically incorrect, or a slight, I just thought it was normal business since I have seen ads in both places myself before.
    6. I have seen people here say they were listing items to sell here first to give first opportunity to members, then they would post it elsewhere if no interest.
    7. Sounded reasonable to me. :dunno: Again, I meant no "non-neighborly" behavior. :cheers:

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I don't recall taking an oath to INGO over other sites? If you are a seller; your responsibility to yourself is to market your product.

Personally, I'd prefer to use this, Gunbroker or the S&W site to buy/sell long before Armslist - though I've had decent luck with purchases on Armslist.

Now, I think what bwframe was getting at is that its polite to offer an items to you INGO "friends" before putting it into the impersonal and little policed Armslist - which you did.

1. I'll have to check those sites if they are better.
    2. I just assumed Armslist was a "Craigslist" for arms sellers for the public and everyone used it.
    3. I have read things on the S/W site when I do searches for info, they would come up.
    4. Since the two you mentioned are both national forums, I wasn't going to mess with shipping any gun. I wanted to sell locally since Indy is a big enough place to market the same, but perhaps they have the same type of isolating a city, like Armslist, and you don't have to deal with shipping.
    5. Just a reminder that I'm such a newbie and don't know. Imagine how surprised I was when realized "Armslist" was a "swear" word. :laugh:
    6. When I did a search, it simply came up, or perhaps someone here told me about them; I don't even remember anymore b/c it didn't seem important. :dunno:
    7. I am in a car club (S2KCA) which evidently broke away from a larger forum of the same (S2KI) a long time ago, but it had happened so long ago that there didn't seem to be much residue friction anymore and people would go to each other's sponsored car events, but some didn't.
    8. I just stayed with my smaller club (though national) when it came to events, but when it came to buying or selling, there were no boundaries and members would advise members if there was something for sale on the other site.
    9. I would put anything I had for sale just on my smaller forum, though, in the same spirit of supporting my club, and only paying dues to my club.
    10. I have marveled on how civil the people on this site have been, there were lots of trolls on both the car sites and they could be really nasty, and I got tired of it after a few years, and stopped posting much, even though I have been to a national event (in KY) and go to a couple of events inside and outside the state and have many wonderful friends there.

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    East of Hoosier45 - West of T-dogg
    4. Since the two you mentioned are both national forums, I wasn't going to mess with shipping any gun. I wanted to sell locally since Indy is a big enough place to market the same, but perhaps they have the same type of isolating a city, like Armslist, and you don't have to deal with shipping.
    5. Just a reminder that I'm such a newbie and don't know. Imagine how surprised I was when realized "Armslist" was a "swear" word. :laugh:

Armslist isn't inherently bad and does have huge exposure; it just has more hazards and caveats than a smaller forum group.

Top Bottom