• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Areoflyer09

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 28, 2017
    Indianapolis
    My experiences with Armslist have been on par with Craigslist. Overall positive with some frustrations. The flakes that go through the effort of a working a deal and then just disappear are irritating. But I don't see an issue with using INGO or Armslist to make the sale.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Follow up about last evening about the person saying they had the money and could we meet.
    After a couple of rounds of texting: nothing.

I told the wife that I had a couple of red flags come up in my mind from his emails and I was going to make sure he had his IN driver's license and permit before I left to meet him.

I thought those of you with Armslist reservations would enjoy that confession. :dunno:
    Nothing of that sort from men here I have dealt with: quick and easy sales, no excuses about anything.

pute62

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 29, 2009
    Lawrence
    Follow up about last evening about the person saying they had the money and could we meet.

I told the wife that I had a couple of red flags come up in my mind from his emails and I was going to make sure he had his IN driver's license and permit before I left to meet him.

I thought those of you with Armslist reservations would enjoy that confession. :dunno:
    Nothing of that sort from men here I have dealt with: quick and easy sales, no excuses about anything.

You're likely to get quite a bit of that on Armslist. I've never had that problem on this site and all the transactions I've done here were always a pleasant experience.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    You're likely to get quite a bit of that on Armslist. I've never had that problem on this site and all the transactions I've done here were always a pleasant experience.

1. I have been warned.
    2. My 1st strange experience on Armlist and I've sold 3-4 guns there, I think.
    3. My experience here has been exemplary.

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    I see a lot of cross posted guns on armslist and ingo. I have noticed that ingo posts are generally discounted compared to the same listing on armslist. I do the same, ingo sales are just smoother and therefore cheaper. Armslist has a lot of go between and a lot of nonsense to wade through.

Dddrees

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2016
    Central

Not familiar with Armslist but when I choose to sell items I stuck specifically to just the one forum I was familiar partially because of this type of thing. It helped that I wasn't in any hurry and didn't specifically need the cash so I could afford to be patient. The other reason I chose not to go with a fee based site like eBay is that I wanted to keep the overhead as small as possible.

But there really are advantages to sticking to a forum where your known, the people your dealing with are known, and transactions tend to be problem free. I think the longest it took me to sell one of my items was about six months but most of the other items sold within a few months. So if you have a reasonable expectation and can afford to be just a bit patient at least that's how I chose to go about it.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Not familiar with Armslist but when I choose to sell items I stuck specifically to just the one forum I was familiar partially because of this type of thing. It helped that I wasn't in any hurry and didn't specifically need the cash so I could afford to be patient. The other reason I chose not to go with a fee based site like eBay is that I wanted to keep the overhead as small as possible.

But there really are advantages to sticking to a forum where your known, the people your dealing with are known, and transactions tend to be problem free. I think the longest it took me to sell one of my items was about six months but most of the other items sold within a few months. So if you have a reasonable expectation and can afford to be just a bit patient at least that's how I chose to go about it.

1. My expectations must be unrealistic since I sell within minutes or at least a day, literally. This Ruger is the excetion and with so many sales going on, people are just going ahead and buying new, which I don't blame them. If I can't get a reasonable price, I will just keep it.
    2. I can't imagine having the patience to wait months to sell an item, surely it is a bigger ticket and/or collectible that narrows the market down quite a bit.
    3. When I go to sell my comic collection left over from when my son and I did it together (over 20 yrs. ago), it will take months b/c of the nature of the beast (unless you want to sell a dime on the dollar, and I want 50 cents on the dollar :laugh:).
    I have all the 1960s Star Trek comics (app. 60ish) and 3 different runs of the Star Wars comics plus some really cool pieces we got from conventions over the years, including a Stat Trek jacket reversible that I never wore buy twice.

4. I do like your patient philosophy about it all.
    5. Since I'm so new and people don't know me is probably why I'm not as focused when it comes to selling, plus, anything I sell is common and many are selling the same as they change over to something else.
    6. The only neat thing I sold was the old police 38 special (10-8 from late 1970s or 1980), but even that is available online by the hundreds.

Dddrees

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2016
    Central
    1. My expectations must be unrealistic since I sell within minutes or at least a day, literally. This Ruger is the excetion and with so many sales going on, people are just going ahead and buying new, which I don't blame them. If I can't get a reasonable price, I will just keep it.
    2. I can't imagine having the patience to wait months to sell an item, surely it is a bigger ticket and/or collectible that narrows the market down quite a bit.
    3. When I go to sell my comic collection left over from when my son and I did it together (over 20 yrs. ago), it will take months b/c of the nature of the beast (unless you want to sell a dime on the dollar, and I want 50 cents on the dollar :laugh:).
    I have all the 1960s Star Trek comics (app. 60ish) and 3 different runs of the Star Wars comics plus some really cool pieces we got from conventions over the years, including a Stat Trek jacket reversible that I never wore buy twice.

4. I do like your patient philosophy about it all.
    5. Since I'm so new and people don't know me is probably why I'm not as focused when it comes to selling, plus, anything I sell is common and many are selling the same as they change over to something else.
    6. The only neat thing I sold was the old police 38 special (10-8 from late 1970s or 1980), but even that is available online by the hundreds.

Well my approach is that I'm selling the item because I no longer want or need the item and it's just taking up space. My concerns are more focused on making sure its an extremely easy transaction. They get what they want and I free up a bit more space. If I'm able to take the money I made and use it for something that I want more than it's even a bigger win for me. But I don't go into it thinking I need to make a sell or expecting to sell it within a certain time frame. I just don't get hung up or stress out about it.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Interesting experience just now.
    The short story is that he sounded young, and I asked him about a gun permit and he didn't have one.
    He didn't have a Driver's License, but an ID.
    There were about 4 red flags that went up.
    I told him he would need to get a gun permit to buy a gun off an individual b/c if not that put the seller at risk.
    And then I said goodbye.

pute62

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 29, 2009
    Lawrence
    Interesting experience just now.
    The short story is that he sounded young, and I asked him about a gun permit and he didn't have one.
    He didn't have a Driver's License, but an ID.
    There were about 4 red flags that went up.
    I told him he would need to get a gun permit to buy a gun off an individual b/c if not that put the seller at risk.
    And then I said goodbye.

I can understand wanting to see a DL and some shops won't sell with just an ID but how does it put the seller at risk by not having a LTCH?

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I can understand wanting to see a DL and some shops won't sell with just an ID but how does it put the seller at risk by not having a LTCH?

1. I wasn't sure about that it was just my excuse to close the conversation
    2. It provides a layer of security, and I wanted that.
    3. But due to 4 red flags: I didn't want to sell to a young, no Driver's license, didn't know some basic directions type of person, no LTCH: wrong profile.

Areoflyer09

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 28, 2017
    Indianapolis

Can't say for sure it's a risk, but having the LTCH would at least confirm that the buyer was legally able to haven a firearm when the LTCH was acquired.

Last edited:

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Catn say for sure it's a risk, but having the LTCH would at least confirm that the buyer was legally able to haven a firearm when the LTCH was acquired.

1. Certainly. That's what I thought and was advised, as well.
    2. I was able to buy a couple of guns before I got my LTCH, but I know one said he went on Facebook to search me.
    3. I told him that was funny b/c you would just find out I'm a religious nut. :laugh:
    4. I would always drop in the email or conversation that I was a 64 yr. old teacher to communicate a boring responsible person :patriot:, or mention how my permit had expired decades ago b/c I stopped everything with a friend moving away.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Thursday night I had another interested party, but no follow up.
    I might have scared him away reminding them that I wanted IN license and permit: which is fine.

Saturday am I had a 7:30 am email that they wanted to buy and when we could meet.
    This is the sort of email I an used to when I sell: no nonsense: just, "do it."
    I was able to respond at 9:30 am (I stayed up to 3 am researching 1911-22 type of guns) but never heard back from them.
    I thought that was going to be the real thing. :dunno:

I had inquired about a Chiappa 1911-22 last night and they responded this am, but after staying up reading reviews I passed on it.
    I'm not familiar with the brand and there were a couple of warnings and recalls out there.
    I'll try to stick with the Walther and Baretta.

Last edited:

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural

You can be as picky as you choose on the trade. The requirement is to not KNOWINGLY sell to a nonresident or felon.

I wouldn't want to speak to age requirements as I have not ran into that as of yet. No reason to look it up.
    Did have a 17 year old INGOer dogging me to bring a 10/22 the two hour drive to him so he could buy it. The sale was never a consideration, due to distance, but his maturity level came into question. That prompted a check of the youth's posts, which turned up a reference to his age.:n00b:

Again, the ability to check a person's post history is paramount. I frequently don't ask for any ID, as long as I "know them" through their INGO posts.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Well, I'm surprised that I've gone through 2 weekends w/o a sale: unusual for me.
    Did I pay too much when I bought it this summer?
    The Ruger LC9 is rated as a very fine small 9mm, so I guess anyone that wants one already had one.
    I have bought even yet another gun (Sig Sauer 1911-22 off someone here) so I really need it less than a week ago. :laugh:
    Perhaps I'll drop the price down to $225 for next weekend.
    We're getting down the price of a 380 now, but perhaps for a small carry, that is what is preferred; I don't know. :dunno:
    Perhaps I'll be keeping a small 9mm after all. :scratch:

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    Well, I'm surprised that I've gone through 2 weekends w/o a sale: unusual for me.
    Did I pay too much when I bought it this summer?
    The Ruger LC9 is rated as a very fine small 9mm, so I guess anyone that wants one already had one.
    I have bought even yet another gun (Sig Sauer 1911-22 off someone here) so I really need it less than a week ago. :laugh:
    Perhaps I'll drop the price down to $225 for next weekend.
    We're getting down the price of a 380 now, but perhaps for a small carry, that is what is preferred; I don't know. :dunno:
    Perhaps I'll be keeping a small 9mm after all. :scratch:

Your ad says that parts were removed and they come in a bag. To me, a very regular used gun buyer, that is a huge red flag. They are also available everywhere and frequently on sale at rural king for only a pittance more than your asking. I am not saying your pistol is not worth what you are asking, but adding up its wide availability and amateur modifications you will be fighting an uphill battle. I have sat on desirable guns for months at a time waiting on the right person to pay the right price. I have also noticed that unless it is followed by precision rifle, rugers will recycle many times over on armslist.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Your ad says that parts were removed and they come in a bag. To me, a very regular used gun buyer, that is a huge red flag. They are also available everywhere and frequently on sale at rural king for only a pittance more than your asking. I am not saying your pistol is not worth what you are asking, but adding up its wide availability and amateur modifications you will be fighting an uphill battle. I have sat on desirable guns for months at a time waiting on the right person to pay the right price. I have also noticed that unless it is followed by precision rifle, rugers will recycle many times over on armslist.

1. I have seen them for $300 new, plus $21 dollars tax = $321 total minus $235 = $86 savings.
    2. It would work for me, but I'm "thrifty." :dunno:
    3. I guess that means I paid too much at $250: bummer, and I thought it was a stellar deal since I had not seen them less expensive last May or June when I bought it.
    4. I didn't realize that modding the LC9 to be more like the LC9 Pro would be a drawback.
    5. I honestly don't know if he did the work or paid a guy at the gunshop to do it.
    6. From listening to him talk and figuring out what was wrong with a new AR type of gun he'd bought, he probably did it himself.
    7. I hear of guys putting in better triggers all the time, and I figured guys working on their guns wasn't brain surgery but simple mechanics and not a problem.
    8. Since the seller used the gun after he modded it the way he wanted, and I have been shooting a few boxful of shells through it, it would seem to minimize the red flags, but I'm sure you have years more experience about this than my 4 months of experience. :laugh:
    9. Well, I planned to put it in for $225 for this weekend, but from what you're saying, perhaps that is not enough: bummer.
    10. I've not sold a gun for less than what I have paid for it in my life. I have been saying since the late 80s, but I realize I started at age 20 which was in 1973, the first year I was married.
    11. I can't believe a Ruger LC9 is going to bring me down. :(

Top Bottom