• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    I normally get my Propane tanks filled at TSC. They have always had the best pricing.

I've been a bit lax on this and find that I have four empties.

Just checking to see if I need to run get these filled quickly for the best pricing or whenever I get around to it?

Yes, I know sooner is better, especially with pandemic scares and terrorists roving the urban areas. Not to mention the cold weather.

Ace Hardware in Greenwood fills 20 lb tanks for $12.99 on Tuesdays.

dsol

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    May 28, 2009
    Jeffersonville
    I just took four empty tanks to UHaul for refills. Two were past date, so two were filled for $28 and some change, the other two I took to Menards and exchanged for $33. Refilling is the way to go, you get the extra 1/4 of the tank you don't get with the exchange and cheaper than the exchange cylinders too. I only exchange when my tanks get rusty or out of date. I assume Blue Rhino or whoever the exchange company is will test and re certify expired out of date tanks. Don't really care to be honest... :)

Anyway, I keep six tanks in rotation, just goofed off and waited too long and had four empties, I usually would refill them when I get two empty. I like having a good supply on hand, just like gasoline for the generator, I want plenty of propane for the grill and smoker in case of an outage. Got a gas stove, furnace and water heater, so we should be good if power is out, but I just like the warm fuzzy feeling of Plans B, C and sometimes D in the background.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    I believe the fill by the gallon method is the most cost effective for the consumer. I was told there is a government spec for maximum that can be put in a tank by companies and a minimum to call it a full tank. The exchange companies use precision filling equipment to fill just slightly over that minimum. Any set price for a refill does not give you credit for any gas remaining in your tank.

WhitleyStu

Keep'em Scary Sharp!!!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 11, 2009
    Whitley County/Allen County
    Years ago I had to go to a Clark fork truck LP carb tuning class. One thing I still remember is they said to open the bleeder screw on the valve and fill tanks till the bleeder "spits" a little liquid. This way you know they are full, not filled by weight.

BroodXI

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 15, 2010
    Salem
    I'm really glad i stumbled upon this thread. I never even gave refill vs exchange a second thought. I'm going to start getting refills now. Imagine that extra little bit of propane can make a world of difference on how rare the steak is.

I would go for refill rather than exchange as the exchange does not give you a full tank. A full tank is almost 5 gallons and refills are typically around 3 to 3.5 for the same price. There should be a sign on the exchange cage that tells you how many gallons are in the tanks. TSC has about an average price, you could find cheaper if you look around but isn't always worth the hassle.

TSC is quite particular about filling tanks. One time I went with three tanks in my trunk and he would only fill two due to 'state law' about only allowing two tanks in an enclosed vehicle. I now use the local grain store for filling my small tanks. I go through about three or four tanks a year on my grill and another tank or so for the portable heater in the barn.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I would go for refill rather than exchange as the exchange does not give you a full tank. A full tank is almost 5 gallons and refills are typically around 3 to 3.5 for the same price. There should be a sign on the exchange cage that tells you how many gallons are in the tanks. TSC has about an average price, you could find cheaper if you look around but isn't always worth the hassle.

TSC is quite particular about filling tanks. One time I went with three tanks in my trunk and he would only fill two due to 'state law' about only allowing two tanks in an enclosed vehicle. I now use the local grain store for filling my small tanks. I go through about three or four tanks a year on my grill and another tank or so for the portable heater in the barn.

Gallons are a terrible metric for propane. That's why pounds are used - it's a (pseudo)unit of mass, i.e. the number of propane molecules. Volume can change based on temperature and pressure.

Besides, how would I verify what you're saying? With mass, I weight it before use, and then after it's empty.

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    I felt like I was getting hosed on propane. Tanks were a pain to haul. I grill all year long and had four tanks in rotation and had another for garage heater. Dumped everything and got a pellet grill. Electric heater for use as needed. Food is better and the Zon drops pellets on my porch.

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    On a hill in Perry C
    I believe the fill by the gallon method is the most cost effective for the consumer. I was told there is a government spec for maximum that can be put in a tank by companies and a minimum to call it a full tank. The exchange companies use precision filling equipment to fill just slightly over that minimum. Any set price for a refill does not give you credit for any gas remaining in your tank.

Yes, there is a maximum amount. Prevents accidental over pressurization. Also leaves room for some vapor to form that most propane devices can actually use. Most tanks of less than 100 lbs have overfill prevention devices, just like when you put gas in a car and the pump automatically shuts off.

Ace Hardware in Greenwood fills 20 lb tanks for $12.99 on Tuesdays.

Fine if the tank is empty, but what if you have half a tank?

Gallons are a terrible metric for propane. That's why pounds are used - it's a (pseudo)unit of mass, i.e. the number of propane molecules. Volume can change based on temperature and pressure.

Besides, how would I verify what you're saying? With mass, I weight it before use, and then after it's empty.

Not really. All the refill places I know of pump liquid and it is a known density. It is once it becomes vapor that pressure and temp come into play. Gallons are used to measure how much you get, then weight is used to determine how full the tank is because there is no way of knowing how much propane is already in the tank and very few regular tanks have a gauge on them. Not really a big deal with small tanks since they have overfill protection, but becomes a big deal with large tanks.

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    On a hill in Perry C
    Years ago I had to go to a Clark fork truck LP carb tuning class. One thing I still remember is they said to open the bleeder screw on the valve and fill tanks till the bleeder "spits" a little liquid. This way you know they are full, not filled by weight.

Fine if you're actually using liquid, but for most uses you want a little space at the top for the vapor to form. Also if the tank is OFPD equipped it won't let you fill them that full. Fork truck tanks aren't equipped with one so you can fill them to the top.
    Good point, though is that if your tank is empty then close the valve before removing the hose. That way the tank doesn't get air and water vapor in it, and will refill more completely. If the valve is left open then the air will need to be bled off during refilling or the OFPD will kick off before it is full, and you're paying for any propane that is wasted during the bleed.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Yes, there is a maximum amount. Prevents accidental over pressurization. Also leaves room for some vapor to form that most propane devices can actually use. Most tanks of less than 100 lbs have overfill prevention devices, just like when you put gas in a car and the pump automatically shuts off.

My main point was that there is a minimum and tanks are just filled to just beyond that by exchange companies. Most folks I know perceive they are getting a max filled tank, not a slightly minimum plus tank at exchange...

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    I always believed that I was getting a full tank when exchanging. Now I know better. The Apophatic way.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Walmart was out of full tanks when I went a couple of days ago, so I'm going to go up to U-haul and see how much it ends up costing me to get my empty one filled. It's $15.96 (including tax) to exchange at Walmart, so it will be interesting to see how much more it is at U-haul. Wish I had a "full" one from Walmart that I could weigh and compare to the one I get filled.

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    Walmart was out of full tanks when I went a couple of days ago, so I'm going to go up to U-haul and see how much it ends up costing me to get my empty one filled. It's $15.96 (including tax) to exchange at Walmart, so it will be interesting to see how much more it is at U-haul. Wish I had a "full" one from Walmart that I could weigh and compare to the one I get filled.

Have you learned nothing from this thread my friend? Argh!

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Have you learned nothing from this thread my friend? Argh!

:p Fine. Out of exhangeable tanks. Anywhooo... $13.90 for 3.5 gallons at U-haul to fill my tank. And while I don't have a way to know for sure, it did seem a little heavier than the typical exchange tank when new. I'm sold on refilling I think. And U-haul is closer to my house too. :yesway:

BobDaniels

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Boone Co

not sure about your area, but every time I've filled my grill tanks and the tank in my yard, I pay by the gallon. I pass the time by watching the gallon meter go round and round.

Last edited:
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    On a hill in Perry C
    :p Fine. Out of exhangeable tanks. Anywhooo... $13.90 for 3.5 gallons at U-haul to fill my tank. And while I don't have a way to know for sure, it did seem a little heavier than the typical exchange tank when new. I'm sold on refilling I think. And U-haul is closer to my house too. :yesway:

Damn, propane is expensive up there in Canada! It's $2.59/gal down here in the southern woods. Oh, wait a minute, I forgot to convert to Canuckistan dollars. :abused:

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I just took four empty tanks to UHaul for refills. Two were past date, so two were filled for $28 and some change, the other two I took to Menards and exchanged for $33. Refilling is the way to go, you get the extra 1/4 of the tank you don't get with the exchange and cheaper than the exchange cylinders too. I only exchange when my tanks get rusty or out of date. I assume Blue Rhino or whoever the exchange company is will test and re certify expired out of date tanks. Don't really care to be honest... :)

Anyway, I keep six tanks in rotation, just goofed off and waited too long and had four empties, I usually would refill them when I get two empty. I like having a good supply on hand, just like gasoline for the generator, I want plenty of propane for the grill and smoker in case of an outage. Got a gas stove, furnace and water heater, so we should be good if power is out, but I just like the warm fuzzy feeling of Plans B, C and sometimes D in the background.

I ran into this just the other day when I went back to U-Haul to have another tank refilled. They wouldn't fill it because the date on the tank was 07/10 and the U-Haul guy said they are only good for 10 years and I would have to go exchange mine. Are they ever re-certified? I went to Walmart and exchanged it, but the tank they gave me was even older - dated 06/07. :n00b: So now presumably I'll have to exchange that one too when it runs out.

Top Bottom