• ...and so much more!
  • 2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    Where I get mine it is over 4 gallons and they use a scale to fill them to 20 lbs.

It could be that some places atr charging you for the tare.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Where I get mine it is over 4 gallons and they use a scale to fill them to 20 lbs.

It could be that some places atr charging you for the tare.

UHaul doesn't weigh them. They just fill it until the pump shuts off, kinda like filling a car at a gas pump, which is why I wondered if maybe it was some kind of "safety" shut off - like when it hits a certain pressure or something.

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    On a hill in Perry C
    UHaul doesn't weigh them. They just fill it until the pump shuts off, kinda like filling a car at a gas pump, which is why I wondered if maybe it was some kind of "safety" shut off - like when it hits a certain pressure or something.

20 pounders (also most 30 and 40 lb tanks) have a over fill prevention device on them. If you're only getting 3.8 gallons then either the OPD is messed up, their pump is shutting off early, or your tanks aren't completely empty. Since they aren't weighing them, my WAG is they've got the pump set to shut off at a lower pressure as a safety measure. A completely empty 20 lb tank will take 4.5-4.7 gallons. The big 100 lb tanks don't have a OPD, those really need to filled by weight because if you don't it is possible to fill one until the pressure relief valve pops, and things can get real interesting, real fast.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    So where to buy an empty brand new manufacture propane tank so I can start refilling? (2019 DOM or newer, prefer 2020 since we are so late)

I've got two tanks I rotate through exchange. Both are near the 6 year recert limit. Just swapped one and it only has 1 year left before recert is required, so not much better.

Since the swap boxes seem to run them close to the edge, I want to find a brand new one to buy so I can start fresh and leave the refill cycle behind. Its obvious that I'm not going to find a cylinder with good life unless I buy brand new.

Suggestions?

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    So where to buy an empty brand new manufacture propane tank so I can start refilling? (2019 DOM or newer, prefer 2020 since we are so late)

I've got two tanks I rotate through exchange. Both are near the 6 year recert limit. Just swapped one and it only has 1 year left before recert is required, so not much better.

Since the swap boxes seem to run them close to the edge, I want to find a brand new one to buy so I can start fresh and leave the refill cycle behind. Its obvious that I'm not going to find a cylinder with good life unless I buy brand new.

Suggestions?

I couldn't swear to it, but I thought I saw new tanks in Uhaul. I don't think they sell them pre-filled (at least not that I've noticed), but it might be worth giving them a call. This was the one at Hanna and 31 where I thought I saw them. I may be imagining it though. :):

dprimm

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 13, 2013
    Just West of Indianapolis

Suggestions?

anyplace that has grills will have them. Lowe’s. Ace. Etc.

MindfulMan

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 14, 2016
    Indiana
    I couldn't swear to it, but I thought I saw new tanks in Uhaul. I don't think they sell them pre-filled (at least not that I've noticed), but it might be worth giving them a call. This was the one at Hanna and 31 where I thought I saw them. I may be imagining it though. :):

You didn't imagine it, DD ......I bought a new one there just a couple of years ago.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I've got two tanks that need replacing. Wonder if it's worth studying up on how to read the expiration dates?

I normally exchange bad tanks at Menards. Read somewhere that they have better than other's exchange pricing? Wonder if I should attempt to pick better dates when exchanging?

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central

Suggestions?

Costco, though my memory says in the spring...

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    I've got two tanks that need replacing. Wonder if it's worth studying up on how to read the expiration dates?

I normally exchange bad tanks at Menards. Read somewhere that they have better than other's exchange pricing? Wonder if I should attempt to pick better dates when exchanging?

THIS! I exchange my out of date tanks and will only take a tank with a good date.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy

"A propane tank’s date of manufacture or requalification date can be found stamped onto its collar. It will be in a month-year format — for instance, 06-17 for June 2017. Tanks that have been requalified will have an E on the end of the date."

https://fosterfuels.com/blog/what-does-my-propane-tanks-expiration-date-really-mean/

So a tank that has been re-certified will have a second date in MM/YY format, followed by an E. For example, if a tank was recertified in August of 2019, it will have 08-19E in addition to the original date of manufacture.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    "A propane tank’s date of manufacture or requalification date can be found stamped onto its collar. It will be in a month-year format — for instance, 06-17 for June 2017. Tanks that have been requalified will have an E on the end of the date."

https://fosterfuels.com/blog/what-does-my-propane-tanks-expiration-date-really-mean/

So a tank that has been re-certified will have a second date in MM/YY format, followed by an E. For example, if a tank was recertified in August of 2019, it will have 08-19E in addition to the original date of manufacture.

*Searches Harbor Freight for an appropriate size/font number and "E" letter punch*

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    One of the tanks I need to replace has a leaky seal. They were just recently filled, so the seal has gone away from end of heating season last year to filling a couple weeks ago. It gives testament to checking your connections with soapy water.

I'm thinking of numbering the tanks to keep track of what is up with them. It'd be good to know if the leaky tank and the other one close to expiration date came from Menards exchange, just last year. :scratch: Maybe I'll note all of the dates to stay ahead of expirations? I've been told one of the gas companies locally will recertify tanks, but have yet to investigate.

I the meantime, I now have a full tank, with a leaky seal. :xmad:

Last edited:

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I forgot to ask about the new tanks at Uhaul yesterday. See, there was this little smokin' hot blonde behind the counter and I um... got distracted. :):

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I forgot to ask about the new tanks at Uhaul yesterday. See, there was this little smokin' hot blonde behind the counter and I um... got distracted. :):
    You need better standards. Brittany is cute, but not THAT hot. Want her number? :): (J/K I dont have it anymore. Back when I had trouble getting a hitch installed there due to management incompetence, she gave me her cell to reach the office since they dont answer their desk phones. Oh, and she doesnt answer her texts, so the whole lot of them are worthless IMHO)

But no worries. I figured out Lowes and TSC both have them.

Top Bottom