• ...and so much more!
  • Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    I heard the lifetime LTNHSQWTCOTO is going away.

This is not an argument for or against anything, I'm just passing along info... My state rep sent out a survey a few weeks ago that had a question about constitutional carry on it. Today, since I was one of the people that filled it out and returned it, I received the results. Every question had results that divided 50-50, 40-30-30, etc. except the constitutional carry question, it was 80-20 against. This is in Hamilton county, pretty much the reddest county in the state. With results like those it isn't hard to figure out why they don't have the guts to pass it.

Cause everyone thinks it's allowing felons to carry.
    When it's not.
    Perception matters.

I was talking to a judge yesterday and asked him if he'd been following the legislative session. He had not, and our conversation had turned in the direction of people needing to stand up for themselves, so I asked him about 1071, which I briefly described. His first comment was that felons would use it to carry, and I corrected that misconception immediately. We got interrupted and I didn't hear any more on the subject from him, sadly.

I suppose I can't expect someone to follow such things, or to follow them on the subjects we consider important, just because their job brings them into contact with the criminal element more often than most of us, but when that's where the mind of a man whose job it is to remain impartial goes first, I have to agree with Act... Perception matters.
    The victims of abuse need this to pass. That's my primary motivation in backing 1071, however, I also want to see it amended to include HB 1159, or to send that topic to summer study, in that order of preference. Senator Bray has my note, as does my own senator. They'll be getting more as well.

Blessings,
    Bill

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    I heard the lifetime LTNHSQWTCOTO is going away.

This is not an argument for or against anything, I'm just passing along info... My state rep sent out a survey a few weeks ago that had a question about constitutional carry on it. Today, since I was one of the people that filled it out and returned it, I received the results. Every question had results that divided 50-50, 40-30-30, etc. except the constitutional carry question, it was 80-20 against. This is in Hamilton county, pretty much the reddest county in the state. With results like those it isn't hard to figure out why they don't have the guts to pass it.

We have a lot of work to do here. This is why CC heading for a summer study is a victory.

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    I have a lifetime LTCH, I'll still be glad to have it even if it's no longer necessary as I forget my wallet quiet often and worry about what an interaction might entail.

I want more people to carry, It needs to be normalized in our culture again.

KellyinAvon

Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    I think the point of going to summer study is to examine CC in terms of JFC. :rockwoot: :alright: :rockwoot:

CC = OC < JFC

I think you need a few parenthesis in your equation Bill, maybe the "IF" function from Excel :D As long as we're moving the ball in the right direction we're getting closer to the goal. CC = Constitutional Carry; cc = concealed carry, or cubic centimeter, carbon copy... let it be known CC (in caps) = Constitutional Carry: CC=OC+cc+JFC (new math!!)

tcecil88

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 18, 2013
    @ the corner of IN, KY & OH.
    Well, I have a lifetime LTCH and I've very much in favor of constitutional carry.
    My wife will be able to legally carry, and I can choose to get her Larry when going to states that honor our permits.

I feel the same way. I have my Lifetime LTCH and my wife does too. But my son and daughter wouldn't have to as well as countless others. If you want to carry out of state, then by all means, go through the LTCH process.

AmmoManAaron

Master
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Feb 20, 2015
    I-get-around
    Unfortunately, according to the link post by the OP to American Gun Owners Alliance they are against HB 1095. I'm not sure why since it actually eases a restriction. HB 1095's purpose to put Indiana's definition of "armor piercing" in line with the ATF. As it stands now in Indiana HyTek coated, powder coated and any other modern coating that uses a polymer to coat the bullet is outlawed due to the current flawed definition of armor piercing. The proposed bill looks to remove that restriction. Here's the link to the proposed bill https://iga.in.gov/legislative/2017/bills/house/1095#document-e1cd2cf5. Read the entire bill, it's only 2 pages and you will see there is nothing in there about plastic coatings in the armor piercing definition. This bill would put Indiana's definition the same as the AFT's and remove a restriction.

I guess the confusion is coming from the bill's very poorly worded synopsis that has "Plastic-coated ammunition." as the first 3 words. :dunno:

No, I'm doing a write up for HB 1095, it's a bad law and will hurt collectors and shooters. The Indiana law doesn't have a grandfather clause. The Fed law only applies to manufacture and import - possession and sale are OK. AP ammo that's already here is legal under Federal law but would be illegal under HB 1095. If they want to do something responsible, just repeal the existing Indiana law and leave it at that.

There is still a fair bit of WWI and WWII German steel core 9mm ammo floating around in collecting circles since almost all German 9mm military ammo was steel core. It's nice to have period ammo for display with your Luger or P-38. This bill would hurt collectors.

On the shooting side, there has been gobs of steel core surplus imported over the decades prior to the Fed ban. A lot of this still turns up and gunshows and estate sales, but most of the time the sellers at shows and bidders at auctions don't even know what they have becauase it's not labeled as AP on the original packaging. It was just "ball" ammo to the various military users since the steel core was primarily intended a cost saving measure (steel is cheaper and more easily sourced than lead). This law would turn a lot of unknowing collectors and shooters into criminals.

Some common ammo that I see that would be illegal and create criminals out of unknowing citizens:
    Czech, Swedish, and Yugo 9mm steel core
    Russian, Chinese, Czech, and Yugo 7.62x25 steel core
    Chinese and East German 7.62x39 steel core

Most surplus 7.62x25 is steel core, so just about anything imported prior to the Fed ban would be illegal under this new Indiana law. I'm doing a better and longer write-up opposing HB 1095, but this is the quick and dirty version.

The above is just the more common stuff, I have far more examples of less common items in my ammo collection. Things like KTW cartridges and the like are now solely in the realm of collectors because of the manufacturing ban. A single pack of KTW often sells for $100 or more - gang bangers, car jackers, and such aren't buying or using this stuff because they don't know it exists and probably wouldn't care anyway. Books for collectors have been written on this subject, including rarity and values for the items.

Last edited:

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    I think you need a few parenthesis in your equation Bill, maybe the "IF" function from Excel :D As long as we're moving the ball in the right direction we're getting closer to the goal. CC = Constitutional Carry; cc = concealed carry, or cubic centimeter, carbon copy... let it be known CC (in caps) = Constitutional Carry: CC=OC+cc+JFC (new math!!)

With respect, I must disagree. You've placed the abbreviation for "open carry" in caps, just as Constitutional carry is, while concealed carry is relegated to lower case. Your equation is fine, but your variables need better declaration and definition.

Perhaps either CC=cc+oc+jfc or CC=Cc+Oc+JFc would do what you want, but my earlier equation equating cc and oc, and defining jfc as greater than either, was erroneous. I believe the corrected version would be that oc+cc=jfc=CC, given that variable 1 "oc" plus variable 2 "cc" together comprise all lawful carry, which thus would be variable 3, "jfc" and when all may lawfully carry, that is equivalent to variable 4, "CC".

And while we're discussing this, a small visual test comes to mind

C C C C C C C C C C C C C C C C C C C C
    C C C O C C C C C C C C C C C C C C C C

Blessings,
    Bill

Floivanus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 6, 2016
    La crosse
    OP sounds like all those people who are against getting rid of hughes cuz 'I got mine already, I paid good money, why isn't my investment secure'.

I'm against constitutional carry because it lets criminals carry is a BS reason to not have it pass; criminals already carry, and if found with a gun usually get off scott free

KellyinAvon

Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    With respect, I must disagree. You've placed the abbreviation for "open carry" in caps, just as Constitutional carry is, while concealed carry is relegated to lower case. Your equation is fine, but your variables need better declaration and definition.

Perhaps either CC=cc+oc+jfc or CC=Cc+Oc+JFc would do what you want, but my earlier equation equating cc and oc, and defining jfc as greater than either, was erroneous. I believe the corrected version would be that oc+cc=jfc=CC, given that variable 1 "oc" plus variable 2 "cc" together comprise all lawful carry, which thus would be variable 3, "jfc" and when all may lawfully carry, that is equivalent to variable 4, "CC".

And while we're discussing this, a small visual test comes to mind

C C C O C C C C C C C C C C C C C C C C

Blessings,
    Bill

I think we need a factor to estimate Total Carry Potential (TCP) by estimating Potential Handgun Carriers (PHC). What percentage of non-prohibited persons (NPP) who do not possess an LTCH will carry after CC? PHC = NPP - (OC+CC). NPP multiplied by the PHC factor plus (OC+CC) = TCP.

Considering we don't know how many current LTCH holders carry or how often? I don't think anyone can prove us wrong! :rockwoot:

Top Bottom