• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • In urban warfare which of these two SMG's would you want?

• Total voters

malern28us

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 26, 2009
    Huntington, Indiana
    I probably am not as experienced as everyone here. I personally would take the ps90. I know the ps90 was developed as a defensive round and having 50 rounds available is the deciding factor. I also know that the ps90, with the right ammo, will defeat body armor. We all know that not just the 'good guys' have access to body armor.

t413

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 3, 2010
    NE IN
    If SHTF 5.7 is going to be hard to find

So when SHTF, where are all these resupply depots that you plan to go to when you run out of ammo? :popcorn:

For some reason, people think that when SHTF they will be resupplied with all the ammo and food they can handle......

For me, when SHTF, I will take the PS90 because I will have to assume the "worst case scenario" which is that I will NEVER be resupplied.
    So whatever ammo I have with me is what I will have for the rest of my life. :twocents:

LPPOsecurity

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 19, 2010
    NWI
    Without owning either I go with the Kriss just for the ammo, I've heard better things about the PS90, but at the end of the day in a SHTF situation I'll take my Draco and stockpile of 7.62

Hexa-Tula

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 12, 2010
    Bluffton
    Kriss Super-V. I think that the PS90 just wouldn't do the job on stopping power. That 5.7 is just too small and too fast. It would just push straight on through you. The .45 ACP will put you down. The Kriss is in my opinion superior. 2 round burst at1200 rounds a minute will stop you quick fast and in a hurry.

glocktoys

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    83   0   0
    May 12, 2008
    mishawaka, up north
    if there is that many problems maybe a kriss is off my list, i have a glock 21 and a suppressor so thought a kriss would be a good partner as a sbr but not going to spend that kind of money for a gun that malfunctions. maybe a ak or if i can find another .45 carbine to suppress

hotfarmboy1

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    Madison County
    if there is that many problems maybe a kriss is off my list, i have a glock 21 and a suppressor so thought a kriss would be a good partner as a sbr but not going to spend that kind of money for a gun that malfunctions. maybe a ak or if i can find another .45 carbine to suppress

Well there are the Mac copies made by Masterpiece Arms.

Masterpiece Arms .45 Cal Rifle

If I didn't pick up my Marlin Camp 45 I would of been looking at one of these. I may of found a place to integrally suppress my camp 45 as well. So I may just run it if I want a pistol cal carbine. Otherwise I'll take my M4 style AR, or the AK I wanna get in the future.

Out of the choices in the OP I went with the Kriss.

BulkAmmo

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 20, 2010
    PS90

While I like the idea of the Kriss. I'm not convinced the platform will function as flawlessly I would like. I haven't heard any real complaints about the reliability of the PS90. If you go the SBR route the FN is so compact. Add a suppressor and and you have a very tough package to beat.

50 rounds plus another 50 rounder mag clipped. While the .45 acp is a better performer. In a real SHTF situation you will do one of two things. Take well placed aimed shots - at which time the caliber difference while still important, less so. Or you will be spraying bullets - where a larger mag and rounds per pound work in your favor. :)

Just get the one that fits you best and you want the most. Between those 2 the PS90 to me is a better deal.

SemperFiUSMC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2009
    Help me decide which one to buy. If you are going to do battle in an urban setting which one of these two civilian versions would you want

I disagree with the premise of the question. Why are you going to do battle in an urban setting? Are you going to enlist in the military? Don't worry, they'll provide you a fine weapon to use.

For SHTF situations, if you get into a firefight with a bunch of bad guys you'll die. Forget your tactikewl mall ninga warrior rod. Get the hell out of dodge most ricky tick. Vectors are friggin handguns. Why do you want to engage an enemy with a friggin handgun? Because it looks cool? someone with an old Winchester singleshot 22 can kill you from a hundred yards away. The Kriss won't even launch a rock that far, will it? And the PS90, while a nice weapon, can't easily be made to go rata tata tata tat like a good old M16, er, AR15 can.

At any rate, the last thing you want to do is get into a gunfight. If you do, you want a suppressed 308. SBD.

Prometheus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    I disagree with the premise of the question. Why are you going to do battle in an urban setting? Are you going to enlist in the military? Don't worry, they'll provide you a fine weapon to use.
    Zombies. Nuff said.
    Vectors are friggin handguns.
    This ^
    And the PS90, while a nice weapon, can't easily be made to go rata tata tata tat like a good old M16, er, AR15 can.
    Not sure I follow, while fullauto is cool and the gang, it's not the super-dooper-ness it's made out to be.

The PS90 has an extremely high ROF, there is one vid posted here on INGO where a few members asked if FullAuto's PS90 was fullauto.... it's not.

I really like the PS90 for a number of reasons and I'd take it over any other carbine for room to room work. Personally, I'd rather use fragmentation grenades, but alas, I abide by the law. This is going to thread derail where I would say I'd rather have my S-12 for room to room work, assuming I was using a longarm, so I'd better stop.

The PS90 is going to allow you to transition from CQC to 150 meters without issue. Urban, to me anyway, is point blank to about 150 meters.

A PS90 and 6 spare mags is 350 rounds. That's a lot of zombies.

As far as a caliber debate? Worthless for this discussion. PS90 wins out in capacity ability to carry more, distance and everything else.

"Stopping power"? Please. Useless psychobabble from people with zero real life experience in death and survival. I've got over a decade in people with gun shots, when it comes to pistols, two words: Shot Placement.... if even then. Stopping power is for rifle cartridges. The kriss is an over grown handgun. At that point we are talking about shot placement and again, the PS90 wins as a tac driver as well.

All the way down the line, in every category, the PS90 is the clear winner.

Feel free to close the thread as the final word has been typed:
    Word.

The Keymaster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 12, 2010
    Manistee County, MI
    Zombies. Nuff said.
    This ^
    Not sure I follow, while fullauto is cool and the gang, it's not the super-dooper-ness it's made out to be.

The PS90 has an extremely high ROF, there is one vid posted here on INGO where a few members asked if FullAuto's PS90 was fullauto.... it's not.

I really like the PS90 for a number of reasons and I'd take it over any other carbine for room to room work. Personally, I'd rather use fragmentation grenades, but alas, I abide by the law. This is going to thread derail where I would say I'd rather have my S-12 for room to room work, assuming I was using a longarm, so I'd better stop.

The PS90 is going to allow you to transition from CQC to 150 meters without issue. Urban, to me anyway, is point blank to about 150 meters.

A PS90 and 6 spare mags is 350 rounds. That's a lot of zombies.

As far as a caliber debate? Worthless for this discussion. PS90 wins out in capacity ability to carry more, distance and everything else.

"Stopping power"? Please. Useless psychobabble from people with zero real life experience in death and survival. I've got over a decade in people with gun shots, when it comes to pistols, two words: Shot Placement.... if even then. Stopping power is for rifle cartridges. The kriss is an over grown handgun. At that point we are talking about shot placement and again, the PS90 wins as a tac driver as well.

All the way down the line, in every category, the PS90 is the clear winner.

Feel free to close the thread as the final word has been typed:
    Word.

That about says it all.:+1:

MilitaryArms

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2008
    I'm going to have to disagree with you brother.

The world is more unstable now than it was during the Cold War. Multiple economies are nearly collapsed, our own is in its own death throws. Our politicians are doing absolutely nothing to correct it before the final crash comes, and every economist worth his salt is saying it will in fact come. It's not a matter of "if", it's a matter of "when". In a couple of years our country will be officially insolvent and at that point our dollar will be worth less than the Mexican Peso in the 1980's.

That tends to cause civil unrest.

Planning to defend ones home and family is prudent in these times, so I see nothing wrong with thinking ahead and taking proactive action "just in case". If you don't see the value of being prepared, that's fine. But I wouldn't give someone else a hard time for taking reasonable measures to prepare themselves.

For SHTF situations, if you get into a firefight with a bunch of bad guys you'll die. Forget your tactikewl mall ninga warrior rod. Get the hell out of dodge most ricky tick.
    I will however agree that if you plan on standing toe to toe with a gang of thugs, you're eventually going to lose. But that's another disussion.

Vectors are friggin handguns. Why do you want to engage an enemy with a friggin handgun? Because it looks cool? someone with an old Winchester singleshot 22 can kill you from a hundred yards away. The Kriss won't even launch a rock that far, will it?
    Worse, the Kriss is a novelty... one which I wouldn't trust my life to. It's horribly unreliable and is more of a range toy than a serious firearm. Even if the factory could get mine running 100%, it's so unstable I wouldn't trust it for any length of time to remain working properly, certainly not well enough for me to trust my life to.

And the PS90, while a nice weapon, can't easily be made to go rata tata tata tat like a good old M16, er, AR15 can.
    If you pick up a dropped M16, the PS90 makes a good back-up or companion weapon, especially an SBR like mine. Honestly though, as Prometheus points out, full-auto fire for an individual is overrated and aimed controlled fire will serve you much better. Let's not mention that ammo will be something you want to conserve, not waste making noise. Well all know Zombies are drawn to noise anyway.

It's also ill-advised to take a perfectly functioning AR15 and jerry-rigging it to fire full-auto. Such backyard modifications rarely work well and if you find the proper components laying around on the street, they'll likely be attached to a functioning M16. Why part out a properly made M16 and attempt some half-assed conversion that won't be easy and the results will likely be less than desirable?

Let's not mention that even if we go through a short period of civil unrest, order will eventually be restored. If you run around shooting people with an unregistered machinegun, you might find yourself on the wrong side of the law even if your shootings are justified.

Of the two weapons the OP asks about, the PS90 is by far the best built, more reliable and most versatile of the two.

MilitaryArms

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2008
    in an urban SHTF situation, go with the ak47 ftw! :)

great capacity, decent ballistics, cheap and plentiful ammo and uber reliability.
    I'm a huge fan of the AK rifles, I own more of them now than I do AR's I think... I'll have to count.

But to think the AK is the ultimate in reliability... not always. :) I've dunked them in mud, sand, and ran them for years without cleaning them (well, one anyway). While they are probably the most reliable rifle out there under the widest variety of conditions, the AR15 isn't any slouch. The AR does require more maintenance though... and that's one of the reasons I love AK's... cleaning is optional, or years. :)

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CqRwx4wtmms"]YouTube - AR vs. AK dirt/dust test[/ame]

There's a demonstration of what I'm talking about.

Now, keep that safety on and things would be different. But I'm not sharing the video as a slam on the AK as much as I am showing that the AR is a very good system, one I would trust my life to without hesitation.

Top Bottom