• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Shadow01

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2011
    WCIn
    I have a SR762, SKS, Springfield .45, and a 9mm all with over 1k rounds each. A 12 gauge with 200 rounds. 4 .22 rifles that were hand me downs from family and 500 rounds for them. They are quite capable of hunting both 4 legged and 2 legged creatures. My wife prefers the SKS and the .45 because it fits her hand better.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2022
    Columbia City, IN
    So, I've got a concept in mind and I want to see what other people would think. Let's say you were thinking things were about to get tough where for whatever reason your beloved family was going to need a gun for food and a layer of home defense. The idea being that your family knows how to use guns as tools, but isn't the gun nutt of the family searching through internet survival forums like you likely are now. If they had a gun it'd probably have a half empty box of ammo "somewhere" and maybe two other whole boxes. What would you arm your family & loved ones with and why.

For me my mind immediately drifts away from AR's & AK's and I start thinking about a bolt action 308. Then I get questioning a bolt action because it'd likely need a scope and if you're handing these out then they're not likely to maintain the zero and keep that running so the bolt action goes out pretty quick. Then I start thinking about a simple shotgun, but that doesn't do much good when there's a deer 125 yards out and now is the time to take the shot. Then I start thinking about a lever action and that's got a solid ability throw lead fast, top off as you go and in the right caliber takes that same deer at 125 yards out if need be.

It's a mental war gaming exercise and I'm curious if you guys ever think through these scenarios and if so what do you think of the one above?
    12 Gauge shotgun. Its the most effective option round for round of handgun, carbine, etc. with proper ammunition like OO Buck with Federal Flite Control it has a adequate defensive range, impressive accuracy and devastating terminal ballistics.

cg21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    12 Gauge shotgun. Its the most effective option round for round of handgun, carbine, etc. with proper ammunition like OO Buck with Federal Flite Control it has a adequate defensive range, impressive accuracy and devastating terminal ballistics.
    Depends on the intended user. But would agree it’s the most versatile of all options. Small game big game defense animals in trees animals in the air on water etc etc lol

randyb

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    In answer to your question I do not think a 'one size fits all" answer would fit. For my gun wise/elderly, I would look at a Pistol Carbine like the rugers in 9mm with Glock mags. Shotguns for those who are comfortable with recoil and the dynamics/limits on ammo capacity. Youngsters 10-22, or the same pistol carbine would be an option. Lever guns in pistol (.44 mag) and 30-30 would be a good choice as well. I would avoid bolt guns and high power scopes. Too little risk of a threat being more than a few yards away.

1nderbeard

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Apr 3, 2017
    Hendricks County
    just expanding a thought here....
    A lever gun is an old design. Old design doesn't mean reliable. If an end of days scenario were to present, would you pick a rifle with dozens of screws of different sizes and interlocking parts? It isn't hard to jam a lever gun. They wouldn't be on my list for rugged, dependable rifles.

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    Did you even read post #1?

Let's say you were thinking things were about to get tough where for whatever reason your beloved family was going to need a gun for food and a layer of home defense.

I don't believe he is talking about a gun for each and every family member.
    How do you "arm the family" with "a gun?"

I suppose it could be a crew-served gun.

Let 'er rip, Billy!

:):

familygun.jpg

Mij

Permaplinker (thanks to Expat)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    A lever gun is an old design. Old design doesn't mean reliable. If an end of days scenario were to present, would you pick a rifle with dozens of screws of different sizes and interlocking parts? It isn't hard to jam a lever gun. They wouldn't be on my list for rugged, dependable rifles.
    Some old cojer, copper cotter no cooper that’s it, some ol codger named cooper said the lever action gun was a fine rifle for defense, but he probably didn’t know what he was talking about. But he was also a fan of the M1 Garand and the 1911.

Apply purple where needed.

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    Some old cojer, copper cotter no cooper that’s it, some ol codger named cooper said the lever action gun was a fine rifle for defense, but he probably didn’t know what he was talking about.

Maybe he didn't. Did he run tactical courses with lever actions? Put a thousand rounds through one? Did he choose a lever gun as his personal defensive long gun?

Goodcat

From a place you cannot see…
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    152   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    New Pal
    Sorry…. But what!? A scoped .308 would lose zero? Don’t buy optics or mounts that lose zero. Equip your family ahead of time with the knowledge and train them with firearms you may outfit them with during a time of distress. Teach fundamentals and advanced training when necessary on the platforms they may use. Teach ballistic fundamentals. What are you talking about?

Mij

Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    Some old cojer, copper cotter no cooper that’s it, some ol codger named cooper said the lever action gun was a fine rifle for defense, but he probably didn’t know what he was talking about. But he was also a fan of the M1 Garand and the 1911.

Apply purple where needed.

Maybe he didn't. Did he run tactical courses with lever actions? Put a thousand rounds through one? Did he choose a lever gun as his personal defensive long gun?
    I went ahead and put my entire quote in there.

Don’t know what courses he ran to come to his conclusion, just know what I read in his writing during his development of his scout rifle. And what attributes he thought were beneficial. He definitely said it, I definitely read it. And I respect his opinion. If you don’t agree that’s fine, this is America after all and you have that right. That’s all I have to say about it. Take it or leave it as you see fit.

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out

I would pick something that wouldn't fail as soon as a detent went to hell.... and grenades.... lots and lots of grenades. The pineapple variety.

Last edited:

1nderbeard

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Apr 3, 2017
    Hendricks County

that's the article I was thinking of when I made the original comment. I'd pick an old bolt gun over an old lever gun personally. Rate of action is comparable.
    Modern bolt guns can be mag fed. Takes capacity out of the problems.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Have some guns and ammo for everybody at home and get them experienced in using them whatever they are. Past that, the number of variables makes it hard to plan.

Mij

Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    that's the article I was thinking of when I made the original comment. I'd pick an old bolt gun over an old lever gun personally. Rate of action is comparable.
    Modern bolt guns can be mag fed. Takes capacity out of the problems.
    There are mag fed lever guns i believe, if that’s your cup o tea. Just repeating what a well respected gun writer said.

Top Bottom