• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gmcnickle

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 11, 2015
    United States
    So, I've got a concept in mind and I want to see what other people would think. Let's say you were thinking things were about to get tough where for whatever reason your beloved family was going to need a gun for food and a layer of home defense. The idea being that your family knows how to use guns as tools, but isn't the gun nutt of the family searching through internet survival forums like you likely are now. If they had a gun it'd probably have a half empty box of ammo "somewhere" and maybe two other whole boxes. What would you arm your family & loved ones with and why.

For me my mind immediately drifts away from AR's & AK's and I start thinking about a bolt action 308. Then I get questioning a bolt action because it'd likely need a scope and if you're handing these out then they're not likely to maintain the zero and keep that running so the bolt action goes out pretty quick. Then I start thinking about a simple shotgun, but that doesn't do much good when there's a deer 125 yards out and now is the time to take the shot. Then I start thinking about a lever action and that's got a solid ability throw lead fast, top off as you go and in the right caliber takes that same deer at 125 yards out if need be.

It's a mental war gaming exercise and I'm curious if you guys ever think through these scenarios and if so what do you think of the one above?

I think you are looking at this the wrong way. Train your family on the fundamentals across a variety of platforms and train them often. Then it won't matter what gun they use.

"tool level" knowledge of firearms is not enough to keep them safe. They need to be not only familiar, but competent, and that only comes with practice and training. The more dangerous the times, the more true this becomes.

cbvet

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 15, 2018
    Knox
    So, I've got a concept in mind and I want to see what other people would think. Let's say you were thinking things were about to get tough where for whatever reason your beloved family was going to need a gun for food and a layer of home defense. The idea being that your family knows how to use guns as tools, but isn't the gun nutt of the family searching through internet survival forums like you likely are now. If they had a gun it'd probably have a half empty box of ammo "somewhere" and maybe two other whole boxes. What would you arm your family & loved ones with and why.

For me my mind immediately drifts away from AR's & AK's and I start thinking about a bolt action 308. Then I get questioning a bolt action because it'd likely need a scope and if you're handing these out then they're not likely to maintain the zero and keep that running so the bolt action goes out pretty quick. Then I start thinking about a simple shotgun, but that doesn't do much good when there's a deer 125 yards out and now is the time to take the shot. Then I start thinking about a lever action and that's got a solid ability throw lead fast, top off as you go and in the right caliber takes that same deer at 125 yards out if need be.

It's a mental war gaming exercise and I'm curious if you guys ever think through these scenarios and if so what do you think of the one above?
    We go with M1 carbines all around.
    Light, short, and little recoil.

indydave

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    camby
    Folks, some of the replies are hillariously funny

our herd/group thought about this alot years ago as our herd is pretty onboard and consistent
    So 556/223 7.62/308 9mm and 12 ga and 22LR as most of these will be battleground pick ups and as most will be using these calibers
    (NG, reg military and law enforcement)

For immediate family and friends that think ahead and are participating in common defense
    AR`s or M14 pattern or derivatives glocks or P80 builds and 870/ 500 mossberg
    a handfull of long range stuff 308,30-06,300wm
    and ONLY folks that have demonstrated 1/2 MOA at distance get those.

we do reload and we can breakdown oddball rounds and reuse components in a pinch Plus cast if need be

for the handful that never wanted to prep then SKS and mosin nagants and limited ammo

there are a small smattering of oddball stuff that have its usefulness as tools/arming non combatants
    10mm 44mag 45 acp 410 38/357 no 40s&W as it is trade fodder or in a pinch shot out of 10mm

for us, the exotics are not plentiful 6mm ARC,300BO and such are just not viable

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2022
    Columbia City, IN
    Depends on the intended user. But would agree it’s the most versatile of all options. Small game big game defense animals in trees animals in the air on water etc etc lol
    True. Although, my company has been able to teach delicate women to run a 12G like a boss. Here is a video of Susan (our female instructor) shooting full strength buckshot completely unsupported. we do this demo to show how easy it is to manage recoil once you've been taught how to do it.

Top Bottom