• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • roscott

Master
    Rating - 97.5%
    39   1   0
    Mar 1, 2009
    I have a 10/22 with a few upgrades, most notably a Kidd steel/aluminum sleeved barrel, and a Kidd trigger. Shoots at least MOA, but haven’t really tested to see if it could do much better. Most importantly, around 4.5 pounds before suppressor, sling and scope.

Kinda feels like a toy, but kills squirrels!

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    Money no object: Vudoo
    Cheaper: Bergara B-14r
    For your revision as light and hunting: Ruger American or CZ. (The Ruger can be had right around 5lbs no optics)
    For auto Kidd.

traderjoe

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 3, 2020
    South Bend area
    I'm shooting an Anschutz 54-18 MSR and it's great. Just not lightweight. Am looking to find a nice CZ to start on a sporter. Have heard nice things about the accuracy which is important to me

Gabriel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 3, 2010
    The shore of wonderful Lake Michigan
    My next rifle will be a Bergara B14R because I can't afford a Vudoo. Beyond that, there is RimX.

I went to buy a B14R and ended up with the BXR for some reason. It's nice, but I'm not a semi auto fan when it comes to fun guns. I only bring it up because with the carbon wrapped barrel it is crazy light. I assume the B14R Carbon is similar.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    [video=youtube_share;O8BnGrvnrww]http://youtu.be/O8BnGrvnrww[/video]

[video=youtube_share;jgbYO9SwtMc]http://youtu.be/jgbYO9SwtMc[/video]

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    My next rifle will be a Bergara B14R because I can't afford a Vudoo. Beyond that, there is RimX.

I went to buy a B14R and ended up with the BXR for some reason. It's nice, but I'm not a semi auto fan when it comes to fun guns. I only bring it up because with the carbon wrapped barrel it is crazy light. I assume the B14R Carbon is similar.

I think the carbon B-14R is just over 4lbs, a very impressive rifle.
    I do have a hard time seeing it as a hunting rifle, but I guess that depends on what hunting.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    How much consistent accuracy difference is there between a high end 22 bolt gun and a middle of the road 22 bolt gun at long range? Assuming of course, that both guns had been vetted for the best expensive 22 target ammo?

100+ yards? 150+?

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I loved my Vudoo but at close to 8lbs minimum I need something lighter. A good friend had an unpleasant experience with Bergara so I'm a little hesitant to consider them.

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    Then I would say Ruger American or CZ, I'm not sure about the weights of the CZ. Or a light Kidd 10-22.

What ranges are we talking about? Generally over 200 yards or under.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I'm out of the long range game so realistically I doubt I'll shoot much past 50yds offhand. I can't shoot prone any longer.

J D

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    Fishers In
    I’ve had an Anschutz 1712 for about 10 years. It didn’t take much work to get it shooting better than I ever will. With money as no object, I’d look at a t bolt through the custom shop.

Last edited:

BoilerWes

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 2, 2010
    Pendleton
    Kidd supergrade with LW barrel. I added a McMillian stock. Probably my favorite gun I own.

Bolt action wise...the Annie’s are hard to beat but sometimes on the heavier side. Proof research is making carbon fiber barrels for CZ 457s...might be worth checking out...but $$$. Probably some custom options out there that run the old 77/22 actions.

At 50 yards on a rest shooting Lapua Center X ammo...I would put the supergrade up against anything. It lights matches, splits playing cards, and in the field, has given more craniotomies to squirrels than I can count.

Old Bear

Greyman Apprentice
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Aug 19, 2016
    Newton County
    I'll through out there a different approach in you search. I have a little collection of vintage Mossberg .22 bolt action rifles. Some of them are more than capable of MOA with their favorite ammunition. My favorite is a model 146B-A. It's an adult size rifle with a 24 inch barrel and a vintage 4x rimfire scope. I can easily punch out dime sized groups at 50 yds with CCI standard velocity rounds. With subsonic loads, its almost as quiet as a silencer. I have taken countless small game with it and it currently in the front of my safe as my go to pest remover.

While every rifle discussed in this thread are excellent rifles, there is something comforting about picking up one of the old classics. The warm aged walnut stock, the worn deep bluing and the buttery smooth action feels like an old friend stopping by for a visit.:twocents:

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    I'm out of the long range game so realistically I doubt I'll shoot much past 50yds offhand. I can't shoot prone any longer.

If that's case I'd say a Ruger mod# 8351, or better yet mod# 8358 if you can find one. Lightweight ready for a can. Savage has some also. I really liked savages trigger but I like rugers mag

bcannon

QC Dept aka Picky F'er
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Apr 13, 2012
    Boiler Country
    The Volquartsen Ultralight Modshot is what I would suggest. 3.7lbs and incredibly accurate. Well suited for a man of your stature and abilities . It isnt a bolt gun but is as accurate as one.

Last edited:

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Will give you 3:

1. Anschtuz M1710. Brother has this. Terrifyingly accurate with almost all ammunition. It is far more accurate than I am, this does not take much, but is an engineering platonic ideal.

2. Lithgow LA101, never shot it. Looks great, complete ulterior motive, I want you to buy it and report to us on this. It has my attention.

3. CZ M452 Scout. Lightweight, outstanding accuracy, mine loves CCI green tag. I bought 5 of them for the nephews and shot theirs, loved it so much bought one for me.

Top Bottom