• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Target shooting bores me. Got my 1022 build sub .5" at 50 yards, sub 500 bucks ( not counting scope ).

That was my goal. Got it. Bye bye

Skip the lever guns and utility stuff no matter how nostalgic.

Buy a mid level sporter (or better) new, and use the crap out of it, make it the well worn classic for the eventual grandkid

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    On a hill in Perry C
    I'll through out there a different approach in you search. I have a little collection of vintage Mossberg .22 bolt action rifles. Some of them are more than capable of MOA with their favorite ammunition. My favorite is a model 146B-A. It's an adult size rifle with a 24 inch barrel and a vintage 4x rimfire scope. I can easily punch out dime sized groups at 50 yds with CCI standard velocity rounds. With subsonic loads, its almost as quiet as a silencer. I have taken countless small game with it and it currently in the front of my safe as my go to pest remover.

While every rifle discussed in this thread are excellent rifles, there is something comforting about picking up one of the old classics. The warm aged walnut stock, the worn deep bluing and the buttery smooth action feels like an old friend stopping by for a visit.:twocents:

Good point about the golden oldies. We've been so focused on the new hotness we skipped over a whole slew of excellent candidates.

Anyone try one of those Ruger American Long Range Target versions yet?

Reports I've seen elsewhere weren't all that great. Better than the standard RARs but still not even close to the CZ or Tikka neighborhood.

mmpsteve

Real CZ's have a long barrel!!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 14, 2016
    ..... formerly near the Wild Turkey
    Good point about the golden oldies. We've been so focused on the new hotness we skipped over a whole slew of excellent candidates.

Reports I've seen elsewhere weren't all that great. Better than the standard RARs but still not even close to the CZ or Tikka neighborhood.

Remington 581 and 582's. Lightweight, accurate, inexpensive (relatively).

Gabriel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 3, 2010
    The shore of wonderful Lake Michigan

t-squared

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 9, 2012
    Crown Point
    Most of what I've heard isn't particularly positive. Supposedly Christensen Arms barrels in general are pretty iffy. I have no personal experience with them, but what I've read has putt he Ranger out of the running for my next rimfire.

Good to know.....especially since the seem pretty “proud” of them price wise !

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    I went to look at a Cooper yesterday and prepared myself for the price tag but when I got there I was disappointed to discover that it was a benchrest rifle.

Coopers are nice I used to sell them years ago when they used to offer fairly reasonable models, I went to their site a few weeks ago and was shocked at their current prices.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Coopers are nice I used to sell them years ago when they used to offer fairly reasonable models, I went to their site a few weeks ago and was shocked at their current prices.

Yessir the prices for new ones are staggering, I definitely won't be going down that path. Maybe a used one if I came across a good deal.

1775usmarine

Sleeper
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    81   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    IN
    Took my jc higgins (Marlin 81) out today and sighted in a cheap simmons 22mag scope and was getting half dollar sized groups at 25 from a bag with federal 38gr hp.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I'll through out there a different approach in you search. I have a little collection of vintage Mossberg .22 bolt action rifles. Some of them are more than capable of MOA with their favorite ammunition. My favorite is a model 146B-A. It's an adult size rifle with a 24 inch barrel and a vintage 4x rimfire scope. I can easily punch out dime sized groups at 50 yds with CCI standard velocity rounds. With subsonic loads, its almost as quiet as a silencer. I have taken countless small game with it and it currently in the front of my safe as my go to pest remover.

While every rifle discussed in this thread are excellent rifles, there is something comforting about picking up one of the old classics. The warm aged walnut stock, the worn deep bluing and the buttery smooth action feels like an old friend stopping by for a visit.:twocents:

I love all my old Mossbergs (46B, 44 US (c), 346KA, 151M-C), but the 46B, 44 US and 151M-C are pretty heavy rifles, so I don't know if they would fit what phylo is looking for. All of them are tack drivers though!

Here's the 346KA:

FE5Li91.jpg
    [/IMG]

Old Bear

Greyman Apprentice
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Aug 19, 2016
    Newton County
    I love all my old Mossbergs (46B, 44 US (c), 346KA, 151M-C), but the 46B, 44 US and 151M-C are pretty heavy rifles, so I don't know if they would fit what phylo is looking for. All of them are tack drivers though!

Here's the 346KA:

FE5Li91.jpg
    [/IMG]

Nice looking classic. I love my old Mossy's

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    I've owned a couple of Rem 40XB's and just sold my Vudoo barreled action. Some of the recommendations look awesome but I need it to be as light as possible. I guess I'm leaning more toward a hunting style of rifle.

Remington Nylon 66. Owned one for 52 years, never failed. Light weight and accurate.

Clay Pigeon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 3, 2016
    Summitville
    I went to look at a Cooper yesterday and prepared myself for the price tag but when I got there I was disappointed to discover that it was a benchrest rifle.

I have bought about a dozen and a half Coopers over the years and we have all of them.
    Look at Jacksons, the two Customs and the Schnabel wood stocked rifles.. I have a 57 in 22lr and it will shoot as well as either of our Annie's.

Clay Pigeon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 3, 2016
    Summitville
    Yessir the prices for new ones are staggering, I definitely won't be going down that path. Maybe a used one if I came across a good deal.

But wait... Price is irrelevant.... Lol...
    When I bought most of ours they were around 1,100 bucks with standard AA or AA+ wood. My cousins are Cooper dealers and that made it a bit easier. My oldest cousin and Dan Cooper are long time hiking/hunting buddies. When Dan owned the company if you ordered a rifle to be delivered about a year later and could be used in that stores Cooper weekend for customers to finger, he would give you a very good wood upgrade for free.
    I used that option every year it was offered. Every Cooper I have bought, have been amazing shooters...

Top Bottom